Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

16 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

It's the ultimate free hit!

I’m not so sure.

We’ve not had it this good for a very long time. Next year Rhys and Dycey will be a year older (very obvious I know) but at some point we won’t get away with having 2 key players also being the management team. That will hit the playing budget. 

A lot of bigger teams are having issues this year. Thistle with a need to rebuild last summer, Pars spending on infrastructure and then suffering injuries, Raith trusting Ian Murray to out attacker other teams 🤪

I agree finishing 8th or above is a brilliant achievement. 

IF we somehow get 3rd or 4th, it might be a one off and so I wouldn’t be seeing it as a free hit but more as a once in a generation opportunity to sneak a promotion into the top tier.

The last accounts I saw (to end of June 2022) had us showing about £360K of debt and the club technically insolvent and so dependent on money from PH to keep us going.

We’ve had a really good run since then, play offs, big increases in prize money through league position and cups this year, Devenney to CP etc. but if we could sneak even one season in the top league would be massive financially - debt free and better placed to compete even if we come straight back down. 

In the past Livi and Accies have done it, so I’d be hoping we could hit form at the perfect time and a bit gutted if the chance passed us by.

Next season could be tricky if we lose the loanees and some of our top performers (Hancock, Telfer, Frizz etc.). I’ve thought that every year since the takeover and it hasn’t happened so hopefully if we are in the Championship again next year we can continue to build.

Wild to at this stage that League 1 and the Premiership are probably equally likely outcomes! 80% chance it will be the Championship I reckon! 

1 hour ago, CapitalDiamond said:

I’m not so sure.

We’ve not had it this good for a very long time. Next year Rhys and Dycey will be a year older (very obvious I know) but at some point we won’t get away with having 2 key players also being the management team. That will hit the playing budget. 

A lot of bigger teams are having issues this year. Thistle with a need to rebuild last summer, Pars spending on infrastructure and then suffering injuries, Raith trusting Ian Murray to out attacker other teams 🤪

IF we somehow get 3rd or 4th, it might be a one off and so I wouldn’t be seeing it as a free hit but more as a once in a generation opportunity to sneak a promotion into the top tier.

The last accounts I saw (to end of June 2022) had us showing about £360K of debt and the club technically insolvent and so dependent on money from PH to keep us going.

We’ve had a really good run since then, play offs, big increases in prize money through league position and cups this year, Devenney to CP etc. but if we could sneak even one season in the top league would be massive financially - debt free and better placed to compete even if we come straight back down. 

In the past Livi and Accies have done it, so I’d be hoping we could hit form at the perfect time and a bit gutted if the chance passed us by.

Next season could be tricky if we lose the loanees and some of our top performers (Hancock, Telfer, Frizz etc.). I’ve thought that every year since the takeover and it hasn’t happened so hopefully if we are in the Championship again next year we can continue to build.

Wild to at this stage that League 1 and the Premiership are probably equally likely outcomes! 80% chance it will be the Championship I reckon! 

I am not a financial expert (just ask her indoors).   We are having a decent season financially,  just getting promotion and finishing 8th in the championship we will get double our prize money from last season, that with 100k prize money from Scottish Cup not including gate money from saints and hearts games,  a decent run into knockout stages of League Cup, and a possible 40k to come if we win the Trust Trophy,  I don't think we can maximise much more out of the playing staff, they have exceeded expectations this season,n and let's not forget a 40 percent increase in home crowds alongside increased admission prices,    

Sounds good doesn't it,  it is still pretty perilous,  for us to increase all players wages by 100 pounds a week, say from 500 to 600 (no idea our wages just an example) that would mean a playing budget increase of roughly 250k per annum .....   For all the hopefully many tears to come of Championship football it looks like our crowds and relevant income will always be at the lower end of the league,  which as Colin says this could be as good as it gets for a club our size....

For all his previous faults, PH is at the controls and since he has taken over, he has done a pretty damned good job..

14 minutes ago, Passionate said:

For all his previous faults, PH is at the controls and since he has taken over, he has done a pretty damned good job..

I’ll second that. He’s put his money in, so he gets to say how things are done.

I’m not a huge fan of the guy and how he goes about his business, but can’t fault him in terms of what’s happened on the park. Onwards and upwards (or even just sideways)

1 hour ago, Sub Parr said:

I’ll second that. He’s put his money in, so he gets to say how things are done.

I’m not a huge fan of the guy and how he goes about his business, but can’t fault him in terms of what’s happened on the park. Onwards and upwards (or even just sideways)

He also had some pretty horrendous luck given the Covid season we were well placed and it was a harsh [Murrayball] Loss and No show at Broadwood just before the music stopped. Then coming up against Cove and the QP heart break.

Brilliant to see it going our way since then and as much as I pointed to that internal debt figure finishing 4th rather than 8th would potentially wipe out a massive amount of that 🤞🏻

That’s a decent point, especially given the circumstances of Hutton playing. Eight points from a run of three away games and a home game against an improving Queen’s Park team is a very decent return. 

I’ve been away so I’ve missed the last four games, as well as the win at Kirkcaldy last month, but managed to be at the three defeats in between. Might have to stop going now if this is what happens.

1 minute ago, David Fernández said:

Just a pity that Dean Lyness is currently Hamilton's first choice, he would've been the perfect emergency keeper for the run in.

A terrifying thought. I guess Murray Johnson is the obvious choice for a rolling emergency loan if Hibs are willing to let him go but might be tricky since he's their third choice and they already have a keeper out on loan at Arbroath. 

7 minutes ago, Mr November said:

A terrifying thought. I guess Murray Johnson is the obvious choice for a rolling emergency loan if Hibs are willing to let him go but might be tricky since he's their third choice and they already have a keeper out on loan at Arbroath. 

I'm sure he played for Hibs B in one of the earlier rounds which would make him ineligible to play in the cup final, with Josh Clarke out on loan at Ayr I genuinely have no idea who could come in on an emergency. 

Edited by David Fernández

27 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Can't have more than 3 from the same team so we're gubbed on that front

25 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

I'm sure he played for Hibs B in one of the earlier rounds which would make him ineligible to play in the cup final, with Josh Clarke out on loan at Ayr I genuinely have no idea who could come in on an emergency. 

5 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Can't have more than 3 from the same team so we're gubbed on that front

Both very good points. I was talking about Johnson not being an option recently because of us already having so many Hibs players on loan but it completely slipped my mind there. Looks like the only Consilium keeper in Scotland that isn’t Josh Rae or already out on loan is Zander Clark, so we might have to think outside the box here.

On 09/03/2024 at 11:05, CapitalDiamond said:

I’m not so sure.

Can't remember when we last went to Kirkcaldy ,Dundee, Dunfermline ,and won,so definitely doing something right,.maybe one of them but all three great stuff,

The player's reaction to Josh's injury (broken jaw/cheekbone?) suggested that it wasn't good news and that looks to be confirmed. Big blow but I suppose the search for an emergency loan has already begun.

Gabby coming off early is also a concern especially with Lewis McGregor out which may give more opportunities to Josh O'Connor to provide a bit of pace up front.

image.png.39264d168b395d3294b9c985b9c827a5.png

Edited by Kenny_m

5 minutes ago, diamond_for_life said:

Maybe me being cynical buts that tells us absolutely nothing. Hope he is ok and course that is what’s important but why not say what the outcome if he is taking the time to post “disappointing news” 

Just needs a “PM me chick” reply to someone who asked what the news is. 

I think the "disappointing news" from the player himself tells its own story. Yes I suppose, we don't know how long he's going to be out but probably he doesn't either yet.

4 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

I think the "disappointing news" from the player himself tells its own story. Yes I suppose, we don't know how long he's going to be out but probably he doesn't either yet.

Quick recovery to Josh but not looking good,manager will know what he has to do maybe get some word on McGregor and Aiken ,

4 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Quick recovery to Josh but not looking good,manager will know what he has to do maybe get some word on McGregor and Aiken ,

I heard McGregor was out for 4-6 weeks before the Dundee United game, so possibly still a month or so until he’s back.

I keep forgetting about O’Connor but he might have to start alongside Todorov next week if McGill is out, as I really think both Gallagher and Todorov are too slow to play together in this team and I’d be reluctant to change shape from what has worked really well.