Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

2 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

I'm not sure if McCabe would hang about if we did go down, not something that I can answer, but he's the best manager we've had in 20 years, he got us up to the championship and if he did want to stay, personally I'd back him even if we did go down, I'd be more worried about another massive squad overhaul again in League 1.

The board have backed McCabe before during poor runs of form and Murray to an extent during the Covid season.

If McCabe did leave Airdrie, who would you realistically want to come in? 

I would have McCabe for long term,but if he genuinely can't see we need better quality and more experienced players then what will be will be ,

6 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

If McCabe did leave Airdrie, who would you realistically want to come in? 

I think we know fine well who the no1 target would be if McCabe left tomorrow.

32 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

The board have backed McCabe before during poor runs of form and Murray to an extent during the Covid season.

I think the Board proved their loyalty with Ian Murray as he was heading for a 5th season in charge in League 1 if it wasn't for the Raith approach. Perhaps he'd done the groundwork and Rhys stepped in and took the glory, we'll never know. 

2 hours ago, Jack Reed said:

Not many teams can successfully play out from the back ,it really does take a lot of quality and in afraid we don't come near it at moment,you did mention stubborn and may well be,on the other hand we don't want a manager that doesn't believe in his method ,Just got to hope the injuries ease a bit then take it from there,

After about 15/20 minutes in the game at the start of the season, me and my mate were saying how we were even getting frustrated with how you continued to play out after continuously getting caught out with our high press.  Sometimes in certain games you just need to adapt and switch it up.

If I were an Airdrie fan, I'd really like to see the playing out from the back ditched for a more pragmatic approach, at least until players are back from injury. I suspect the comments about lack of quality to keep doing it are on the money, but everyone knows that's what you're going to do so it's easy to get after you.

How change is an issue, though. Ben Wilson should be a decent signing at this level, but it looks like he needs someone to play off and I don't think you've got someone like that?

4 minutes ago, edinburghhonestman said:

If I were an Airdrie fan, I'd really like to see the playing out from the back ditched for a more pragmatic approach, at least until players are back from injury. I suspect the comments about lack of quality to keep doing it are on the money, but everyone knows that's what you're going to do so it's easy to get after you.

How change is an issue, though. Ben Wilson should be a decent signing at this level, but it looks like he needs someone to play off and I don't think you've got someone like that?

Yeah, Wilson clearly can’t play up there on his own and Aaron Reid is our only other proper first team striker who isn’t considered “one for the future”. Reid looks a handful at times, two goals so far, but even then he feels like a downgrade on Todorov and McGill. We haven’t seen them start together in the league other than against Falkirk, when we looked even worse once Reid was subbed, and more pertinently, Reid is now out injured for 6-7 weeks, which is a real blow for the reason you’ve mentioned.

A George Oakley type would transform this team. Someone who can hold the ball up to relieve pressure, add some quality going forward and be a bit of a shit when needed.

1 hour ago, callum-ayr said:

After about 15/20 minutes in the game at the start of the season, me and my mate were saying how we were even getting frustrated with how you continued to play out after continuously getting caught out with our high press.  Sometimes in certain games you just need to adapt and switch it up.

Think a lot of us are of the same opinion ,pity our opinion doesn't count for much,

8 hours ago, Passionate said:

That's very risky business plan an policy,  do you think McCabe will hang about and will the club want him too,  hope not...

PH is a ruthless successful businessman in the financial world,   if we go down it will blow a holes in our finances of around 300k between prize money,   increased or decreased gates and pricing .. NO business or company in this day and age ,can sit and watch  this happen

Surely the club have a doomsday scenario to try and avert this....

We look totally in the shit at the moment and no confidence we'll get out of it any time soon, despite not being detached at the bottom - yet. 

Fans are losing patience already - boos ringing out from the main stand at half time on Saturday. It's a shame and too bad after last season. Hopefully things will change, but if not PH and the board might be faced with a "stick or twist' decision come Christmas (?) - although I have a feeling they will stick by him even if we do go down. 

Difficult times for everyone at the club.

8 hours ago, Diamonds Are Red said:

- although I have a feeling they will stick by him even if we do go down. 

Difficult times for everyone at the club.

Or option 2.

We go down and Rhys walks, leaving us back where we were, at square 1.

As you say, difficult times ahead.

Graham, MacDonald, McGregor all expected to be back on Saturday. Leaves you with this squad:

Johnson / Wright
MacDonald / Graham / Badley-Morgan / Watson / ATS
Gallagher / Aiken / Frizzell / Mochrie / Armstrong / McGrattan
Wilson / McGregor / Cooper

Edited by Mr November