Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

48 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

I agree with your general analysis, and that we need competition for RB and CB but I thought McDonald still had plenty energy left. 

My biggest issue is the defence,  at various times in the second half in the lead,  we had only 2 back, RB and Mason gone,  McMaster slack pass and like Aberdeen teams were on us,   League football is totally different to this cup competition..

Best options at the moment IMO for Raith is..

Watson RB

McCabe RCB

Wilson LCB

Hancock LB

that can change obviously if Rhys can get his target signed up,  anybody know any whispers..

3 hours ago, Diamond8 said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but aren’t we due at least 68k due to us having a televised match? It would be great if we can get another televised match as the fee goes up to 30k in next round.

You're wrong. £78k.

At least £60k prize and £18k for the tv game.

30 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You're wrong. £78k.

At least £60k prize and £18k for the tv game.

Even better! That’s a good wage for someone (hopefully another forward or centre back)

4 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

I thought McDonald was outstanding at Pittodrie and wasn't playing yesterday as he's a certain starter next Saturday.

Anyway our ITK guy @KD1711 has promised us a loan centre back is "imminent" but I would think it will be Watson who drops out rather than McD although next Saturday might come too soon. I wouldn't be surprised if Rhys picks himself in place of Janny next week.

Evan Easton from Sheffield United 

27 minutes ago, Diamond8 said:

Even better! That’s a good wage for someone (hopefully another forward or centre back)

Of course you were guaranteed £30k of prize money and knew about the tv game a month ago. They were probably already in your budget. The extra prize is only the £25k or so for progressing + the gate and potential tv money in the next round - get one of the OF away and that's will be into 6 figs. Get Ross County away and go out it might be barely anything. Costs of travel could be about as much as the gate share and it won't be televised.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

5 hours ago, Passionate said:

My biggest issue is the defence,  at various times in the second half in the lead,  we had only 2 back, RB and Mason gone,  McMaster slack pass and like Aberdeen teams were on us,   League football is totally different to this cup competition..

Watson RB

McCabe RCB

Wilson LCB

Hancock LB

that can change obviously if Rhys can get his target signed up,  anybody know any whispers..

I am not going to be too Harsh on mccaster. He is still young. His range is passing is great and he is very comfortable on the ball and with how McCabe is asking him to play. He is going to make mistakes. Was just unfortunate that aberdeen scored from it. Quite enjoy watching him to be honest. He will definitely make us money if we continue to play him and he stays in contract. 

2 hours ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

He was offered but we didn’t take it up

Edited by Aufc

5 hours ago, Passionate said:

Watson RB

McCabe RCB

Wilson LCB

Hancock LB

McDonald, Hancock, Armstrong and the Wilsons have been the best players consistently through this league cup group stage. Our strongest team definitely has to have all 5 of them starting. 

Watson has consistently looked the weakest link in that defence - no chance we should be starting both him in McCabe (who was pretty poor against Aberdeen himself).

Dundee away. Good day out but a tricky draw, they’re a better team now than they were when we beat them at the start of last season and it would have been preferable at home. 

Just noticed Dundee United got a home draw too, so one of those games will need to be moved from Saturday. Hopefully not ours.

Edited by Mr November

27 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Dundee away. Good day out but a tricky draw, they’re a better team now than they were when we beat them at the start of last season and it would have been preferable at home. 

Just noticed Dundee United got a home draw too, so one of those games will need to be moved from Saturday. Hopefully not ours.

If St Mirren win their tie against Valur, they'll be playing on the Thursday before so would have to move their League Cup fixture to Sunday anyway. Reckon our game will remain on Saturday.

3 hours ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Yeah Easton was the defender offered from the Championship club, been told we have another centre half imminent in on loan. 

Funny kind of draw - neither a money spinner nor one where you're thinking "easy, should be in the hat after that", but winning it wouldn't be a wild impossible fantasy and at least it's not a team we're playing four times already this season.  Dundee will obviously be clear favourites, but you never know.

2 hours ago, A Diamond For Me said:

Funny kind of draw - neither a money spinner nor one where you're thinking "easy, should be in the hat after that", but winning it wouldn't be a wild impossible fantasy and at least it's not a team we're playing four times already this season.  Dundee will obviously be clear favourites, but you never know.

No Simon Murray again ,🙈🙈

30 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

So any further news on the CB front?

Was told this boy from Sheff utd was due in training yesterday, hopefully nothing fell through and he's announced before sat.

I felt on Saturday that Mochrie showed some good stuff with some great passes and linked well with the short pass and move style. He looks like he could play a number 10 behind Wilson pushing nice little passes through to him.  Looks like we are going to have another season of very watchable football and the plan has to be to get the ball to Wilson in the box at every opportunity. There was one case in point where Frizz shot straight at the keeper from the edge of the box but a nice short pass to the on rushing Wilson would have left him with a tap in.