Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

On 25/08/2024 at 09:07, Passionate said:

Good post,   a lot of square pegs and round holes,  I did take a bit of heart when Mochrie and Reid came on,  didn't turn the game but showed we can play on the front foot and give a couple of defenders something to do,   Gallagher who we tipped to go on loan is now the beating heart of the team and dictating play,  big issue I have a with the midfield is him quite rightly and Agyemang want to play deep,    Agyemang is decent enough ( I think) But not as good as he thinks he is,   we are playing one midfielder too many and it shows with lack of options and space,  cannot see Rhys changing system for anybody though. Which could and is becoming an issue...

Last week of the window and what do we still need, a wide player, a striker,   ??  

Next home game is Falkirk who will be wanting revenge big time,  hopefully we have our act together then,   1500 there yesterday. Already the loyal Airdrie support are slightly on the wane.

Re crowds, the total number at the QP game on Saturday was almost identical to the 2 games against them last season, so no noticeable total drop. However as you allude to perhaps the number in the home end was slightly down and the away fans slightly up (given their optimism compared to last season and our poor result at Ayr?). 

10 minutes ago, Diamonds Are Red said:

Re crowds, the total number at the QP game on Saturday was almost identical to the 2 games against them last season, so no noticeable total drop. However as you allude to perhaps the number in the home end was slightly down and the away fans slightly up (given their optimism compared to last season and our poor result at Ayr?). 

It was always going to be difficult thuis season on the park with the competitive nature of the League with no noticeable 'ringer '   (PT clubs).

I just get the feeling if results don't turn soon the crowds will drop ,  I did feel a slight change on Saturday with hospitality not full and struggling to get a match sponsor....

Hopefully this is isolated and doesn't become the norm,  the club worked so hard to build this back up...

7 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Was at the game ,sure it was midweek,thinking all this time keeper was Roy Baynes,must have got it wrong,

Don't think it was midweek. Checked date as 15/01/1983. Would have been getting dark which would make you think it was midweek!

I was there too. Makes me feel very old!

2 hours ago, Passionate said:

It was always going to be difficult thuis season on the park with the competitive nature of the League with no noticeable 'ringer '   (PT clubs).

I just get the feeling if results don't turn soon the crowds will drop ,  I did feel a slight change on Saturday with hospitality not full and struggling to get a match sponsor....

Hopefully this is isolated and doesn't become the norm,  the club worked so hard to build this back up...

The club have done extremely well to build us back up after a long stint in league one.

If we do go down this season then it’s totally unforgivable given how well we did last season.

The league is anyone’s this year which should have been an incentive for the club to really back McCabe and go for the title but instead we’ve once again chosen the cheaper options when it comes to recruitment. 

I really hope this is just a blip but I can’t see us turning this around with this squad. So disappointing 

43 minutes ago, AB1974 said:

Don't think it was midweek. Checked date as 15/01/1983. Would have been getting dark which would make you think it was midweek!

I was there too. Makes me feel very old!

Aye , some great games at the Broomfield,

1 hour ago, Diamond1924 said:

The club have done extremely well to build us back up after a long stint in league one.

If we do go down this season then it’s totally unforgivable given how well we did last season.

The league is anyone’s this year which should have been an incentive for the club to really back McCabe and go for the title but instead we’ve once again chosen the cheaper options when it comes to recruitment. 

I really hope this is just a blip but I can’t see us turning this around with this squad. So disappointing 

I think it is fair to say the Team aren't fulfilling the supporters expectations,  is that the issue , is it fair....

Looking up the OS we have 26 signed players including loans in and out ex 2 young keepers..   Think about that 26, doesn't matter what age or ability they are still getting paid,, most seasons in League 1 we were running with 18 or 19,   So I think it is unfair to criticise the club /board they have gave Rhys what he wants and if you listen 2 rumours more players to come......   Admittedly there is a definite scattergun approach to signings recently probably due to the Scottish market being completely dead...    It is up to Rhys our highly rated manager to get a tune out of this lot,  Football changes quick at the EK game I said another CH and we will be fine, now we have holes all over the pitch especially upfront where the classy Ben Wilson is trying to do it all himself,   Rhys blundered letting Todorov go with no back up plan,  that is a big issue....

But to reiterate the Club have backed the manager very well IMO,  that leads on nicely to the other side our model / philosophy....  Develop young players and sell them on,   Hancock and McMaster were the 2 who have been linked with moves away,   both going into the last year of their deals,  We really need to sell NOW for this model to work,   unfortunately McMaster has blown his knee and seems to have missed the boat, he will be a free agent at end of this season and any dev fee will be negligible,    Mason Hancock is the prize pony going into the last year of his deal,   rumours abound we knocked back 200k a couple of months back,  knocking that back is very naive for a club at our level,  as I said we have to cash in or out model doesn't work. 60k,  70k we will take no doubt about it, and if we don't he will again walk for next to nothing in the summer....

Interesting couple of days ahead,  we need more than anything 3 points at Accies on Saturday....    We think this is bad, remember we were stranded on a desert island called League 1 for 10 years .

5 minutes ago, Passionate said:

I think it is fair to say the Team aren't fulfilling the supporters expectations,  is that the issue , is it fair....

Looking up the OS we have 26 signed players including loans in and out ex 2 young keepers..   Think about that 26, doesn't matter what age or ability they are still getting paid,, most seasons in League 1 we were running with 18 or 19,   So I think it is unfair to criticise the club /board they have gave Rhys what he wants and if you listen 2 rumours more players to come......   

I noticed on Saturday that Bo'ness United had a keeper playing for them on Saturday and a couple of previous games by the name of Cade Melrose. Granted it may be a different guy with the same name as I couldn't see anything on either their website/Twitter feed or on ours suggesting that a loan/transfer has been done but it's not beyond belief that it's the same guy especially as the only keepers warming up on Saturday were Muz, Wright, Prunty and Hutton. 

It would be nice if such moves were communicated by the club as although Rowley is at Broomhill and Dunlop at Stranraer, only the Dunlop loan was subject of a news item.

3 hours ago, Diamond1924 said:

I genuinely believe in a few months time we’ll be saying we have a much better squad than we did last year. With so much turnover it was always going to take time and the kind of defeats we’ve had can happen with so many young players. Remember it took us a while to get going last year and that was with minimal turnover compared to this year.

Once it clicks we’ll give out a few batterings of our own.

5 hours ago, Passionate said:

Yes, you make a good point. Most, if not all clubs will see a drop in their crowds when results go against them. But when you don't have big crowds to begin with then any drop off is really felt.

9 hours ago, Diamonds02 said:

I genuinely believe in a few months time we’ll be saying we have a much better squad than we did last year. With so much turnover it was always going to take time and the kind of defeats we’ve had can happen with so many young players. Remember it took us a while to get going last year and that was with minimal turnover compared to this year.

Once it clicks we’ll give out a few batterings of our own.

Better give a lot of  players big sticks ,what are you watching ,

6 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Better give a lot of  players big sticks ,what are you watching ,

Notice. The new saints are 3-0 up going into second leg at home tonight in one if the European games ,all the best to them ,

On 28/08/2024 at 15:42, Rocky Rooster AFC said:

The pen is imminent I am led to believe, As I say a lot of rumours flying about just now but a little birdie says one deal is extremely close.  

That's us close to the witching hour,    

Hopefully hear about a forward player today,  is that more hope than expectation though...

If not are we going to put a bit of "spin" on it, with the loan window up at end of sept for loans from the league above..

18 minutes ago, Passionate said:

That's us close to the witching hour,    

Hopefully hear about a forward player today,  is that more hope than expectation though...

If not are we going to put a bit of "spin" on it, with the loan window up at end of sept for loans from the league above..

Last few times we’ve seen the pen was a Friday, so hopefully that pattern continues today!  

2 hours ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

Last few times we’ve seen the pen was a Friday, so hopefully that pattern continues today!  

Would make all the difference if we can bring in a striker to play with Wilson,feel  Wilson will show what he is all about just needs that we bit help,let's see that PEN,

On 26/08/2024 at 13:58, Rocky Rooster AFC said:

Hearts have been mentioned and we have apparently knocked back a mystery £200k bid for him. 

Be interesting as you have a lot of rumours flying about just now and a lot of interest and approaches made.

wait and see if anything concrete surfaces as the week progresses. 

Rocky,  Your the man with the yellow tie on,  what's the latest,   The PEN run out of ink,     you have gave us a bit of hope for a few days there,     We know what we need,  time to deliver....

23 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Thanks for saving this old timer some research!

Talking about old timers,I keep thinking during a match and it could have been a night match ,there was a fox on the pitch,any help there???

19 minutes ago, Jack Reed said:

Talking about old timers,I keep thinking during a match and it could have been a night match ,there was a fox on the pitch,any help there???

Yes there was such an event and I agree under floodlights. I'll check with my other seniors tomorrow at Hamilton. 

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

Rocky,  Your the man with the yellow tie on,  what's the latest,   The PEN run out of ink,     you have gave us a bit of hope for a few days there,     We know what we need,  time to deliver....

From what I have heard we are only really looking at loan market now, One familiar face apparently close to a loan, but don't see anything happening tonight in terms of a signing . A lot of rumours been flying about including a possible move for Ryan Jack so clearly some are a bit extravagant indeed.  

25 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Yes there was such an event and I agree under floodlights. I'll check with my other seniors tomorrow at Hamilton. 

Under the floodlights against Brechin? 
Fox entered via the Nimmo lane end, ran the length of the pitch avoiding all tackles and disappeared up Gartlea rd.