Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

1 hour ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

So first we announced a third kit based one we had in the 70s. Now it’s a home kit based on one from the 80s. What 90s away kit are we getting back?

90/91 por favor!!

Screenshot_20240707-000356.png

I’m a fan of that home kit, for all its only a tweak of colours on last years kit I can see what they’ve tried to do and it works. A very nice homage to the 1980-88 kit, but it should be teamed up with white shorts for the full effect.

Excited to see what the away kit brings. With a red third strip it’s either going to have to be a strange colour (think purple, blue, pink of previous years) and you’d think an off the shelf teamwear design.

24 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

I’m a fan of that home kit, for all its only a tweak of colours on last years kit I can see what they’ve tried to do and it works. A very nice homage to the 1980-88 kit, but it should be teamed up with white shorts for the full effect.

Excited to see what the away kit brings. With a red third strip it’s either going to have to be a strange colour (think purple, blue, pink of previous years) and you’d think an off the shelf teamwear design.

Agree ,  I don't mind nostalgia for cup winning teams, Cup final strips etc,  not for probably a very frustrating and unsuccessful time to be an Airdrie supporter the 80s, I remember those days well..

Onto the away kit, it will be guaranteed to have black shorts,  personally would like an Inter Milan type strip,  we have never had it before ,  probably an off shelf number you are right.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Passionate said:

Agree ,  I don't mind nostalgia for cup winning teams, Cup final strips etc,  not for probably a very frustrating and unsuccessful time to be an Airdrie supporter the 80s, I remember those days well..

In general I'd agree with this, but this kit is in homage to the kit the team wore when I first started watching them so from a personal point of view it's a bit special.

Edited by Davi3j
Shite spelling

4 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Seen Joe McKee hanging around Starbucks when I was getting messages in Lidl there.

Thought Mochrie was @KD1711's chance to redeem his reputation but????????????? 

45 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Thought Mochrie was @KD1711's chance to redeem his reputation but????????????? 

I don't think it was ever in the making, wasn't in a rush to make a decision of where to sign and high wages put McCabe off. Got enough midfielders now.

Centre half still the priority at the moment, can't see any other signings bar one more.

Posted (edited)

Reading regularly about some wild wage levels across the division and while some will of course be absolute nonsense it's fairly well accepted that there will be players on well over a grand a week as a basic before bonuses at clubs across the championship. Anyone got any idea what kind of levels we're looking at?

I had aways been working on an assumption that our top earners would be on 800 a week or so, but have absolutely zero to base that on.

Edited by cb_diamond

9 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

I don't think it was ever in the making, wasn't in a rush to make a decision of where to sign and high wages put McCabe off. Got enough midfielders now.

Centre half still the priority at the moment, can't see any other signings bar one more.

Bala was certainly getting plenty game time and we do lack width,  so I would expect some sort of wide player in order to change things up,  don't know if Bala is worth a deal though..

I actually think we are covered at CB ,  we have 2 loans left , we might have to wait and see how we settle once the action starts up, before glaring flaws come to the surface... 

I hope we don't rue spunking a loan on a reserve keeper...

We need games to start now...

12 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Reading regularly about some wild wage levels across the division and while some will of course be absolute nonsense it's fairly well accepted that there will be players on well over a grand a week as a basic before bonuses at clubs across the championship. Anyone got any idea what kind of levels we're looking at?

I had aways been working on an assumption that our top earners would be on 800 a week or so, but have absolutely zero to base that on.

Not sure but I heard that Frizzell was offered 800 a week , 2 year deal last pre season at Morton,   and he chose to stay at Airdrie thankfully for a one year deal and the skippers armband....

1 hour ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Seen Joe McKee hanging around Starbucks when I was getting messages in Lidl there.

This has reminded me of one of my favourite bits of the close season - @++Ammo - Airdrie++’s wife describing ATS as the “tall sad one” when he goes into Lidl.

45 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

I know for a fact there was no one at the club on 4 figures a week last season due to us losing out on a player on loan because we wouldnt cover all of his £1,000 p/w wages, not sure about this season though. I'd like to think McCabe and Frizz would be highest earners but no idea on what salary plus bonuses.

16 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

I know for a fact there was no one at the club on 4 figures a week last season due to us losing out on a player on loan because we wouldnt cover all of his £1,000 p/w wages, not sure about this season though. I'd like to think McCabe and Frizz would be highest earners but no idea on what salary plus bonuses.

Pen out ,any idea ??

I suspect this will be Mochrie. I'd quite like to have seen him at Pars but I was never convinced he was going to sign, mostly because I don't think his position is a priority at the moment and as such, he'll likely not be a regular starter. So fully expecting him to end up at Airdrie.