Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

Interesting signing, good to have options as Hancock didn't really have any cover last year if he was out, good to see another young player sign with a bit of championship experience behind him. Would still like to see us sign a centre half tho, feel just moving Hancock there is just a bit lazy but then again Bruce won't be here to sit on the bench all season.

Queens Park fans did he turn down a deal at yourselves or did Davidson let him go? 

I'd be tempted to play ATS in the centre of a back 5 to use his experience and height to keep the new defence organized for the first few games in the cup / friendlies. I'd also like to see Watson back at full back because he actually gives us more goals and assists than Hancock.

Watson  Wilson  ATS   Hancock  Bruce

6 minutes ago, Diamonds on the Windshield said:

I'd be tempted to play ATS in the centre of a back 5 to use his experience and height to keep the new defence organized for the first few games in the cup / friendlies. I'd also like to see Watson back at full back because he actually gives us more goals and assists than Hancock.

Watson  Wilson  ATS   Hancock  Bruce

Can’t see Sinclair featuring at all this season 

11 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Queens Park fans did he turn down a deal at yourselves or did Davidson let him go? 

He was offered a new deal, but he's been desperate to actually play for a while now. Remember speaking to his dad last year when we were really struggling and he confirmed that too.

When Robson hit a run of poor form he got a bit of game time; scored a good goal away to Raith as well, but then we signed Josh Scott who is a much more complete left back than Bruce.

Given what I know about him, I'd assume Airdrie have promised him a fair crack at the starting 11 when he was unlikely to ever be much more than a backup here.

Edited by Zanetti

14 minutes ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Can’t see Sinclair featuring at all this season 

But he is our only International and he won't want to give that up.  I only mean for the first few friendlies so he can play beside the new defenders and get a feel for strengths and weaknesses. It will also be easier on the pitch to help them get used to our passing it about at the back. Nice to have some options to try out.

31 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Do signing reveals at this time of day not generally mean another one later on in the afternoon? 

That’s what I was thinking, but don’t want to get my hopes up for another one haha. 

I believe Bruce is a local(ish) boy too, from Bargeddie, so that’s a nice add-on to his signing. Highly thought of and coached by our own Gordon Thomson at one point so he must be a player! 

Going to assume Bruce has been given assurances on game time which he simply wouldn’t be promised at us given how excellent Josh Scott has been since joining in January 

Bruce will turn out to be a good player overtime but i really don’t think he’s necessarily cut out for championship football yet. He’s obviously got talent but he’s extremely lightweight and is caught out a lot defensively and ultimately was at fault for some goals last season. I wouldn’t even class him as a marauding wing back either. He’s happy to go forward but he’s not got the rapid pace or intensity to go by someone on the overlap. He’s more technically efficient with the ball at his feet which ultimately might work perfectly for Mccabe’s system 

All the best to him. Seems a good guy and can’t blame anyone for wanting to get regular minutes under their belt 

5 minutes ago, qpfc said:

Going to assume Bruce has been given assurances on game time which he simply wouldn’t be promised at us

I have absolutely no doubt that your assumption is completely incorrect. Hancock is our best player so he's unlikely to take his place although he might get some game time if we need to move Hancock to central defence but that would not be the preferred option at this time.

McCabe seems to sign a lot of very young players, are some of these signings with a view to developing them to contribute  in a bigger role a year later as opposed to impacting right away? I notice he did this last summer as well signing a lot of very young players, some of whom only played occasionally.

Edited by Benidorm

36 minutes ago, Benidorm said:

McCabe seems to sign a lot of very young players, are some of these signings with a view to developing them to contribute  in a bigger role a year later as opposed to impacting right away? I notice he did this last summer as well signing a lot of very young players, some of whom only played occasionally.

Exhibit A will be Justin Devenny. Came in after being unfancied at Kilmarnock and a half season loan move to Airdrie. Played a season with us then bagged himself a six-figure move to Crystal Palace. If we can do that again every summer or two it’ll go a way to making the club sustainable.

Rhys as a coach obviously believes in himself to make these players better at the club, which in turn allows themselves to go on to bigger things. A lot of the young guys that have come in have mentioned about the football we play as a factor in their signing, so with that in mind surely it makes the players feel more comfortable in a system that will help them develop?

12 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Exhibit A will be Justin Devenny. Came in after being unfancied at Kilmarnock and a half season loan move to Airdrie. Played a season with us then bagged himself a six-figure move to Crystal Palace. If we can do that again every summer or two it’ll go a way to making the club sustainable.

Rhys as a coach obviously believes in himself to make these players better at the club, which in turn allows themselves to go on to bigger things. A lot of the young guys that have come in have mentioned about the football we play as a factor in their signing, so with that in mind surely it makes the players feel more comfortable in a system that will help them develop?

The model is only sustainable if you believe in your young players and tie them down to long term deals, as on 3 or 4 years, we won't though it will be 2 max which will get you little money, probably pennies on a development fee,  For example Dean McMaster who many believe is the next big thing is going into the last year of his deal and can start planning his own future in 6 months time and Airdrie can do nothing about it..  We seem to go down the youth route so far, and th e club Bungee cord draws them back,  you could say the same about wages as well..

We have to be very careful here,  developing young players is what Rhys sees as his strengths,  but IMO results are more important especially in an ultra tough Championship....  Can we get both.... 

We played the narrative well last year and the media soaked it up ,  but we had a very strong experienced core to the team all hitting the prime of their careers at the same time,  they are mostly gone now...   

3 hours ago, qpfc said:

Going to assume Bruce has been given assurances on game time which he simply wouldn’t be promised at us given how excellent Josh Scott has been since joining in January 

Bruce will turn out to be a good player overtime but i really don’t think he’s necessarily cut out for championship football yet. He’s obviously got talent but he’s extremely lightweight and is caught out a lot defensively and ultimately was at fault for some goals last season. I wouldn’t even class him as a marauding wing back either. He’s happy to go forward but he’s not got the rapid pace or intensity to go by someone on the overlap. He’s more technically efficient with the ball at his feet which ultimately might work perfectly for Mccabe’s system 

All the best to him. Seems a good guy and can’t blame anyone for wanting to get regular minutes under their belt 

As others have said we have Mason Hancock ,(just now) who is arguably the best wing back in the league,  tall, fast skilful and has a wicked consistent cross on him,  he will keep him out the team, he is naturally our biggest asset now,  so who knows..

Cammy Bruce must be happy with the situation he has moved to ,  seems a little unusual that he has left a gig at QP which is very similar to Airdrie a talented player keeping him out the side.

1 minute ago, Passionate said:

As others have said we have Mason Hancock ,(just now) who is arguably the best wing back in the league,  tall, fast skilful and has a wicked consistent cross on him,  he will keep him out the team, he is naturally our biggest asset now,  so who knows..

Cammy Bruce must be happy with the situation he has moved to ,  seems a little unusual that he has left a gig at QP which is very similar to Airdrie a talented player keeping him out the side.

Aye and Morton only signed Moffat ,we could do with a player like that ,

29 minutes ago, Passionate said:

developing young players is what Rhys sees as his strengths,  but IMO results are more important especially in an ultra tough Championship....  Can we get both.... 

Either way is finite for a team of our standing, sadly. 

39 minutes ago, Passionate said:

The model is only sustainable if you believe in your young players and tie them down to long term deals, as on 3 or 4 years, we won't though it will be 2 max which will get you little money, probably pennies on a development fee,  For example Dean McMaster who many believe is the next big thing is going into the last year of his deal and can start planning his own future in 6 months time and Airdrie can do nothing about it..  We seem to go down the youth route so far, and th e club Bungee cord draws them back,  you could say the same about wages as well..

We have to be very careful here,  developing young players is what Rhys sees as his strengths,  but IMO results are more important especially in an ultra tough Championship....  Can we get both.... 

We played the narrative well last year and the media soaked it up ,  but we had a very strong experienced core to the team all hitting the prime of their careers at the same time,  they are mostly gone now...   

I'd say rather that we played football well last year, and the narrative and the media followed.  There'll be challenges in replicating anything like that this season coming, but there was real substance behind the hype.