Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

On 18/08/2024 at 10:10, Kenny_m said:

There are still a few players who have not yet convinced but unfortunately my mind is already made up on Aaron Reid, at this moment, he's simply not up to this level.

104 minutes played of 630 possible, 28 from 180 against top league opposition. Sounds pretty much like you've prejudged the boy.

On 18/08/2024 at 19:40, Diamonds02 said:

Slightly baffled by the criticism for Aaron Reid. He’s not really had anything resembling a chance and he has great raw attributes. With some coaching and time to bed in he could be a real asset.

This.

On 19/08/2024 at 12:10, Caro-Kann said:

I think Aaron would benefit from a good posture coach or learning about the Alexander Technique!

Decent posture would add another couple of inches to his height.

5 hours ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

104 minutes played of 630 possible, 28 from 180 against top league opposition. Sounds pretty much like you've prejudged the boy.

If we take Rhys's notion that we should be in the promotion hunt seriously then players have to be judged against the level that the manager expects them to attain and to be able to handle the pressure that comes with that.

3 hours ago, G_H said:

If we take Rhys's notion that we should be in the promotion hunt seriously then players have to be judged against the level that the manager expects them to attain and to be able to handle the pressure that comes with that.

It seems to me Rhys has already made up his mind on Reid,  now he needs to source a better option, because it is obvious their was no back up plan for Todorov,    Forward areas are woefully short and a fit McGregor is not the answer either....

19 minutes ago, Passionate said:

It seems to me Rhys has already made up his mind on Reid,  now he needs to source a better option, because it is obvious their was no back up plan for Todorov,    Forward areas are woefully short and a fit McGregor is not the answer either....

How do you know if McCabe has made his mind up on Reid? 

He's been injured for the last few weeks and came on as a sub on Saturday, if he made up his mind about him he wouldn't be playing at all?

The manager has also said in his interview that he's actively trying to sign players, how do you know that isn't a striker? 

The transfer window isn't closed yet so there's still plenty of time, hopefully hear some news this week.

2 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

He's been injured for the last few weeks and came on as a sub on Saturday, if he made up his mind about him he wouldn't be playing at all?

The manager has also said in his interview that he's actively trying to sign players, how do you know that isn't a striker? 

The transfer window isn't closed yet so there's still plenty of time, hopefully hear some news this week.

Like ATS  named on bench but not played even when we are shipping goals,how dare someone post his opinion,

57 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Do you rate Reid then on What you have seen so far...   opinion....

I will be diplomatic and say Rhys realises he is short in forward areas and is looking to improve his options......    That statement means the same as my previous post does it not.....

Reid signed for the club under a fanfare of praise from Rhys,  but his stats and comments from previous loan clubs suggest otherwise,    He may well turn out to be the new Jim LISTER, i very much doubt it though......

We will see the pen this week for sure as a deal is close for a young defender in on loan and it's not young Megwa although that still is being pursued I believe but he seems to be in Grays plans now at Hibs. I have not heard anything about forwards, well nothing concrete. I personally am quite happy with the squad we have but agree that a big target man would not go a miss, but they are hard to find so if not we just need to work on using the personnel much better on the park to support Ben Wilson in games like the last two as he was isolated and resulted in possession being gifted back most times. Looking forward to seeing Sam Graham this Saturday as he should add real steel to the defence and compliment Aiden Wilson very well. 

3 minutes ago, Rocky Rooster AFC said:

We will see the pen this week for sure as a deal is close for a young defender in on loan and it's not young Megwa although that still is being pursued I believe but he seems to be in Grays plans now at Hibs. I have not heard anything about forwards, well nothing concrete. I personally am quite happy with the squad we have but agree that a big target man would not go a miss, but they are hard to find so if not we just need to work on using the personnel much better on the park to support Ben Wilson in games like the last two as he was isolated and resulted in possession being gifted back most times. Looking forward to seeing Sam Graham this Saturday as he should add real steel to the defence and compliment Aiden Wilson very well. 

Thanks for update,   where do you think Rhys sees Watson this season,  I think he is still our best option at RB and gives us physicality and knows how to defend ...  

Can you see any departures that could weaken the team before window shuts..

5 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Thanks for update,   where do you think Rhys sees Watson this season,  I think he is still our best option at RB and gives us physicality and knows how to defend ...  

Can you see any departures that could weaken the team before window shuts..

I don't know how Rhys thinks or what his plans are with Watson but I like the young lad McDonald at right back, Yes he has had two bad moments in the last couple of games but he looks a good young prospect and was excellent in all his previous games and his delivery is brilliant in forward areas, This is a wee diamond that just needs polishing and then we will have a fantastic player on our hands. I am sure he will have learned a lot from the last two games.

I have no issues with Watson and think he will have a part to play over the season but think it'll be from the bench mainly. 

We will see one or two going I think as bids are being made for our guys and if we get a few in I can see a couple of loans happening as well. 

Don't see what the fuss is about saying Reid doesn't look up to it, he doesn't.

Again, I'm delighted to be proven wrong by the young guy, but theres nothing I've seen in the minutes he played to make me even think there's a player there who'll offer something at Championship level.  Same as I think young McDonald's either going to be sugar or sh*te, no inbetween.

9 minutes ago, Rocky Rooster AFC said:

We will see one or two going I think as bids are being made for our guys and if we get a few in I can see a couple of loans happening as well. 

Would have Hancock under the not for sale bracket unless a ridiculous offer is made. McMaster on the other hand I know has had some interest from down south, would be happy to accept some cash for him, much more replaceable than Hancock.

19 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Would have Hancock under the not for sale bracket unless a ridiculous offer is made. McMaster on the other hand I know has had some interest from down south, would be happy to accept some cash for him, much more replaceable than Hancock.

Would agree with this, for me McMaster isn't even an automatic pick even though Rhys clearly rates him very highly. I'm still unconvinced by what our best midfield is, with only Armstrong and Friz in the "should start if fit" camp for me.

1 hour ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Don't see what the fuss is about saying Reid doesn't look up to it, he doesn't.

Again, I'm delighted to be proven wrong by the young guy, but theres nothing I've seen in the minutes he played to make me even think there's a player there who'll offer something at Championship level.  Same as I think young McDonald's either going to be sugar or sh*te, no inbetween.

The problem that Reid and other irregular starters will have is lack of game time. I believe there is no reserve side this year which I'm not sure served much purpose anyway but it is a bit of a catch 22 situation. All dependent about who comes in but could it be that some more might go out on loan if?

Of course as @AJ77 says retaining Hancock is key but if we do get an offer we can't refuse then it needs to get done this week so we can get replacements in. (I believe we have already turned down 200K)

45 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

(I believe we have already turned down 200K)

That's the type of figure I thought we'd accept, must be in a good position if we're able to turn that sort of money down.

It's a really tough balance with Hancock. He's so important to how we play, with a midfield who all want to come inside you saw on Saturday what we miss when he's not driving forward from left-back. It's a gamble to reject good offers this summer and then undoubtedly lose him for nothing next summer. We're doing the right thing by signing players like Hancock, Devenny, McMaster etc. and trying to develop them and sell them on but in such a tight league, without a strong replacement I think losing Hancock could genuinely be the difference between a comfortable season and a relegation battle. 

50 minutes ago, Mr November said:

It's a really tough balance with Hancock. He's so important to how we play, with a midfield who all want to come inside you saw on Saturday what we miss when he's not driving forward from left-back. It's a gamble to reject good offers this summer and then undoubtedly lose him for nothing next summer. We're doing the right thing by signing players like Hancock, Devenny, McMaster etc. and trying to develop them and sell them on but in such a tight league, without a strong replacement I think losing Hancock could genuinely be the difference between a comfortable season and a relegation battle. 

Exactly this and I also believe we asked for 400k!!