Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

It is just another very positive peg in the ground for McCabe's style of management.

He has brought together a bunch of talented youngsters and won their first real match 8-0. This is virtually a new team with Hancock, Watson and Frizz the only regulars from last season. McMaster and McGregor played a number of games last season but neither were first pick. Frizz was the only one tonight who looked a bit rusty and hopefully he can benefit from games under his belt. 

What a difference the good finishing makes when you are creating chances like we do and can then apply the finish.

Edited by Diamonds on the Windshield

9 minutes ago, Diamonds on the Windshield said:

It is just another very positive peg in the ground for McCabe's style of management.

He has brought together a bunch of talented youngsters and won their first real match 8-0. This is virtually a new team with Hancock, Watson and Frizz the only regulars from last season. McMaster and McGregor played a number of games last season but neither were first pick. Frizz was the only one tonight who looked a bit rusty and hopefully he can benefit from games under his belt. 

What a difference the good finishing makes when you are creating chances like we do and can then apply the finish.

This was an interesting comparison for both teams actually. One manager who is good tactically, has his principles and has built a squad to fit them, another who has a “philosophy” because that seems like the right thing to do without actually understanding when to use it effectively.

What a goal fest largely down to capitalising on EK errors from our rapid pressing. Attacking looks like our default setting and very impressive use of pace from our forwards.

What an enjoyable evening. I'll now predict a win at Dumbarton! 

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

I took nothing from that game as EK, just turned in the worst performance I've ever seen.

You could look at it many ways,  we were very good and clinical,  Not many teams scud EK but you are right in all honesty they are in the same non league as Albion Rovers....

I have seen many Airdrie sides struggle against that type of opposition in the past...

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

I took nothing from that game as EK, just turned in the worst performance I've ever seen.

I took 8 goals and as clinical a performance as I’ve seen from us.

Regardless of opposition.

We have regularly seen us huff and puff in these type of games so to not do that last night was excellent.

1 hour ago, Shooter McGavin said:

I took 8 goals and as clinical a performance as I’ve seen from us.

Regardless of opposition.

We have regularly seen us huff and puff in these type of games so to not do that last night was excellent.

I'm still optimistic that we can do well but EK's defending would have sent the "Swally" manager off his nut!

It was important to start with a win and to boost the goal difference while doing so was ideal, the group, or even the second placed teams, could come down to goal difference. It’s hard to read too much into the game itself but I thought we moved the ball a lot quicker than we did at the same stage last season, the speed and movement was closer to McCabe’s first season. Hard to tell if that was because we were getting so much joy in behind their defence or if that’s the standard plan this season. 

I’m looking forward to Saturday, I think it’ll be a much better test for where the current squad are and how they cope against a more structured team. I’m expecting Todorov and McGrattan to start to get them some minutes, maybe one or two of the subs who came on as well just to freshen things up.

26 minutes ago, Mr November said:

It was important to start with a win and to boost the goal difference while doing so was ideal, the group, or even the second placed teams, could come down to goal difference. It’s hard to read too much into the game itself but I thought we moved the ball a lot quicker than we did at the same stage last season, the speed and movement was closer to McCabe’s first season. Hard to tell if that was because we were getting so much joy in behind their defence or if that’s the standard plan this season. 

I’m looking forward to Saturday, I think it’ll be a much better test for where the current squad are and how they cope against a more structured team. I’m expecting Todorov and McGrattan to start to get them some minutes, maybe one or two of the subs who came on as well just to freshen things up.

Would agree with all of that,we'll have a much better idea where we are after the remaining three games.

Glad I won't be able to catch Saturdays game due to work,over 30yrs following the diamonds any time I've turned up in Dumbarton the team haven't,my own personal kryptonite.

11 hours ago, Mr November said:

This was an interesting comparison for both teams actually. One manager who is good tactically, has his principles and has built a squad to fit them, another who has a “philosophy” because that seems like the right thing to do without actually understanding when to use it effectively.

What was interesting was that 4 of our goals came from quick, direct passes through the middle of the park. The others coming from a high press and a set-piece. None from the monotonous slow, possession based build up at the back. McCabe initially played made much more like EK did now but that was quickly kicked out of him by the Edinburgh City game and a few other sobering results, as you say he still wants to keep the ball on the ground but we are much more direct going forward and more pragmatic at the back. EK look like a side who have never had that reality check because their manager has had far superior players at Darvel and EK and therefore will win whatever style he plays.

In games like last night there is a tipping point around 4 or 5 goals where the focus shifts from how good the winning team are to how bad the losing team are. If you win 8-0 the focus will always be on how bad the losing team played, which they were, but also lots to be positive about. Wilson will have much harder days but his goals were very typical striker goals - playing on the shoulder and within the width of the 18 yard box - which is what I was hoping for. Other new signings all look decent. Defence will still be the question given they had nothing to do, we'll see them tested much more on Saturday.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

The highlight last night for me was that our goals were not from taking shots at goal that normally hit the legs of a defender or go straight at the keeper. McGregor's first goal was hit round the keeper with bend that took it in. Armstrong's goal was beautifully placed into the goal and not just a "shot". Wilson's goal from McGregor's through ball was nicely done and again he didn't "shoot" he placed it in the corner with the enough pace. Frizz was still having a shot when put through but he was in the perfect position just to side foot it into the bottom corner.

The difference is we have players that are choosing to score a goal rather than just have a shot.

7 minutes ago, Diamonds on the Windshield said:

The highlight last night for me was that our goals were not from taking shots at goal that normally hit the legs of a defender or go straight at the keeper. McGregor's first goal was hit round the keeper with bend that took it in. Armstrong's goal was beautifully placed into the goal and not just a "shot". Wilson's goal from McGregor's through ball was nicely done and again he didn't "shoot" he placed it in the corner with the enough pace. Frizz was still having a shot when put through but he was in the perfect position just to side foot it into the bottom corner.

The difference is we have players that are choosing to score a goal rather than just have a shot.

Totally agree with this. It was pretty clear that Wilson had actually thought about each of his finishes which you couldn't necessarily say for McGill or Gallagher. I think he’s going to be a cracking player for us.

5 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Can only beat what is in front of you,and we certainly done that, a wee bit credit surely,

EK are obviously very bad, but we've all seen Airdrie teams over the years really struggle in games we should have been winning comfortably, and the massive improvement is still recent enough that I'll enjoy that win rather than just taking it as read. 

5 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

What’s not to be positive aboit

scored 8 goals

good confidence boost

minutes for olayers

best of all is wee mick greeting into his roast chicken