Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

9 minutes ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Is he from Dundee anychance ?

Luke Graham would make sense? Recently made his senior debut but was on loan at Montrose last season and was their YPOTY. Left-sided too which is always nice to have. If that is the player that’s been implied I’d be quite happy with him, but not sure how I’d feel about two debutant centre backs playing together tomorrow if that was the case

3 hours ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

As for McMaster, I was a fully paid up card carrying Deano fanboy after the way he started last season but he has blown hot and cold, again I’d be very surprised if anyone was to take a punt on him for more than six figures. I was hoping he’d spend some time in the gym but he still looks like he’d get blown over by a stiff breeze and lower end Championship really looks like his level at the minute.

I've noticed there are a lot of young skinny guys in the airdrie team - mcmaster, mcstravick, aiken etc. They all look like they would benefit from bulking out a bit but haven't seemed to have managed this over their time at the club. Does airdrie not value building size in young players as much as their other attributes, or do they value it but their diet / training programme is not up to standard?

Frizzell may be short but he is bulky and strong, and is rarely outmatched when it comes to physicality. He has the advantage of being a bit older but should be the template for the younger players to try and match in my opinion.

Edited by g martin

29 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Luke Graham would make sense? Recently made his senior debut but was on loan at Montrose last season and was their YPOTY. Left-sided too which is always nice to have. If that is the player that’s been implied I’d be quite happy with him, but not sure how I’d feel about two debutant centre backs playing together tomorrow if that was the case

That’s who I heard aswell 

10 minutes ago, g martin said:

I've noticed there are a lot of young skinny guys in the airdrie team - mcmaster, mcstravick, aiken etc. They all look like they would benefit from bulking out a bit but haven't seemed to have managed this over their time at the club. Does airdrie not value building size in young players as much as their other attributes, or do they value it but their diet / training programme is not up to standard?

Frizzell may be short but he is bulky and strong, and is rarely outmatched when it comes to physicality. He has the advantage of being a bit older but should be the template for the younger players to try and match in my opinion.

This reminds me of a story Willie McGuire (he has many) told me when Airdrie were attempting to build him up and gave him a detailed fitness plan which was to drink 2 pints of Guinness every night!  It didn't work and he remained 9 stone!!

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

This reminds me of a story Willie McGuire (he has many) told me when Airdrie were attempting to build him up and gave him a detailed fitness plan which was to drink 2 pints of Guinness every night!  It didn't work and he remained 9 stone!!

Aye, don't remember him being bullied 👍👍

14 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Stevie May joins Livingston,

A lot of clubs still have plenty of loan slots available,  we have 2,   Loan window closes at end of Sept,    We have a few squad issues that need addressed, and cannot see how we can fill them with the loan market,  with us spunking 2 loans on Goalkeepers ,   Aiken and  Terrell ,  you could argue and say the loan market which we normally excel in has been inconsistent at best so far...

The lad Graham from Dundee is linked hopefully signs,  if he does so,   We have one left and surely that has to kept up our sleeve for any emergencies that may arise at end of sept...

1 minute ago, Passionate said:

A lot of clubs still have plenty of loan slots available,  we have 2,   Loan window closes at end of Sept,    We have a few squad issues that need addressed, and cannot see how we can fill them with the loan market,  with us spunking 2 loans on Goalkeepers ,   Aiken and  Terrell ,  you could argue and say the loan market which we normally excel in has been inconsistent at best so far...

The lad Graham from Dundee is linked hopefully signs,  if he does so,   We have one left and surely that has to kept up our sleeve for any emergencies that may arise at end of sept...

Just have to see what tomorrow brings,3points I hope,we certainly look a bit fragile at the moment to put it mildly,

6 hours ago, g martin said:

Frizzell is 26 whereas the others mentioned are 19/20, it takes years to develop significant muscle mass particularly if you're also focusing on aerobic fitness required to be a footballer. Not to mention Aiken and McStravick have been seriously injured for long spells and needed major operations so they'd be doing well not to lose muscle in their legs, nevermind gain it. I'd say they have similar physique to someone like Billy Gilmour who is older and presumably working with the best sports science teams, so I don't think there's anything to suggest they aren't doing conditioning work.

A 6ft2 central defender with some good experience having played in the U-20 CONCAF as well as Stoke City.  Checks a lot of boxes but really don’t know too much about the lad.  Guessing we’ll have a totally new look defense for tomorrow and not much time for the new boys to get used to our ‘build from the back’ style.  This game could get interesting. 

overall, good signing.   With the timing of the Megwa signing at Hibs I was thinking this was him ‘coming home’ 

46 minutes ago, FLDiamond said:

A 6ft2 central defender with some good experience having played in the U-20 CONCAF as well as Stoke City.  Checks a lot of boxes but really don’t know too much about the lad.  Guessing we’ll have a totally new look defense for tomorrow and not much time for the new boys to get used to our ‘build from the back’ style.  This game could get interesting. 

overall, good signing.   With the timing of the Megwa signing at Hibs I was thinking this was him ‘coming home’ 

Obviously he has a real good pedigree with Chelsea and international youth caps for England & Jamaica and ultimately he may well turn out to be a cut above this level. Hopefully fit enough to do himself justice as he's hardly played any football in the last 6 months due to injury, granted he has started Stoke's U21's games this season.

4 hours ago, Passionate said:

and cannot see how we can fill them with the loan market,  with us spunking 2 loans on Goalkeepers ,   Aiken and  Terrell ,  you could argue and say the loan market which we normally excel in has been inconsistent at best so far...

I believe you can have 5 loans from the domestic and 6 from the international market so just 3/5 and 3/6 spots used.