Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

Our poor away from and struggles in the final third are both well documented but I was having a look at our record in games after scoring v conceding the first goal. Excluding the 0-0 against Morton, the difference between them is quite stark:

Scored Opening Goal
P9 W6 D2 L1 (Dunfermline away)

Conceded Opening Goal
P13 W2 (Partick Thistle, Queen’s Park) D1 L10

Pretty much every game this season has been tight, even games like today where we’re miles off it for the first period of the game we end up only losing by a goal. The frustrating trend is in games, particularly away from home (Dundee United, Arbroath, Inverness, Partick Thistle, Ayr, Morton), where we concede in the first half and then struggle to get back into the game. I certainly don’t expect us to win most of those games but even so, with plenty of away games left that’s definitely something we need to improve on.

Couldn't work out our formation/strategies in most of the game today and the players also looked uncertain. Don't want to single out but Todororov was left to plod away while the others were good at keeping possession but going nowhere for much of the match till we scored. I'll exempt Dycey for his goal and battling away in the second half. 

Tough times ahead and as Mr November posted we need to score first, certainly against QP next week. I'm not going to give the Arabs any money.

13 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

All over in 15 mins,a lot of work to do to get back to winning ways ,we have stood still while teams around have strengthened,

We have signed Lyall & Donnell and although early days, both have still to impress.

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

We have signed Lyall & Donnell and although early days, both have still to impress.

The balance isn’t right - so many midfielders (young and experienced) not contributing enough in the way of goals or even a goal threat - and we bring in even more. We needed strengthening up front and probably another centre half to help Dycey out/cover. No idea why we asked ATS to step in yesterday in a game like that after we’ve not seen him for months (?) - can’t remember last time he played. 

2 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Strengthened indeed, journeyman that know this league is what is needed,but as long as the majority's happy and the manager and the boys in there are happy with our progress of high risk high reward we will be fine ,

44 minutes ago, She who dares gins said:

The balance isn’t right - so many midfielders (young and experienced) not contributing enough in the way of goals or even a goal threat - and we bring in even more. We needed strengthening up front and probably another centre half to help Dycey out/cover. No idea why we asked ATS to step in yesterday in a game like that after we’ve not seen him for months (?) - can’t remember last time he played. 

Agree but given our lack of goals, a forward is a priority, but at this stage with the domestic loan market closing in a few days then there is probably no one good enough or more importantly available.  Most fans thought that Gal & Gabby would do ok this year but it hasn't worked out that way although both have struggled with injuries and perhaps Gal's part time status is a step too far.

Its abundantly clear that, at the moment we can't compete financially with other clubs in this league hence why we sign so many young players but sometimes you have to "push the boat out" for that guy who can make a difference to secure our championship status.

I still believe we are very much on an upward curve and we don't need many more wins to finish 8th but they now have to come against the teams around us. Would be great to get something at Tannadice on Tuesday night but next Saturday against QP is huge where a defeat would leave me very worried.

11 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Strengthened indeed, journeyman that know this league is what is needed,but as long as the majority's happy and the manager and the boys in there are happy with our progress of high risk high reward we will be fine ,

Now now Jack you were shouting out for Aaron Lyall to start last week!

1 minute ago, Kenny_m said:

Agree but given our lack of goals, a forward is a priority, but at this stage with the domestic loan market closing in a few days then there is probably no one good enough or more importantly available.  Most fans thought that Gal & Gabby would do ok this year but it hasn't worked out that way although both have struggled with injuries and perhaps Gal's part time status is a step too far.

Its abundantly clear that, at the moment we can't compete financially with other clubs in this league hence why we sign so many young players but sometimes you have to "push the boat out" for that guy who can make a difference to secure our championship status.

I still believe we are very much on an upward curve and we don't need many more wins to finish 8th but they now have to come against the teams around us. Would be great to get something at Tannadice on Tuesday night but next Saturday against QP is huge where a defeat would leave me very worried.

Agree we need to push the boat out,no comparison playing this league ,we have done well with our budget but think we need to take a chance and bring in a striker and centre back just to try and consolidate,

34 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Now now Jack you were shouting out for Aaron Lyall to start last week!

Using the players we have,just not convinced Big Toddy or gal or McGill are good enough for this league,it was just my humble opinion after watching 1500or more games 

48 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Have we used up all our loanee quota...   Aiken, O Connor, Lyall, Megwa,  Donnell are all on loan..    is 5 not the max at any one time ....

3 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Have we used up all our loanee quota...   Aiken, O Connor, Lyall, Megwa,  Donnell are all on loan..    is 5 not the max at any one time ....

I think it’s max five from Scotland (with max three from the same club), so Donnell wouldn’t count for that. Still a space left for a non-Hibs loanee.

6 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I think it’s max five from Scotland (with max three from the same club), so Donnell wouldn’t count for that. Still a space left for a non-Hibs loanee.

Thank you,  it is quite confusing,  are emergency 7 day loans only available for keepers

4 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Thank you,  it is quite confusing,  are emergency 7 day loans only available for keepers

I think so yeah, though not sure if that’s a specified rule or just what is generally allowed. Was wondering yesterday actually about if Murray Johnston would be allowed to join us on an emergency loan the next time Rae is unavailable even though we already have three Hibs loanees. As you say, it can get a bit confusing.

29 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I think so yeah, though not sure if that’s a specified rule or just what is generally allowed. Was wondering yesterday actually about if Murray Johnston would be allowed to join us on an emergency loan the next time Rae is unavailable even though we already have three Hibs loanees. As you say, it can get a bit confusing.

Unpopular opinion maybe but would cancelling Aiken’s loan due this injury and look to bring someone else in not be better now. Very little sign of him coming back. Not that we give much in the way of updates though. 

Edited by She who dares gins

For me when a team gets in a rut the most important thing is to get back to the basics of what you do well and work from there. Don’t overcomplicate things. Questionable whether or not we can call this a rut yet but it’s three losses in a row (including Hearts game in the cup) and while I generally like to remain positive it is most likely going to become four losses on Tuesday night when we go away to the league leaders.

Three of our best players are full backs, that leaves two options: leave one on the bench or play one out of position. You could argue that a back 5 means playing all three out of position, and it’s also a change away from the system we’ve been most successful with. I think we’ve either got to have Hancock partner Fordyce at centre back in a 4, or potentially Megwa although he’s not the tallest, or push one of them into midfield. I was surprised to see McGregor dropped yesterday as I think he’s been doing well but we’re now left with very few options out wide with him picking up an injury. I think Gallagher deserves a run in the team over Toddy as well.

Rae

Megwa Fordyce Hancock Ballantyne

Telfer McCabe Frizzell

McGill Gallagher Lyall

I think something like that could work. Not entirely keen on limiting Hancock since he’s been so effective down the wing but Fordyce needs a centre back partner and he might be the player best-suited to that. Could try Megwa at centre back but I’ve no idea how that would go. McCabe could drop back to let Ballantyne come inside and Hancock overlap in theory, but that might be overcomplicating things (especially considering since I’m trying to emphasise not doing that and instead getting the basics right). I thought Lyall looked good taking a man on when he came off the bench against Ayr so a wide role could work, but could just as easily drop him into a midfield diamond and play a front two to maintain the shape we’d been using recently.

6 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

For me when a team gets in a rut the most important thing is to get back to the basics of what you do well and work from there. Don’t overcomplicate things. Questionable whether or not we can call this a rut yet but it’s three losses in a row (including Hearts game in the cup) and while I generally like to remain positive it is most likely going to become four losses on Tuesday night when we go away to the league leaders.

Three of our best players are full backs, that leaves two options: leave one on the bench or play one out of position. You could argue that a back 5 means playing all three out of position, and it’s also a change away from the system we’ve been most successful with. I think we’ve either got to have Hancock partner Fordyce at centre back in a 4, or potentially Megwa although he’s not the tallest, or push one of them into midfield. I was surprised to see McGregor dropped yesterday as I think he’s been doing well but we’re now left with very few options out wide with him picking up an injury. I think Gallagher deserves a run in the team over Toddy as well.

Rae

Telfer McCabe Frizzell

McGill Gallagher Lyall

I think something like that could work. Not entirely keen on limiting Hancock since he’s been so effective down the wing but Fordyce needs a centre back partner and he might be the player best-suited to that. Could try Megwa at centre back but I’ve no idea how that would go. McCabe could drop back to let Ballantyne come inside and Hancock overlap in theory, but that might be overcomplicating things (especially considering since I’m trying to emphasise not doing that and instead getting the basics right). I thought Lyall looked good taking a man on when he came off the bench against Ayr so a wide role could work, but could just as easily drop him into a midfield diamond and play a front two to maintain the shape we’d been using recently.

We do also still have Watson. Yes a mistake against Ayr but that was also in an odd pairing with McCabe. 

Just now, She who dares gins said:

Unpopular opinion but would cancelling Aitken’s loan due this injury and look to bring someone else in not be better now. Very little sign of him coming back. Not that we give much in the way of updates though. 

Whilst I'm a huge fan of Aiken and his energy and ball winning abilities have been sorely missed, absolutely it needs urgently evaluated. Rhys did state that he had a minor set back but there's his fit to return date, then his match fitness date. It would be very harsh on the boy to cancel his loan and perhaps sour relationship with Hibs but the club comes first.

Of course, only if there is a suitable alternative!

13 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Rae

Telfer McCabe Frizzell

McGill Gallagher Lyall

Not really enamoured with the front 3 who for one reason or another haven't impressed but with McGregor potentially injured again and Todorov we have little options other than bringing in a loanee.

20 minutes ago, She who dares gins said:

We do also still have Watson. Yes a mistake against Ayr but that was also in an odd pairing with McCabe. 

I like Watson enough at right back but I’ve never been too convinced by him at centre back. He is certainly more experienced there than Hancock or Megwa but I am keen to see those two plus Ballantyne play. Watson (or McCabe) definitely options to partner Fordyce but that likely means one of Ballantyne, Megwa, Hancock missing out which seems such a waste.