Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

1 hour ago, Airdrie76 said:

This. The facebookers claiming we won’t miss Todorov don’t seem to appreciate he’d have been a good backup - and offers something different, which may have been useful at times (obviously Wilson looks a better player/finisher at this point - and I get why he’d have wanted to go). And another centre half would really help. Last night was the first game I’ve made this season and was really impressed with A Wilson though. Armstrong and MacDonald showed up well too and B Wilson finish was in keeping with what he’s already shown.  We’re already looking very decent especially given the turnaround in players. 

I’m not as optimistic about Reid or Cooper as some of the folk on the Facebook group either. Obviously, it’s way too early to write them off. And it doesn’t mean they won’t get there with game time and McCabe’s coaching. But I’m not convinced either are good enough to be our second choice striker or start regularly with or in place of Wilson. I think Morton last season are a pertinent example of what can happen when the one striker you’re reliant on to score goals gets injured. They went from what was almost looking like a sure-fire play-off place to relegation play-off contenders after Oakley got injured. I’m not saying we’ll necessarily be challenging for the play-offs anyway, or that we’ll end up in a relegation scrap if Wilson gets injured. But it is a worry should Wilson be out of action for any length of time. 

Thought it was odd that McGrattan came on for McGregor, ostensibly a like-for-like change, but, at least from the tele, it looked like he was playing centre mid rather than out wide or at least further forward. Not sure that position will get the best out of him as AFAIK he was always a winger or attacking midfielder at Morton. 

2 hours ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

The Acid Test for this crop of players will have been the Aberdeen match - all of them showed up well and aside from an error here or there could’ve been a good result, but as I’ve said in the Cup thread this might’ve come a bit too soon.

Early days, of course, but I think Ben Wilson looks streets ahead of any striker we’ve had in the last 15-20 years. The composure he has and his finishing that he’s shown so far are so, so much better than what has gone before him. Hopefully he’s on a multi-year deal so we can net a decent fee should another team want him.

Rhys Armstrong is another one I’m extremely excited about. He floats with the ball, happy to have a bit of dig in the tackle as well… but early signs are very good.

It’s been a big squad turnover but Rhys/Jackie/Andy Young have done some job thus far. And to think I was getting worried after seeing Morton’s business early in the window.

Absolutely a test for some and as you say definite positives. Still some rumours circulating though about the futures of McMaster & Hancock and Mason in particular certainly enhanced his last night even though I've seen him a lot better, perhaps he was just more mindful of his defensive duties last night given the opposition.

I do struggle to see how Gallagher is going to get much game time this season so maybe a loan would be beneficial to him if McMaster remains.

Did McGregor take a knock last night or was it just a tactical substitution?

Just as an aside last night ex Airdrie players had varying fortunes:- 

"Long throw in" Paul McKay helped his Clyde team overcome the jaggy thistles at Firhill, after (presumably) moving to get a place in a starting line up  Todorov started his 2nd game for Accies - ironically coming off the bench. Finally poor Josh Rae reverted to calamitous decision making - raced out to the edge of his box and well, yes, you can guess the rest. Keep the heid Josh! 

1 hour ago, Diamonds Are Red said:

Just as an aside last night ex Airdrie players had varying fortunes:- 

"Long throw in" Paul McKay helped his Clyde team overcome the jaggy thistles at Firhill, after (presumably) moving to get a place in a starting line up  Todorov started his 2nd game for Accies - ironically coming off the bench. Finally poor Josh Rae reverted to calamitous decision making - raced out to the edge of his box and well, yes, you can guess the rest. Keep the heid Josh! 

As he charges out you can almost see the cogs going in his head telling him not to dive in and get sent-off, which in fairness he manages! Not that conceding a goal is much better...

Our style of play didn't help him as he was required to be a kind of sweeper keeper so was in these situations a lot, if he's still doing that longer term under a manager who plays like Levein then that would be a concern. Good to see him getting some game time early though as these are the things you only learn from by playing.

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

Absolutely a test for some and as you say definite positives. Still some rumours circulating though about the futures of McMaster & Hancock and Mason in particular certainly enhanced his last night even though I've seen him a lot better, perhaps he was just more mindful of his defensive duties last night given the opposition.

I do struggle to see how Gallagher is going to get much game time this season so maybe a loan would be beneficial to him if McMaster remains.

Did McGregor take a knock last night or was it just a tactical substitution?

Yes just before half time ,could be Hamstring ,like yourself waiting on new on McGregor,between Aberdeen bringing on their main striker and us  losing McGregor it changed the game somewhat ,

2 hours ago, peebles_Dee said:

You might be signing a goalkeeper called Stevie Bausor

Would be a bit of a surprise as we’ve got two good loan keepers already in Murray Johnson and Kieran Wright and he played for a Leicester City XI in a friendly last night. 

4 minutes ago, KD1711 said:

Centre half coming in on loan imminently.

Would be a positive step, Defending last night was good though ,seemed to be a bit quicker , getting blocks in ,overall a very good showing ,

Enjoyed the trip to Aberdeen and thanks to the Aberdonian who got us into the Northfield golf club where a fine menu set us up for the game.

Strange all seated stadium where the home fans stand and you can't see the far end corner, and those seagulls are a right nuisance.

On the game it was a good performance in the first half and a very good goal but the Aberdeen guy missed a right sitter shortly after. It was great to see us score first. Clearly Miovski coming on and McGregor going off altered the flow of the game and there's nothing more I could add to the comments on their goals. It was a good effort to keep attacking at the end and maybe it's true we learned a lot more last night from a defeat.

Another centre back is essential in our physical League. 

Just now, KD1711 said:

Not sure which Mount Florida team plays in the English Championship mate.

Well if the deal with the English club is dead I assumed it was someone based up here, and given that Danny Wilson was recently released and came through at youth level with McCabe it seemed to make sense

2 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Well if the deal with the English club is dead I assumed it was someone based up here, and given that Danny Wilson was recently released and came through at youth level with McCabe it seemed to make sense

The defender is coming in on loan... Wilson is a free agent.