Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

5 hours ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Also heard that Raith have a big “unrealistic” bonus due to each player if they go up. Maybe that’s the reason Skybet were offering 4/1 on them to win tomorrow.

And how would that work, bright stuff? The players are throwing the game so they don't have to receive an "unrealistic" bonus? 

31 minutes ago, moses1924 said:

McStravick and McCabe both missing tonight, team looks a bit bare bones with OConnor starting, would be happy with a draw and get some players back for Tuesday.

Big opportunity for O’Connor. He did very little last week other than winning the penalty but hopefully that’s given him a confidence boost. 

That second half was absolutely terrible, it was as if we were still hungover from the cup celebrations.

That being said at least there's a game on Tuesday to try and make us forget about this. Also Deano is a very lucky boy, that was a straight red card.

On a positive note, there's no more terrible Ayr vs Airdrie/Red Diamond threads anymore! Every cloud and all that eh! 🙄

Not really at it tonight, injuries catching up with us and thought we really felt Rae being absent tonight, we dont play it out from the back nearly as effectively without him in goals. Not panicking about league position as I think we'll be fine but would be good to get a win on Tuesday keep a bit between us and Inverness, especially if they dont win tomorow. 

Agree with the comments above. I expected a bit of a bump back down to earth tonight and we certainly got that. I thought Ayr edged the first half, though we had the slightly better chances and O’Connor took his really well. 

That start to the second half was abysmal though. Watson has had a great season and has barely put a foot wrong since the last game against Ayr but really poor defending for the first. I thought we looked quite panicky after that and never recovered once the second went in. The subs were odd too, I thought he might have been going full Murrayball but until we changed to a back three near the end it just seemed to be bringing attackers on yet keeping the same tactics which weren’t working. I assume McCabe had an eye on the busy schedule coming up but not sure the subs actually helped much at all. Still, good opportunity to bounce back on Tuesday night, though we’ll need to play better than we did tonight.

Looking at the fixtures the next two games are vital, 4 points from Arbroath and Morton should be enough to keep us above 9th, our run of fixtures after that is quite tough so wouldn't want to be heading into that off the back of a run of defeats. 

40 minutes ago, moses1924 said:

Not really at it tonight, injuries catching up with us and thought we really felt Rae being absent tonight, we dont play it out from the back nearly as effectively without him in goals. Not panicking about league position as I think we'll be fine but would be good to get a win on Tuesday keep a bit between us and Inverness, especially if they dont win tomorow. 

Don't know if you were at the game or not,  but I felt at the game, Hemfreywas decent enough with a few decent saves don't think Rae would have done anything different, if you let teams fire crosses in all game , there will only be one winner...

3 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Agree with the comments above. I expected a bit of a bump back down to earth tonight and we certainly got that. I thought Ayr edged the first half, though we had the slightly better chances and O’Connor took his really well. 

That start to the second half was abysmal though. Watson has had a great season and has barely put a foot wrong since the last game against Ayr but really poor defending for the first. I thought we looked quite panicky after that and never recovered once the second went in. The subs were odd too, I thought he might have been going full Murrayball but until we changed to a back three near the end it just seemed to be bringing attackers on yet keeping the same tactics which weren’t working. I assume McCabe had an eye on the busy schedule coming up but not sure the subs actually helped much at all. Still, good opportunity to bounce back on Tuesday night, though we’ll need to play better than we did tonight.

I'll never be convinced that Watson is a centre back. I really like him at right back and I thought his best games this season were playing there when Megwa wasn't with us. But at centre back he is always going to make too many stupid errors. I was just saying that after Sunday when his needless lunge tackle led to the goal, and then tonight another poor decision costs us again. His mistakes seem to stem from him trying things beyond his ability level, or at least overcomplicating things, like trying to head back to the goalie rather than clear your lines, or lunging in out wide rather than stay on your feet, or passing from the back and giving it away (although in fairness that is manager led). This makes it more frustrating because he has the physical attributes to be a good defender (and has had good games there), but he's been with us long enough now to know that these semi-regular mistakes probably are always going to be there. Like I say at right back I like him and based on Megwa's performance tonight I'd have Watson out there over him, although we then don't have enough centre backs.

O'Connor took his goal nicely so fair play to him for that. However his general play is so far off the standard required. Unless he has 30 yards of space to run into he cannot do anything. He gets shrugged out the way and his touch is awful when played into feet. I know we have fitness issues up front but I'm concerned if he is playing the next few weeks. Frizz shifted between being anonymous and being dreadful, and the rest weren't much better. The team have had plenty praise recently and rightly so, but losing 4/4 to that Ayr team deserves a bit of criticism. They average a point per game against everyone bar us which is relegation form, so to lose every game really is dreadful.

Very disappointing night but a good chance on Tuesday to win and keep/put is in a strong position going into the last few games.

17 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I'll never be convinced that Watson is a centre back. I really like him at right back and I thought his best games this season were playing there when Megwa wasn't with us. But at centre back he is always going to make too many stupid errors. I was just saying that after Sunday when his needless lunge tackle led to the goal, and then tonight another poor decision costs us again. His mistakes seem to stem from him trying things beyond his ability level, or at least overcomplicating things, like trying to head back to the goalie rather than clear your lines, or lunging in out wide rather than stay on your feet, or passing from the back and giving it away (although in fairness that is manager led). This makes it more frustrating because he has the physical attributes to be a good defender (and has had good games there), but he's been with us long enough now to know that these semi-regular mistakes probably are always going to be there. Like I say at right back I like him and based on Megwa's performance tonight I'd have Watson out there over him, although we then don't have enough centre backs.

O'Connor took his goal nicely so fair play to him for that. However his general play is so far off the standard required. Unless he has 30 yards of space to run into he cannot do anything. He gets shrugged out the way and his touch is awful when played into feet. I know we have fitness issues up front but I'm concerned if he is playing the next few weeks. Frizz shifted between being anonymous and being dreadful, and the rest weren't much better. The team have had plenty praise recently and rightly so, but losing 4/4 to that Ayr team deserves a bit of criticism. They average a point per game against everyone bar us which is relegation form, so to lose every game really is dreadful.

Very disappointing night but a good chance on Tuesday to win and keep/put is in a strong position going into the last few games.

I do generally agree. I never fancied Watson at centre back last season either and I do think he’s made fewer mistakes there this season, though a lot of that is probably down to the team being a lot more structured defensively. Agree on Megwa too, I’d have Ballantyne back in on Tuesday night.

I thought I’d be kind to O’Connor as I usually moan about him when he plays but yeah, other than the goal he wasn’t in the game at all. He very much needs a loan spell in League Two next season. McGill or McGregor being fit enough to start on Tuesday night would be a huge boost.

7 hours ago, Mr November said:

I do generally agree. I never fancied Watson at centre back last season either and I do think he’s made fewer mistakes there this season, though a lot of that is probably down to the team being a lot more structured defensively. Agree on Megwa too, I’d have Ballantyne back in on Tuesday night.

I thought I’d be kind to O’Connor as I usually moan about him when he plays but yeah, other than the goal he wasn’t in the game at all. He very much needs a loan spell in League Two next season. McGill or McGregor being fit enough to start on Tuesday night would be a huge boost.

Megwa certainly had his poorest game to date in an Airdrie shirt to date but not sure I'd be dropping him with Ballantyne's fitness still a bit off although I'm a huge fan. Watson has been excellent recently at CB but always has an error in him no matter what position he plays.

Lyall is beginning to frustrate the life out of me, talented yes, but other than his performance against Arbroath he's not doing nearly enough. Absolutely anonymous in the 1st half last night and can't keep dipping in and out of games. With Telfer not having his performance either last night, no one else stepped up though.

Still early days for Hemfrey but clearly not as comfortable as Rae on the ball and I'm really concerned about him on cross balls, and not just the 2nd goal last night. I'm still prepared to put it down to lack of game time but I'm a tad worried.

An absolute certainty to me that McGill or McGregor will play against Arbroath on Tuesday, maybe even both in which all of sudden is our biggest game of the season.

On to today's matches and I will be keeping a big eye on Firhill. An Inverness win would tighten the league even more and heap pressure on everyone up to us especially as they have Arbroath at home the following week.

15 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Megwa certainly had his poorest game to date in an Airdrie shirt to date but not sure I'd be dropping him with Ballantyne's fitness still a bit off although I'm a huge fan. Watson has been excellent recently at CB but always has an error in him no matter what position he plays.

Lyall is beginning to frustrate the life out of me, talented yes, but other than his performance against Arbroath he's not doing nearly enough. Absolutely anonymous in the 1st half last night and can't keep dipping in and out of games. With Telfer not having his performance either last night, no one else stepped up though.

Still early days for Hemfrey but clearly not as comfortable as Rae on the ball and I'm really concerned about him on cross balls, and not just the 2nd goal last night. I'm still prepared to put it down to lack of game time but I'm a tad worried.

An absolute certainty to me that McGill or McGregor will play against Arbroath on Tuesday, maybe even both in which all of sudden is our biggest game of the season.

On to today's matches and I will be keeping a big eye on Firhill. An Inverness win would tighten the league even more and heap pressure on everyone up to us especially as they have Arbroath at home the following week.

Certainly back down to earth with that second half, absolutely no structure to the team ,passing out from back was dreadful and  predictable and slow,and that tackle from mcMaster straight red all day,after our highs we were maybe due a defeat but the  way it came in that second half is certainly cause for concern ,

2 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Hard to disagree with anything the league is still crazy and a bad week could have us in the mire,      regarding the keeper I thought we was commited and dealt with everything pretty well,  I actually thought it was a great cross and header for the second goal, should he have stayed on his line, possibly....   I don't know about Rae situation but I would be surprised is he is not back on the next 2 or 3 weeks,  although season will be about done by then.

2 hours ago, Passionate said:

Hard to disagree with anything the league is still crazy and a bad week could have us in the mire,      regarding the keeper I thought we was commited and dealt with everything pretty well,  I actually thought it was a great cross and header for the second goal, should he have stayed on his line, possibly....   I don't know about Rae situation but I would be surprised is he is not back on the next 2 or 3 weeks,  although season will be about done by then.

Honestly have concerns with the keeper. He looks fine… until a high ball. I think he struggles to judge them. Hopefully just needs some games. And I’m not necessarily blaming him for the second last night (although felt he should have stayed on his line). More a general observation. 

I mentioned the keeper in an earlier post, I would like him to be a success, but their is a reason that he doesn't have a club at this time of the season and he won't have any serious match practice, which might explain his positioning and decisions' I also like Watson as a player, but as has been mentioned, he has a mistake in him and has cost us goals at crucial times in the last two games. It was pretty obvious that Ayr would come out for the second half, fired up and we should have been prepared for the onslaught. 

Not the worst results today in terms of staying up, Inverness only have 5 left and we're seven ahead so a win on Tuesday should be enough. 4th looking less likely with a tough run of fixtures after Arbroath but with Dunfermline and Morton to play it's in our own hands. 

With the keeper i think we could have ended up with worse but we miss Rae not just for his goalkeeping but also his distribution. For next season we need a backup keeper so that there is someone to step in that knows the way we play and is familiar with the players around him.

31 minutes ago, moses1924 said:

Not the worst results today in terms of staying up, Inverness only have 5 left and we're seven ahead so a win on Tuesday should be enough. 4th looking less likely with a tough run of fixtures after Arbroath but with Dunfermline and Morton to play it's in our own hands. 

With the keeper i think we could have ended up with worse but we miss Rae not just for his goalkeeping but also his distribution. For next season we need a backup keeper so that there is someone to step in that knows the way we play and is familiar with the players around him.

Yeah a big couple of weeks ahead. As you say, we’re almost there anyway but one more win and that’s probably enough for guaranteed safety given how many teams are involved. Big few weeks ahead, some tough games as you say, especially with quite a few players injured or just returning from injury.

We definitely need a backup keeper next season but I’m honestly not that fussed if they can play out from the back or not. You’re signing someone who ideally won’t play much and in all honesty isn’t going to be a particularly amazing keeper, so if they’re good building out from the back yet are the second choice keeper at Airdrie then I’d be a bit concerned about their other flaws. If we can find someone who fits that role though then that would be ideal!