Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

11 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Good signing. Only question would be if there are any assurances that he can't just be recalled at any point when Hibs have their next goalie crisis.

It's on the Hibs story that they don't have a recall option so he's here for the season.

Great to have him back.

2 hours ago, FLDiamond said:

Not surprised that Telfer is one of the last to confirm. Was ridiculous how long it took for him to sign after appearing for us in the NL cup weeks prior.  He’s a journeyman and will sign for whoever is giving him the biggest payday - I’m sure we’ve come at him with a decent wage offer knowing this but he’ll be holding back until our deadline.  Undoubtedly Rhys will want his signature prior to training so we’ve got some sort of organized team/set up to get ready for the season ahead.  Yeah, imagine by Monday we’ll know but imagine the club thought POTY and a decent offer would have him secured by now 

Can’t blame him for waiting tbf. If he gives us the decision before pre season starts then I’m not sure what the big deal is

31 minutes ago, Diamonds02 said:

Can’t blame him for waiting tbf. If he gives us the decision before pre season starts then I’m not sure what the big deal is

I don't blame the player but the club have to move on and Rhys has a budget to manage and I would imagine that Telfer would be looking for top dollar. What if Kerr McInroy, Chris Mochrie or any other of that ilk become available, we can't turn round and say, can you hold on 4 weeks until Charlie Telfer makes up his mind.

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

I don't blame the player but the club have to move on and Rhys has a budget to manage and I would imagine that Telfer would be looking for top dollar. What if Kerr McInroy, Chris Mochrie or any other of that ilk become available, we can't turn round and say, can you hold on 4 weeks until Charlie Telfer makes up his mind.

This.    Exactly.  

we have business to do and no doubt a fair chunk of money being kept aside for CT if he decides to re-sign 

2 hours ago, Diamonds02 said:

Telfer should do what's best for him, no problem with that at all. But from our point of view we are currently reserving a hefty portion of our budget for him while he makes up his mind, all the while players that we could be pursuing in his position are getting signed up by other teams. I'd imagine we have set a deadline for him to sign, or we should be.

26 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Ready for McCabeball again after watching that game. 

That was truly a nightmare.  Not much hope in this tournament but maybe I’m wrong.   Need another new signing to cheer me up 🙁

A real blow given how important he was last season. A club elsewhere in this league is the obvious move but I wonder if he might try for a move down south again? Seems like that was his plan a couple of years ago and when it didn’t materialise he ended up back at Airdrie.

Rae, Fordyce, Ballantyne, Telfer, Megwa & Aiken all gone leaves a massive hole in our squad. What a job Rhys has on his hands and it will be impossible to replace them with untried guys from lower leagues.

There is deffo something short on the contracts for experienced players,  wages, length of contract, both.  That's Cammy and Telfer both knocked them back,    it will be difficult moving forward if we only have a team of inexperienced league in the Championship especially this season's with no noticeable 'ringer' in the league,    Rhys keeps saying players want to join,  well the time is now....

1 minute ago, Kenny_m said:

Rae, Fordyce, Ballantyne, Telfer, Megwa & Aiken all gone leaves a massive hole in our squad. What a job Rhys has on his hands and it will be impossible to replace them with untried guys from lower leagues.

Add to that Gall and McGill and Lyall too who was decent

Makes the rebuild job even harder but expecting 2 new signings in the midfield over the next couple of days to fill the gap with Lyall, Aiken and Telfer not returning. There’s plenty of plans in place, I’m confident McCabe and co have everything under control.

1 minute ago, Passionate said:

Add to that Gall and McGill and Lyall too who was decent

I only excluded them as they were in and out and the others were virtually certain starters when fit, but yes point taken.