Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

29 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

We have one already in McGregor. A bit mercurial, a bit of mystery, a bit of industry. We don’t need another, thanks.

You think McGregor is as good as Moffat ,I will say no more ,

1 hour ago, A Diamond For Me said:

I'd say rather that we played football well last year, and the narrative and the media followed.  There'll be challenges in replicating anything like that this season coming, but there was real substance behind the hype.

I think it’s a bit of both. Ultimately I think McCabe’s main strength last year was getting the absolute maximum out of our squad but that doesn’t sound quite as catchy as attractive, attacking football with young players.

I’ve said before that I think our young squad was slightly exaggerated previously, the core of the starting 11 was generally quite experienced over the last two years. Outside of a geriatric defence like the Marvin Andrews, Stuart Malcolm, Darren Dods one Forfar had, the Watson, Fordyce, ATS, Ballantyne combination that won promotion was as experienced as you’ll get. McCabe has done a very good job developing young players within that though and clearly is keen to play them. 

The playing style is similar. We play good football but I think McCabe is seen as someone who plays really attacking football, which (rightly so given the results) wasn’t always the case last season. McCabe can also make us quite direct when we need to be, which you’d never know if you only heard about him in the media. He’s nowhere near as naive as he was in the days of the 6-0 Edinburgh scudding but his interviews often have the same soundbites.

The narrative exaggerated both of these things a bit, but they’re absolutely both based on the truth.

13 hours ago, Mr November said:

I think it’s a bit of both. Ultimately I think McCabe’s main strength last year was getting the absolute maximum out of our squad but that doesn’t sound quite as catchy as attractive, attacking football with young players.

I’ve said before that I think our young squad was slightly exaggerated previously, the core of the starting 11 was generally quite experienced over the last two years. Outside of a geriatric defence like the Marvin Andrews, Stuart Malcolm, Darren Dods one Forfar had, the Watson, Fordyce, ATS, Ballantyne combination that won promotion was as experienced as you’ll get. McCabe has done a very good job developing young players within that though and clearly is keen to play them. 

The playing style is similar. We play good football but I think McCabe is seen as someone who plays really attacking football, which (rightly so given the results) wasn’t always the case last season. McCabe can also make us quite direct when we need to be, which you’d never know if you only heard about him in the media. He’s nowhere near as naive as he was in the days of the 6-0 Edinburgh scudding but his interviews often have the same soundbites.

The narrative exaggerated both of these things a bit, but they’re absolutely both based on the truth.

It's something I was quite surprised by when I saw yous play. Playing against McCabe's Airdrie you expect to see an exciting attacking match, and then yous just hoofed it up over our line (effectively, it must be said) for ninety minutes in both of our first 2 games. 

I think yous have probably got a decent manager in McCabe given he has that flexibility, where in comparison Davidson puts out the same 5212 until the end of time

On 18/06/2024 at 20:24, Passionate said:

The model is only sustainable if you believe in your young players and tie them down to long term deals, as on 3 or 4 years, we won't though it will be 2 max which will get you little money, probably pennies on a development fee,  For example Dean McMaster who many believe is the next big thing is going into the last year of his deal and can start planning his own future in 6 months time and Airdrie can do nothing about it..  We seem to go down the youth route so far, and th e club Bungee cord draws them back,  you could say the same about wages as well..

We have to be very careful here,  developing young players is what Rhys sees as his strengths,  but IMO results are more important especially in an ultra tough Championship....  Can we get both.... 

We played the narrative well last year and the media soaked it up ,  but we had a very strong experienced core to the team all hitting the prime of their careers at the same time,  they are mostly gone now...   

McMaster is on a 3year deal 

3 hours ago, AirdrieDaft77 said:

Has anyone heard that we are in for Dylan Corr ? Was talking to a Raith fan recently and he said we are apparently in for him but nothings signed yet. 

19 year old Consilium ball playing centre back. Wouldn't be the biggest surprise in the world!

On 18/06/2024 at 20:24, Passionate said:

For example Dean McMaster who many believe is the next big thing is going into the last year of his deal and can start planning his own future in 6 months time and Airdrie can do nothing about it.

Was about to say we simply don't know how long a deal Dean McMaster is on because the club, rightly or wrongly, choose not to put that information in the public domain. He could have signed an extension for all we know. 

I was about to say that but then saw this reply below so there's no point in me mentioning it now.

3 hours ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

McMaster is on a 3year deal 

Edited by Mybitchunderprotest
Typo

A few squad number updates based on the training pictures, McMaster has 6, Hancock has 3, and Gavin Gallaghee has 18 (maybe getting closer to the first team?)

Think I can pick out all the new lads. Armstrong has 17, McGrattan 15, MacDonald 2, can’t see Wilson or Reid’s numbers. Cannot for the life of me work out who it is with 27. He also has 27 tattooed on his neck. Maybe I’m being silly but I don’t recognise him at all.

Just now, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

A few squad number updates based on the training pictures, McMaster has 6, Hancock has 3, and Gavin Gallaghee has 18 (maybe getting closer to the first team?)

Think I can pick out all the new lads. Armstrong has 17, McGrattan 15, MacDonald 2, can’t see Wilson or Reid’s numbers. Cannot for the life of me work out who it is with 27. He also has 27 tattooed on his neck. Maybe I’m being silly but I don’t recognise him at all.

Obviously these things don’t mean as much these days but I wonder if the plan is for MacDonald to be the starting right back?

I think 27 is Rowley, that was his number last season and I recognise his face from his few appearances on the bench.

3 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Obviously these things don’t mean as much these days but I wonder if the plan is for MacDonald to be the starting right back?

I think 27 is Rowley, that was his number last season and I recognise his face from his few appearances on the bench.

Yep looks like you’re right. Thought he looked a bit too grown up to be Rowley if I’m being honest, born in 2006!

Just a quick question where does Fordyce prefer playing in a back 3 or back 4. If a 3 can he play anywhere and in a 4 does he prefer left or right. We've just signed Hanlon and he prefers left side of CH. Ta

4 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

Just a quick question where does Fordyce prefer playing in a back 3 or back 4. If a 3 can he play anywhere and in a 4 does he prefer left or right. We've just signed Hanlon and he prefers left side of CH. Ta

Think he’d be comfortable in any of those scenarios tbh. He played left centre in a back four but played right before that.

Just now, Diamonds02 said:

Think he’d be comfortable in any of those scenarios tbh. He played left centre in a back four but played right before that.

Thanks 

Having at look at the like for like outgoings v incomings and whilst none of us really know too much about our new guys, what is clear is there's a major gulf in experience.

Rae - Johnson: Most fans seem happy about, but Muzz hasn't reached double figures in senior appearances yet.

Ballantyne - MacDonald: 260 appearance v none.

Wilson - Fordyce: I believe Dycey is a massive loss but he won't be improving at his age. Wilson has played at a decent level and has 150 games games under his belt, albeit nowhere near Fordyce.

Bruce - Megwa: Bruce has experience at this level obviously but tough ask to get anywhere near the levels of Megwa.

Armstrong - Telfer: Armstrong has had 1 full season in League 2 v last years player of the year.

McGrattan - Lyall: McGrattan has over 100 games whilst Lyall's best is yet to come.

Reid - McGill: 30 odd appearances in League 2 with a handful of goals v Gabby with a near 1 in 3 strike rate with 5 times more appearances.

Cal Gallagher, Aiken, Donnell, O'Connor & Hemfrey (and some younger bench fillers) have also departed and players still to come in but what a job Rhys has on his hands with the recruitment trying to replace experience with potential.  

Edited by Kenny_m

34 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Having at look at the like for like outgoings v incomings and whilst none of us really know too much about our new guys, what is clear is there's a major gulf in experience.

Rae - Johnson: Most fans seem happy about, but Muzz hasn't reached double figures in senior appearances yet.

Ballantyne - MacDonald: 260 appearance v none.

Wilson - Fordyce: I believe Dycey is a massive loss but he won't be improving at his age. Wilson has played at a decent level and has 150 games games under his belt, albeit nowhere near Fordyce.

Bruce - Megwa: Bruce has experience at this level obviously but tough ask to get anywhere near the levels of Megwa.

Armstrong - Telfer: Armstrong has had 1 full season in League 2 v last years player of the year.

McGrattan - Lyall: McGrattan has over 100 games whilst Lyall's best is yet to come.

Reid - McGill: 30 odd appearances in League 2 with a handful of goals and with a near 1 in 3 strike rate wit 5 times more appearances.

Cal Gallagher, Aiken, Donnell, O'Connor & Hemfrey (and some younger bench fillers) have also departed and players still to come in but what a job Rhys has on his hands with the recruitment trying to replace experience with potential.  

Is that not what he wanted though,  personally not convinced we tried too hard to keep Ballantyne and Telfer,  

It looks like the club has said , ok we had a once on a generation season,  we have milked it financially as much as we can,  Are we willing to sustain it and substantially increase budget for no guaranteed return .....   No,  8th place is target and that is what we will budget for...

It seems looking at the current players we have a low cost, high potential young squad with 2 lads stepping up from part time football who i expect to be regulars adding to a lack of experience throughout the spine of the team,   and let's not forget we are a coach down this season also with Fordyce away,  hopefully that will be addressed soon also..

9 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Is that not what he wanted though,  personally not convinced we tried too hard to keep Ballantyne and Telfer,  

It looks like the club has said , ok we had a once on a generation season,  we have milked it financially as much as we can,  Are we willing to sustain it and substantially increase budget for no guaranteed return .....   No,  8th place is target and that is what we will budget for...

It seems looking at the current players we have a low cost, high potential young squad with 2 lads stepping up from part time football who i expect to be regulars adding to a lack of experience throughout the spine of the team,   and let's not forget we are a coach down this season also with Fordyce away,  hopefully that will be addressed soon also..

Yeh all managers would love decent budget. I see McPake bemoaning that Dunfermline can't compete financially with other clubs in the division although i would still expect there's to be much higher than ours.

Undoubtably some of the new signings will bomb but we are where we are. Still quite a few to come in which hopefully includes a few quality loanees but interesting to see how these newbies perform.

13 hours ago, Passionate said:

No,  8th place is target and that is what we will budget for...

For what it’s worth, I think this is very prudent. We’ve had a great season just gone but as has been said since around January next term’s division looks a whole lot more open and without a doubt more difficult. There won’t be an Arbroath cut adrift in 10th this year as a safety net if we get it wrong, and without a doubt we are one of if not the smallest budgets along with QP and Dunfermline. Cloth should be cut accordingly.

Anyway, what’s the thinking on the new strip? I think we might see a Red Diamond on a white shirt but not 100% sure.

13 hours ago, Passionate said:

No,  8th place is target and that is what we will budget for...

I disagree, McCabe wouldn't have signed on if the boards expectation was just to finish 8th. 

After the season we've had we'd be silly not to push for 4th place again.

1 hour ago, AJ77 said:

I disagree, McCabe wouldn't have signed on if the boards expectation was just to finish 8th. 

After the season we've had we'd be silly not to push for 4th place again.

It all depends on what the clubs ambitions are,  if they want to be a top 4 playoff team then the budget surely has to match it,  we overachieved last season,  and was truly a memorable season which is in the history books..

We have a squad of 18 now, I would imagine by end of September when the loan window closes we will Have around 22 or 23, so I don't expect much more to come in, we desperately need a goalscorer which we need after letting 2 go recently and not replaced yet..

As I said before I don't think we tried too hard to keep Ballantyne and Telfer and have been replaced it looks with 2 part timers from league 2 and Lowland league,  I hear they are talented players in those relevant leagues...  It is asking a lot to jump to a top 4 championship side.

Rhys and the club ideally want a piece of the playoffs cake,  at the moment 8th looks possibly realistic.