Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

5 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

You're spouting the same theories as @Arab_R_us

That is not a compliment 

I wouldn't worry about it, I dont think Murray would be daft enough to take that job on

But...... we do have a penchant for Airdrie players and Managers 😉😂😂😂

Just now, SirJimmyofNic said:

I wouldn't worry about it, I dont think Murray would be daft enough to take that job on

But...... we do have a penchant for Airdrie players and Managers 😉😂😂😂

A fair point, albeit Dylan Easton was far sexier with us than with you guys 😂

POTY - Callum Fordyce - really stepped up the level this year and his presence and leadership has been vital to our style of play.  The one player we really couldn't do without (but tough choice between him or Telfer)

YPOTY - Kanayo Megwa (can't recall a season with so many strong contenders.   Was between Megwa or Hancock and both were good enough to be candidates for POTY)

Goal of the Season - Adam Frizzell vs Raith Rovers (Goal J) - not as great a list as last couple of years - lots of good goals.  Gabby's goal at Tannadice was a terrific move and superb header.  Thought Todorov's header in the league win against Raith was better than the Trophy SF goal - great run and cross from Hancock. 

Posted (edited)

Went Telfer POTY. Between him and Fordyce and Fordyce probably suffers from already having 4 seasons of being just as good and therefore we've all come to expect it of him. I think I voted for him last year. Telfer has been an 8/10 at least every week and has helped knit everything together.

Between Hancock and Megwa for YPOTY, but went Hancock as he's played more games and contributed with vital goals and assists.

Went for Gal's goal against Raith, didn’t think there was one obvious standout but felt that goal would be fitting given it was such a team goal and epitomises us at our best.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

1 hour ago, CJB said:

POTY - Callum Fordyce - really stepped up the level this year and his presence and leadership has been vital to our style of play.  The one player we really couldn't do without (but tough choice between him or Telfer)

YPOTY - Kanayo Megwa (can't recall a season with so many strong contenders.   Was between Megwa or Hancock and both were good enough to be candidates for POTY)

Goal of the Season - Adam Frizzell vs Raith Rovers (Goal J) - not as great a list as last couple of years - lots of good goals.  Gabby's goal at Tannadice was a terrific move and superb header.  Thought Todorov's header in the league win against Raith was better than the Trophy SF goal - great run and cross from Hancock. 

I wouldn't allow myself to vote for a loan player as POTY or YPOTY.

Haven’t voted yet but leaning towards Telfer for PotY. I actually think he’s our most important player to re-sign and he’s the one I’m most worried about potentially leaving. Which might just be a hangover from how long it took him to initially sign a couple of summers ago. But hopefully playing every week and playing the best and most consistent football of his career will be enough to convince him to stay. 

Really struggling to decide between Hancock and Megwa for YPotY. Both are deserving. Will probably opt for Hancock since he’s played essentially the entire season, as opposed to Megwa who wasn’t in the squad for most of the first quarter and missed a month at new year. Megwa’s been so good though it’d almost be a shame not to see him recognised. I think any of Fordyce, Telfer, Megwa and Hancock could win the PoTY and either of the latter two are a shoe-in for Young Player. 

I usually vote for a goal of importance for goal of the season rather than one based on skill or aesthetics. So ordinarily I’d vote for Todorov’s at Hampden. But this year I’ll be voting for Gal’s against Raith for sentimental reasons. And in any case, it was a cracker and perfectly encapsulates this team at their best. 

8 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Haven’t voted yet but leaning towards Telfer for PotY. I actually think he’s our most important player to re-sign and he’s the one I’m most worried about potentially leaving. Which might just be a hangover from how long it took him to initially sign a couple of summers ago. But hopefully playing every week and playing the best and most consistent football of his career will be enough to convince him to stay. 

Really struggling to decide between Hancock and Megwa for YPotY. Both are deserving. Will probably opt for Hancock since he’s played essentially the entire season, as opposed to Megwa who wasn’t in the squad for most of the first quarter and missed a month at new year. Megwa’s been so good though it’d almost be a shame not to see him recognised. I think any of Fordyce, Telfer, Megwa and Hancock could win the PoTY and either of the latter two are a shoe-in for Young Player. 

I usually vote for a goal of importance for goal of the season rather than one based on skill or aesthetics. So ordinarily I’d vote for Todorov’s at Hampden. But this year I’ll be voting for Gal’s against Raith for sentimental reasons. And in any case, it was a cracker and perfectly encapsulates this team at their best. 

Agree about Telfer although with him being the goto guy all season, the playmaker, chance creater, but with the manager yanking him with half an hour to go on Friday night,   leaving on a fellow midfielder who was having a stinker, as we tried to get back in the game,  Footballers have egos and I would think that would have hurt....

I suppose bringing on 2 19 year olds suited the narrative..

Dycey - being that steady for so long is amazing. Charlie had a lay-off due to injuries but ran him very close

Hancock - just. Going froward he's been great but felt he was less good at the defensive arts and earlier in the season we lost too many goals from players running off him. It got a lot better when we went to a 3 at the back and he had Cammy behind him. Megwa is better defensively but initially more tentative going forward but again that changed when we went to a 3. So overall  Hancock. 

Frizz at Raith for the goal. Just wish he or someone else in our midfield could score more

Dycey for all his great work and making 200. Telfer ran it close but missed a wee spell, although he was so good in the run ins after QP win.

Hancock for being such a powerful presence on the left side of defence and attack, and for his gallus attitude.

I went for Gabby's goal at Dunfermline as it was such a pleasure to silence them, and a great strike. Might have gone for the team goal scored by Gal, if only for thanking him. 

Posted (edited)
On 11/05/2024 at 16:55, Kenny_m said:

Rhys's badges, or lack off have just been discussed on Sportsound and how ironic it is that the most highly rated young manager in the country isn't "qualified".

We were entry status last summer and have until 1st July 2024 to reach Bronze. I'd be shocked if we haven't reached the requirement and it's been suggested on the Bookface page that there's nothing to worry about.

There we are.

image.png.4dd2cb13977b2c11c320bf2ad4cd48ba.png

Edited by Kenny_m

PoY:- Not much between Dycey and Telfer, however having to make a decision Charlie was my darling.

YPoY:- Fair amount of contenders just given age of the team but I whittled it down between Hancock and Megwa, son though would never forgive me if I didn't vote for Kanayo so it had to be him.

GoS:- I gave it to McStravick as it was a fine finish and contributed to us winning a cup.

POTY for me was Dycey, we needed him to step up and perform like he did this year, it was so vital, particularly when we were struggling to score goals. The other reason I went for him over Telfer was because Charlie had bags of talent playing alongside him, Frizz, Rhys, Dean, Murray, every game. Dycey usually had Craig Watson, who let's be honest wouldn't have had anything like the season he did without the big man beside him.

YPOTY was Megwa. Close between him and Hancock but I think there's a chance that Megwa will go on to become a genuinely elite player and I can't remember the last time I said anything like those words about someone who pulled on our shirt for the vast majority of the season.

GOTS I have went for the same goal and for the same reasons as @Caro-Kann above.

12 hours ago, Passionate said:

Agree about Telfer although with him being the goto guy all season, the playmaker, chance creater, but with the manager yanking him with half an hour to go on Friday night,   leaving on a fellow midfielder who was having a stinker, as we tried to get back in the game,  Footballers have egos and I would think that would have hurt....

I suppose bringing on 2 19 year olds suited the narrative..

Telfer had been booked and committed another foul just before being subbed so I would imagine he was taken off to avoid any red cards

Did any of us watch the Partick v Raith play off last night? Personally I couldn't stomach it, so opted for the rough and tumble of the Dumbarton v Spartans game on Alba! 😖 

As for tonight watching the Hamilton v Inverness game, Ridgers doing a Josh Rae and coming well off his line...and punished for it in 5 minutes 😒

So 2-1 to Hamilton, Inverness staring relegation in the face at the end of the first half but recovered well, interesting 2nd leg ahead. 

Any preference as to who we want in the league next season? 🤔 Hamilton will be a better "rivalry" (🙄) and probably a bigger away support, Inverness and greetin' face Ferguson surely we wouldn't miss?! 😩