Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

2 hours ago, moses1924 said:

That was exactly my thought, i'm happy with Todorov staying as strikers seem quite thin on the ground but I think if you paying a fee for a player in the hope of winning the league there are other players higher up the list.

Yeah he is a decent player and done well for airdrie but wrong side of 30 I think and we can’t afford a fee. Everyone says we are splashing the cash but that’s not strictly true we lost 3 defenders in the summer and signed 4 and yes two on decent money you would think , but certainly not a Gretna

6 minutes ago, Been going too long said:

Yeah he is a decent player and done well for airdrie but wrong side of 30 I think and we can’t afford a fee. Everyone says we are splashing the cash but that’s not strictly true we lost 3 defenders in the summer and signed 4 and yes two on decent money you would think , but certainly not a Gretna

Big toddy is a youthful 27, he just seems to have been around forever.

21 minutes ago, Passionate said:

No sign of Mochrie,  maybe lost his passport.  😕😗...

Can’t see it, would like to think he’d get a better offer than us. Centre half is more of a priority than another midfielder

6 hours ago, AJ77 said:

Can’t see it, would like to think he’d get a better offer than us. Centre half is more of a priority than another midfielder

Whilst I do think Mochrie would be a great signing, a centre back is a must.

Based on watching the 4 teams sent out over the 4 x 45 mins what team would you go with?

Johnson

Rowley      Watson     Wilson     Hancock     Bruce

McGrattan     Frizzel     Agyemang

McGregor      Ben Wilson

OR

Johnson

Macdonald     Watson     Wilson     Hancock

McGrattan     Frizzel     Agyemang      Armstrong

McGregor      Ben Wilson

McGregor is our secret weapon and his movement when on the ball looks to have gone up a notch. He'll replace Gabby's goals.

Agyemang looks a real find if he can control his temper and what a cool finish for his goal.

Bruce looks like he will slot right in but we will need to get him in the team (hence wingbacks)

Defence needs work and playing together.

13 hours ago, AJ77 said:

Would assume it’s the same 2 trialists from Saturday. McMaster has a slight knock.

The trialists were Bala again and a trialist keeper, who was said to be from Cliftonville so I assume was Oran Donnelly of Consillium. Must admit, I didn’t think he was much cop and he should have done better with a couple of their goals. Controlled the first-half with Agyemang, McGrattan and Armstrong in the midfield. Cooper had some nice touches and Ben Wilson looked sharp when he came on and was unlucky not to score with his first touch. Thought Aidan Wilson had a good game but we definitely need another centre-half. 

Brilliant trip over and big thank you to Crusaders for their hospitality. A surreal but pleasurable experience getting to watch Airdrie with a pint in the stand. 

1 hour ago, Diamonds on the Windshield said:

Based on watching the 4 teams sent out over the 4 x 45 mins what team would you go with?

Johnson

Rowley      Watson     Wilson     Hancock     Bruce

McGrattan     Frizzel     Agyemang

McGregor      Ben Wilson

OR

Johnson

Macdonald     Watson     Wilson     Hancock

McGrattan     Frizzel     Agyemang      Armstrong

McGregor      Ben Wilson

McGregor is our secret weapon and his movement when on the ball looks to have gone up a notch. He'll replace Gabby's goals.

Agyemang looks a real find if he can control his temper and what a cool finish for his goal.

Bruce looks like he will slot right in but we will need to get him in the team (hence wingbacks)

Defence needs work and playing together.

It looks to me whatever formation, we have ,  we will be very narrow...

Johnson

MCDonald.     Watson.     Wilson.   Hancock

McMaster

McGrattan.          Agyemang.          Frizzell

Ben.                         Todorov

Roughly to me that looks not far off best formation and personnel at the moment,  although maybe  Watson to RB and McCabe coming in, or McCabe replacing McMaster..

No real width that I can see apart from Full backs which can be our biggest strength if Mason gets up a head of steam ...

Cammy Bruce turned down a couple of offers from English Prem to sign with us, he'll have been reassured he'll be getting plenty first team action. I think we'll start the season with back 5 with either Watson playing wing back or a new signing. The midfield is anybody's guess atm.

I think back 3 of Watson, Wilson and Mason with Bruce and Macdonald as wing backs is how we make ourselves most robust based on what we have right now. Yes we lose out on Mason going forward as much but I think this is our best defence as it stands.

Deano sitting

Agyemang +Frizz + Armstrong 

B Wilson up front as line striker with midfielders getting forward and interchanging 

that’s how I’d start based on what I’ve seen.

unlike the look of the trialist Bala as well

I'm sure we'll all change our favoured 11 in a months time when the real stuff has started but no one selecting Murray Aiken bemuses me.

Still early days but I'm concerned with how our defence would cope in our 2nd league match at Somerset against the physicality of Oakley & Dowds, maybe bring in ATS to sort out Oakley again!!!!

Oh and Bala wouldn't be for me, has ability but looks too lightweight and remaining budget needs to go to on a centre back.

1 hour ago, AJ77 said:

Cammy Bruce turned down a couple of offers from English Prem to sign with us, he'll have been reassured he'll be getting plenty first team action. I think we'll start the season with back 5 with either Watson playing wing back or a new signing. The midfield is anybody's guess atm.

Do you think we need to sign someone at right wing back? McDonald and rowley have looked more than good enough for me. Particularly impressed by rowley.

21 minutes ago, Diamonds02 said:

Do you think we need to sign someone at right wing back? McDonald and rowley have looked more than good enough for me. Particularly impressed by rowley.

It's all about opinions of course, McDonald looks decent but Rowley won't play, needs to go out on loan and get games.

47 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

It's all about opinions of course, McDonald looks decent but Rowley won't play, needs to go out on loan and get games.

I think we need to remember the quality of opposition and intensity of the games,  a lot were waxing lyrical about Saturday against The Rovers who were a side mainly made up of trialists, who might not even get signed by the struggling lowland league outfit..   Crusaders I thought from the stream were a little ahead on season preparation,  results etc are irrelevant,  time in legs, bonding etc far more important..

My impression like last season is we lack pace at the back and haven't resolved that issue,   we have 3 technically 4 right backs,  McD, Rowley,Watson Aiken I still think Rhys would bite your hand off for Megwa..   I expect to see McCabe play at centre back this season, with so many young players we need to control games and show more game management,   It all depends if McMaster and Hancock remain at the club after the window,  if they don't we appear to have ready made cover in place,   is that why Bruce was signed,  we seem to be shoehorning him in at the moment,    still early days...

1 hour ago, Diamonds02 said:

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

Would agree with Kenny here yes, we need either another Cb so Watson could move into RWB or sign a new RWB.

What position does Mochrie usually play if anyone knows? I know he’s an attacking player but I’m not sure if he’s more of a 10, wide player, or striker? I still think we could do with adding someone that can play up front or in wide areas so I’d be happy if we signed him to play around there.

Would definitely still say centre back should be the priority. I think most of us felt we could have done with another one last season and since then we’ve replaced Fordyce with Wilson so it’s really the same situation. Would still bite your hand off for Megwa at the end of September even if we had 10 right backs on the books.

1 hour ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Would still bite your hand off for Megwa

Is there any news on where Megwa is going next season, presume he'll be out on loan again?