Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Even 50% (or slightly less) of a home tie with Partick (crowd 6000+ I'd imagine) would still be a decent bonus for a club our size. But you're right not exactly a 'money spinner'. However the increase in prize money is the bigger thing, think I'm right that it increases quite significantly from 5th to 4th, nearly 100k? For us that's 2 or 3 good players next year.

Not counting any chickens etc,  does all the playoff games money not get pooled and then split evenly after the League take their pound of flesh.   I don't think it is just the game you play,  could be wrong though..

1 hour ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Jim Lister and  Keighan Parker (he shagged Jordan) are the two I can think of.

It was the late Jade Goody who the press had reported on! 

Prize money has become a bit of an obsession of mine when I look at the league table. Jumps £75k between 3rd and 4th and 4th and 5th so it could make a big difference.

I think last year we would only have had about £87.5k and no cup runs so hopefully this all really helps in tying down Rhys and giving him a budget to try and make the top 6 and hopefully Europe next year!!! 

IMG_1159.jpeg

IMG_1273.jpeg

Edited by CapitalDiamond

Brilliant result. I was totally wrong thinking we might focus more on Saturday, McCabe obviously knew he had Murray's number and fully commited to winning tonight. And huge credit to Frizz, I've been quite critical of his lack of end product this season but he stepped up tonight.

A win on Saturday should pretty much secure play-offs.

3 minutes ago, A Diamond For Me said:

I just love this Airdrie team. What a team. What a season. Not just punching above our weight, but landing absolute haymakers left and right.

So much fun isn’t it? Especially these away trips on a Tuesday night.

The lowest we can finish now is 8th.  Season objective achieved with games to spare.   Anything more now after a cup win is definitely a bonus.   Well done to everyone again. 

13 minutes ago, A Diamond For Me said:

I just love this Airdrie team. What a team. What a season. Not just punching above our weight, but landing absolute haymakers left and right.

A draw on Saturday leaves you six clear of Dunfermline with three games to go; a win nine points clear and if you lose it's all still to play for! A massive, massive game.

34 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

And huge credit to Frizz, I've been quite critical of his lack of end product this season but he stepped up tonight.

I think he’s been much improved the last month or so. Not sure if he’s playing a bit further forward?

3 minutes ago, Sub Parr said:

I think he’s been much improved the last month or so. Not sure if he’s playing a bit further forward?

Definitely looked better. I'm sure before the Dunfermline away game last month he had 0 goals and 1 assist in the league from about 25 matches, in the 6 matches since he's scored 2 and 3 assists. That's not counting the assist in the Challenge Cup Final.

I think Frizz has steadily been improving over the last few weeks and tonight we got a glimpse of the player that run a mock in L1 last season.  Brilliant performance from him and the rest of the team deserve a huge congrats on another brilliant result.  It doesn’t end there and the next couple of weeks could see us jump in to third.  Thistle well and truly looking over their shoulder now.  

is it just me or does anyone really give a shit about the opposition, home or away, over the next 3 weeks?  This team are capable of beating ANYONE and probably will.  

well done Rhys and the lads!!♦️♦️

Dare to dream and all that but one of the really brilliant things about all of this is that if we finish 4th we will earn roughly 5x our prize money from last season between the league and all the cup money with much bigger income from crowds and hospitality on top of that.

Building blocks. Get McCabe tied down.

That's 14 goals we have scored in the last 5 league games and not a winger in sight. Going to the back 5 has let Frizz get further forward and Telfer is just everywhere. The freedom and energy those two have is the genius of McCabe's system. The other side of the coin is the way everyone knows what to do when we don't have the ball and the team rush at and just stop the opposition from getting their game going.

When Turner came on he had the class to hold onto the ball and make things happen and McMaster struggled against him. That made a big difference but "Bullet" McGregor was fired from McCabe's tactical gun and what a finish.

McGill has also played a big part in the last few games. He can direct and control the ball as it comes to him in a way that sets things up. Hopefully the fact he is still fresh from being out for such a big part of the season keeps him playing well in the next games too.

Edited by Diamonds on the Windshield

33 minutes ago, Diamonds on the Windshield said:

McGill has also played a big part in the last few games. He can direct and control the ball as it comes to him in a way that sets things up.

You think? I’d suggest it’s more the fact that nobody knows where the ball will bounce when he ‘controls’ it that makes him so effective. Defenders can’t prepare, they just have to react. Against that, his positioning and timing of his runs into areas have really improved during his time with us.
Reminds me of Andy Smith, not the biggest talent but gives 100% and often that’s enough.

Would’ve bitten arms off if offered Championship safety with 4 matches to play. Absolutely viewing anything else from here as a bonus, but what a season it’s been.

Need McCabe tied down sooner rather than later… but the boy on Twitter from Consilium giving it “we’re just getting started” fills me with a bit of confidence that he won’t be offski just yet.