Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

2 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

I think the ref was pretty terrible for both teams, constantly blew his whistle at the slightest bit of contact which really slowed the game down as well as us not moving the back quick enough.

I'm not convinced by Cammy Bruce so far, not sure what he really offers the team, similar to Mochrie, not sure if he's just not fit yet but both failed to impact the game.

Aidan Wilson deserved man of the match he's looked very good at centre back so far.

Ben Wilson is as good a natural goalscorer I've seen since Allan Russell going back to 2007, give him one chance and he'd almost certain to score.

That being said brilliant to get through to the next round and hope to get a glamour tie.

Agree with this (and everything else to be fair!). I think Bruce is very much as Queen’s Park fans described, you can see why he wasn’t a regular starter there. Mochrie doesn’t look fit enough yet and hasn’t done enough so far to suggest he should start next week. 

If McGregor is fit I’d go with the same team that started against EK next Saturday. If not, maybe Aiken in for energy and Armstrong slightly further forward.

1 hour ago, KD1711 said:

How much prize money will be looking at for this? Hopefully a Celtic or Rangers away next. 

At least 60k now, which is up 5k from last year already.

Screenshot_20240727-181514.png

Good cup games as preparations for the League continue.

Obviously Ben Wilson takes that one chance and eased my concerns at how much possession we had but lacked pacy runs beyond a stubborn QOS. Some block on the line stopped us going behind and the second half was in some ways a stroll , especially after that very good second.

Janny had some erratic moments and clearly we need another CB . 

Being in a box today I missed the crowds irritation at the Referee, but just wait till the really rotten ones appear. 

Great to qualify and I'll look in on the draw tomorrow for the seeds. As  Spartans won their group, are they seeded? A financially helpful draw ? 

Roll on to berating Ian Murray. 

49 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Obviously Ben Wilson takes that one chance and eased my concerns at how much possession we had but lacked pacy runs beyond a stubborn QOS. Some block on the line stopped us going behind and the second half was in some ways a stroll , especially after that very good second.

Being in a box today I missed the crowds irritation at the Referee, but just wait till the really rotten ones appear. 

Great to qualify and I'll look in on the draw tomorrow for the seeds. As  Spartans won their group, are they seeded? A financially helpful draw ? 

I don’t think they are, I think the seeded teams are the five teams in Europe plus the three best group winners (Aberdeen, Dundee, Ross County).

2 hours ago, David Fernández said:

I think the ref was pretty terrible for both teams, constantly blew his whistle at the slightest bit of contact which really slowed the game down as well as us not moving the back quick enough.

Gavin Duncan was absolutely fine today. Some of the decisions he got spot on that Airdrie fans were getting irate about were laughable. His only 'bad' decision all day was when he could and technically should have red carded Watson in the 90th minute for kicking out at Zander Craik when he'd got away. Game was dead though, we were already out and absolutely nobody wants the boy suspended for the next round at that stage. Common sense yellow given. Shake hands and head home.

Thought the first half was a good contest. We may even have edged it and if Wright doesnt make a miracle save from McKechnie who knows what happens. But we started with no forwards and then lost our best two midfielders before half time and then lost a goal to the first time we lost Ben Wilson. Game never a contest after that. Second half very comfortable for Airdrie who could maybe have scored more but would have been harsh on us.

Best of luck in the next round. Hope you get a good draw.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Wouldn't mind Rangers as their pre-season looks like it has been crap and are struggling with a rebuild, so if they haven't steadied their ship, its possible to go into a game like that with a little bit of "what if?".

10 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Personally I think mason is every bit as good as megwa especially his final ball,

I agree. I’d meant that Megwa I saw as a better natural defender, but I see Mason as better overall. Megwa’s crossing was poor and he wasn’t a threat from corners etc.

11 minutes ago, CapitalDiamond said:

I agree. I’d meant that Megwa I saw as a better natural defender, but I see Mason as better overall. Megwa’s crossing was poor and he wasn’t a threat from corners etc.

Not sure if the stats back this up but in my opinion in terms of contributing going forward Hancock is in a different league. Megwa could drive forward with the ball which really helped us, but he didn't really do anything with it when he arrived in the final third. Hancock's delivery is far better and is a goal threat. Would happily have had Megwa back but Hancock is a better all round player and will be a bigger loss if he goes.

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Gavin Duncan was absolutely fine today. Some of the decisions he got spot on that Airdrie fans were getting irate about were laughable. His only 'bad' decision all day was when he could and technically should have red carded Watson in the 90th minute for kicking out at Zander Craik when he'd got away. Game was dead though, we were already out and absolutely nobody wants the boy suspended for the next round at that stage. Common sense yellow given. Shake hands and head home.

Thought the first half was a good contest. We may even have edged it and if Wright doesnt make a miracle save from McKechnie who knows what happens. But we started with no forwards and then lost our best two midfielders before half time and then lost a goal to the first time we lost Ben Wilson. Game never a contest after that. Second half very comfortable for Airdrie who could maybe have scored more but would have been harsh on us.

Best of luck in the next round. Hope you get a good draw.

Probably just a personal preference but I prefer a referee just to let the game flow as opposed to blowing the whistle for every soft foul. I felt it did ruin the game a bit and I did think QOS looked like a good footballing side. 

There was also a chance the ref could've played an advantage when QOS could've countered us but the ref blew the whistle and didn't let the play continue, I just thought he was a complete jobsworth. 

Best of luck for the season ahead, enjoy visiting Palmerston for an away day and hope you guys come upto the Championship! 

Edited by David Fernández

2 hours ago, Mr November said:

I don’t think they are, I think the seeded teams are the five teams in Europe plus the three best group winners (Aberdeen, Dundee, Ross County).

Are the seeded teams all guaranteed home advantage in the next round..  sounds weird, heard someone mention it on radio on way back from game.

3 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I think RB is a bigger issue at the moment Bruce struggled,  MacDonald to me looks maxed out in these games,   maybe a new CB would let Watson drop into RWB, 

McMaster really needs to sharpen up also numerous wayward passes today which will get punished against better opposition,   when you play your fullbacks so high and get caught like we did numerous times today..

37 minutes ago, G_H said:

Wouldn't mind Rangers as their pre-season looks like it has been crap and are struggling with a rebuild, so if they haven't steadied their ship, its possible to go into a game like that with a little bit of "what if?".

Given the fact it's seeded, even if you scrape into the last 8 you are then just likely to meet another big side because the seeded teams will mostly have beaten the unseeded teams in the last 16, so the chances of actually getting a cup run to a semi-final or final are so slim that I am firmly in the camp of wanting the biggest pay day possible to fund our league campaign.

In the Scottish Cup I always want the worst team in the competition because with a kind draw you can get very far like Inverness/Falkirk a couple of years back. But with this League Cup format I just see it as a way of making as much money as possible. So mainly hoping to avoid Ross County again this year!

56 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Probably just a personal preference but I prefer a referee just to let the game flow as opposed to blowing the whistle for every soft foul. I felt it did ruin the game a bit and I did think QOS looked like a good footballing side. 

Their was also a chance the ref could've played an advantage when QOS could've countered us but the ref blew the whistle and didn't let the play continue, I just thought he was a complete jobsworth. 

Best of luck for the season ahead, enjoy visiting Palmerston for an away day and hope you guys come upto the Championship! 

I forgot about that vsry obvious advantage he didnt play for us to be fair. He did apologise for blowing his whistle to soon and he did correctly give a foul but he should have waited to see how it did.

56 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Are the seeded teams all guaranteed home advantage in the next round.

No, the 8 seeds will be drawn alternately home and away so 4 will be at home, 4 away.

11 hours ago, Passionate said:

I think RB is a bigger issue at the moment Bruce struggled,  MacDonald to me looks maxed out in these games,   maybe a new CB would let Watson drop into RWB, 

McMaster really needs to sharpen up also numerous wayward passes today which will get punished against better opposition,   when you play your fullbacks so high and get caught like we did numerous times today..

I agree with your general analysis, and that we need competition for RB and CB but I thought McDonald still had plenty energy left. 

7 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I agree with your general analysis, and that we need competition for RB and CB but I thought McDonald still had plenty energy left. 

I thought McDonald was outstanding at Pittodrie and wasn't playing yesterday as he's a certain starter next Saturday.

Anyway our ITK guy @KD1711 has promised us a loan centre back is "imminent" but I would think it will be Watson who drops out rather than McD although next Saturday might come too soon. I wouldn't be surprised if Rhys picks himself in place of Janny next week.

15 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

At least 60k now, which is up 5k from last year already.

Screenshot_20240727-181514.png

Correct me if I’m wrong but aren’t we due at least 68k due to us having a televised match? It would be great if we can get another televised match as the fee goes up to 30k in next round.