Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

3 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I just don't buy that, there is no way that the club would only have offered the likes of Frizzell a 1 year deal last summer if he would have accepted 2 or more. Under 23s get 2 years because they will accept 2 years as they aren't established players and want that 2nd year to ensure they get an opportunity to prove themselves. The likes of Frizz, Telfer, McGill etc would not have wanted a 2 year deal last summer as we were relegation favourites and would have been concerned about ending up back in League 1 this season approaching the peak of their careers.

There will obviously be individual cases where the club don't want to offer a 2 year deal, like it seems with Ballantyne. But I'd bet on most occasions when it comes to our higher value players it's that the player would rather only have a 1 year deal than 2.

You're right that this means there will be a lot of change each season. But the only solution is to become an established Championship club so that players have no fears about getting relegated back to League 1, but we probably need another year or 2 in the Championship for that to happen.

Telfer is nearly 29 so is already at whatever 'peak' is supposed to occur in that waster's career. Most players at this level seem to want - or at least claim to want - a longer term deal. They and their weirdo hangers-on trot out the usual garbage about their family wellbeing blah blah blah, when in reality they're engaging in the purest individual mercenary behaviour. 

The concern you raise about relegation might well be true, but could have been solved by offering a break clause to an extended deal if you went down again. None of those players would have any transfer value in League One anyway so the club would lose nothing from that arrangement. 

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Telfer is nearly 29 so is already at whatever 'peak' is supposed to occur in that waster's career. Most players at this level seem to want - or at least claim to want - a longer term deal. They and their weirdo hangers-on trot out the usual garbage about their family wellbeing blah blah blah, when in reality they're engaging in the purest individual mercenary behaviour. 

The concern you raise about relegation might well be true, but could have been solved by offering a break clause to an extended deal if you went down again. None of those players would have any transfer value in League One anyway so the club would lose nothing from that arrangement. 

I'm sure they want a longer term deal, provided it's at the highest level they could play at whilst earning as much as they could possibly earn. But in some cases tieing yourself into a longer deal will impact future earnings if it means you can't pursue a more lucrative option in the future.

I was clear that I wasn't talking about all footballers. As I said younger unestablished players will be happier with a longer contract to give them time to make a name for themselves, plus younger players are more likely to attract a transfer fee and therefore can get out of a club more easily if they need to. Similarly, older and/or more injury prone players I'm sure want more security. The players I was referring to are generally ones who are more established but will still fancy themselves at reaching a higher level/bigger club for their next contract. They don't have anything really to gain by signing for a 2nd year, even with a relegation release clause. Say we'd scraped into 8th place this season and then Partick/Raith/Livi showed an interest, you'd still be tied to a relegation threatened side on a lower wage for another season whereas with a 1 year deal, off you go. The only benefit is insurance against a serious injury midway through the first season but even with that someone like Frizzell would have no problems getting a contract from a Championship club, or even an extension from us.

Whatever you think of Telfer, him signing a 1 year deal last summer has meant he will now have his pick of a few Championship clubs this summer and presumably a nice pay rise whether he stays or goes, same goes for Frizzell, which is really my point in a nutshell.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

33 minutes ago, Diamonds on the Windshield said:

Looking to see if we would get training compensation for Josh Edwards and I came across this

Training Compensation and the Law – Why Dundee United are Paying Up to Rangers for Charlie Telfer (unlockthelaw.co.uk)

I'm pretty sure Dunfermline paid a small fee for Edwards so hopefully we would have a sell on fee of some sort. We won't get training compensation as Dunfermline already paid us money to sign the player.

2 hours ago, Diamonds on the Windshield said:

Looking to see if we would get training compensation for Josh Edwards and I came across this

Training Compensation and the Law – Why Dundee United are Paying Up to Rangers for Charlie Telfer (unlockthelaw.co.uk)

Screenshot_20240612_121631_Chrome.thumb.jpg.b9404f4ff9c3e1bb3915bec54350a38a.jpg

11 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Frizzell stays!

11 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Frizzell stays!

Good news,  hopefully Telfer next and I don't think ATS has been confirmed either,    interesting that Frizz is looking forward to playing with a raft of exciting new signings as per article,  are they here or still to come....

34 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Good news,  hopefully Telfer next and I don't think ATS has been confirmed either,    interesting that Frizz is looking forward to playing with a raft of exciting new signings as per article,  are they here or still to come....

On current evidence, I really hope still to come 🤣🤣

There’s now a decent enough base to build from with players signed from last year and Wilson. 

GK
Watson - McCabe - Wilson - Hancock
Gallagher - McMaster - Frizzell
McStravick
McGregor - Todorov

That’s not a particularly great Championship team, and I wouldn’t want to start games with it, but it’s something to build on. The obvious issue is we need a keeper, at least one starting defender, at least one starting midfielder (two assuming McStravick won’t be back for a while) and at least one starting forward. That is a lot to sign in one window but I’m sure the club have some ideas for that.

Cammy Smith going to be in training with Hamilton, surely we should be looking at someone like him? Would be good to do the donkey work and hold/link up play for Todorov and provide service to him. 

4 minutes ago, KD1711 said:

Cammy Smith going to be in training with Hamilton, surely we should be looking at someone like him? Would be good to do the donkey work and hold/link up play for Todorov and provide service to him. 

28yo journeyman doesn't really fit McCabes signing policy, take it you must be relation or friend since this is your 3rd post of the day for him?

Good news to see Frizzell staying, hoping a few new signings will follow in the near future.  Goalkeeper and striker should be priorities, plus at least one more defender and a midfielder if Telfer goes.  Hopefully a return for some of the loanees from last season. Certainly some Hibs fans I know are expecting one if not both Murrays, Johnson and Aiken, to be heading back to us. 

Also interesting to see Ian Murray today saying he knew nothing of Fordyce leaving Airdrie until the day it was announced (same day as Raith lost in the playoffs). If this is true it lends credibility to the theory that a bust up of some sort with Rhys is what led to Fordyce’s departure, rather than simply chasing a higher wage.  To me this makes sense. Fordyce was part of a successful management team, if he stayed with us for say another 6 months or a year, the potential rewards for moving to be assistant at a bigger (possibly Premiership?) club would be much greater than as a player at Raith. 

1 hour ago, AJ77 said:

28yo journeyman doesn't really fit McCabes signing policy, take it you must be relation or friend since this is your 3rd post of the day for him?

No, just know that he's available and will be training with a team that's 15 minutes away from Hamilton, would rather someone like that have a wage than a half fit McGill. 

24 minutes ago, KD1711 said:

No, just know that he's available and will be training with a team that's 15 minutes away from Hamilton, would rather someone like that have a wage than a half fit McGill. 

We are woefully short on forward players,  with Gall and Gabby not been offered deals,  Rhys must have replacements in the pipeline..

The only rumours doing the rounds even that is at a push are..

GK..   Johnston   Hibs loan

Mid..   Aiken.     Hibs loan

Mid...  Armstrong.  Spartans

RW...   Warnock.   Ex Killie 

STR...  Fisher...   Glentoran fee involved

Take your pick , how is your luck 

34 minutes ago, KD1711 said:

How many times have you watched him play like if you’re comparing him to McGill? Pretty sure ur the same guy who wanted Joe McKee to sign as well🤣

6 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

How many times have you watched him play like if you’re comparing him to McGill? Pretty sure ur the same guy who wanted Joe McKee to sign as well🤣

Ha ha, I will give you the Joe McKee one he is my pal. Watched Smith a few times over the years.