Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

2 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

My thoughts are that seeing as the adverts had the prices exclusive of VAT it was clearly being marketed towards corporate sponsors and probably there weren't many tickets left for the open market, including 1924 members.

Sadly a friend of mine and a season ticket holder of 48 years couldn't secure a corporate table or even a single seat.

Poor show as unique events like this are for the real fans!

I managed to get a ticket in the club 1924 sale. Totally agree that the tickets should be exclusively for Airdrie fans and hopefully the pre-sale has allowed that to mostly happen. FWIW someone on the Facebook group has said this is the case, 97% of tickets sold to Airdrie fans apparently, although how they’re privy to that information I don’t know. Good to hear if true as any Man United hanger-ons can f**k off. 

I actually think the speakers should all be Airdrie-related too, although at least Alex Ferguson should have some Airdrie stories! 

Very sad news and didn’t have the pleasure of seeing this man play for Airdrie but have had many a beer fueled pub conversation where some of the older fans have rated him as one of the best. Remember being on a supporters bus to Dundee years ago and some old timer in his 80s banging on the whole way about Ian and saying he was the greatest Diamond he’d ever seen. Telling me stories about individual games he excelled in and his time as manager etc… - and that was in the mid 90s when we were a pretty good team! He’ll be missed for sure 

Yes, remember my dad saying IM was not only the best diamond he’d ever seen, but best player he’d ever seen.

The only others I ever heard him mention in anything like that were Stevie Gray and David Fernandez. I saw IM in action but was too young to really remember. The other two weren’t too bad, so I respect his judgement on this one.

Edited by Sub Parr

I saw Ian McMillan in his first lengthy spell with the Diamonds and he was a standout player , especially as he was like many of players then, part time but he gave it all for us.

His spell with Rangers passed me by but clearly he was crucial to much of their success.

His return to us promised much and it was injury affected but he was still an excellent player.

His time as manager had some of our best days and as the club posted he gave it all again in all the later roles.

Condolences to his family. Hope we have a proper tribute to his contributions. 

15 hours ago, airdrieman said:

I managed to get a ticket in the club 1924 sale. Totally agree that the tickets should be exclusively for Airdrie fans and hopefully the pre-sale has allowed that to mostly happen. FWIW someone on the Facebook group has said this is the case, 97% of tickets sold to Airdrie fans apparently, although how they’re privy to that information I don’t know. Good to hear if true as any Man United hanger-ons can f**k off. 

I actually think the speakers should all be Airdrie-related too, although at least Alex Ferguson should have some Airdrie stories! 

I endorse your sentiments and I was told that Johnny Watson did a one man drama on the great Hughie Gallagher so he should be well versed . 

1 hour ago, FLDiamond said:

Very sad news and didn’t have the pleasure of seeing this man play for Airdrie but have had many a beer fueled pub conversation where some of the older fans have rated him as one of the best. Remember being on a supporters bus to Dundee years ago and some old timer in his 80s banging on the whole way about Ian and saying he was the greatest Diamond he’d ever seen. Telling me stories about individual games he excelled in and his time as manager etc… - and that was in the mid 90s when we were a pretty good team! He’ll be missed for sure 

Yes a great player,and how good he made players look playing with them,

1 hour ago, FLDiamond said:

Yes a great player,and how good he made players look playing with them,

His career as player and manager was long before time, but my dad says that his dad (whom I never knew) always described him as best striker of the ball he'd ever seen. 

One of the greatest Airdrieonians by common consent, and always described as a really good man by all who knew him.  RIP, Wee Prime Minister.

Director’s son
Ball boy 
Player 
Scotland international (5 caps as an Airdrie player) 
Manager 
3 x hall-of-famer (Airdrie, Scottish football and Rangers) 
President 

The greatest Airdrieonian. RIP Ian McMillan.

a2d215dc-7df0-48ce-abf5-8aec407147dc.jpeg

751b7f79-7db1-4659-96e2-a949fcdb90f0.jpeg

c3ab7481-90c9-4a07-837a-712217edf60b.jpeg

543d15c4-ca7c-4068-a4eb-6be62fc46486.jpeg

1ec2f2f3-0301-4ac9-bd9c-a69808fc4606.jpeg

4692dcaa-a650-4d93-b519-9ea0d7866517.jpeg

5fc909e1-4b8b-45b4-808a-494b6032f692.jpeg

0546514c-9040-4baf-b4e2-fb560560b565.jpeg

1d124c2b-4b19-401f-a7a2-7575a757cc89.jpeg

337cd750-c484-41a5-9478-caa01fb02c5f.jpeg

IMG_3624.jpeg

5c707e27-95b4-4e90-85dc-967685ef8c3c.jpeg

a77c9431-4bcc-439e-afaa-f99b56cf5c87.jpeg

Met Ian McMillan when I was the mascot in September 2004. A true gentleman and always a treasure to speak to on the occasions I met him. Was always struck by how humble he was given his talent and the career he had. 

IMG_3629.jpeg

IMG_3630.jpeg

17 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I endorse your sentiments and I was told that Johnny Watson did a one man drama on the great Hughie Gallagher so he should be well versed . 

I hope he remembers his lines! 

IMG_3638.jpeg