Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

Whoever called the 30 days of player profiles and then contract news once they are done might be on to something. Janny profiles yesterday and resigning announcement this morning.

Happy for him to stay, a decent squad option, albeit hopefully not first choice.

Watson can be a bit too erratic for me, and he's not somebody I would want starting games regularly in the Championship, but I'm happy enough with that. Versatile and competent enough to be a good squad option. Also gives us a bit of height and physical presence which we (currently) lack otherwise. 

36 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Whoever called the 30 days of player profiles and then contract news once they are done might be on to something. Janny profiles yesterday and resigning announcement this morning.

Happy for him to stay, a decent squad option, albeit hopefully not first choice.

Yep, agree with all of this - Janny seems like a really good guy and will help the younger guys in the squad. We’re going to need decent quality cover for most (if not all) positions, so this helps cover Cammy at RB who you’d hope will be first choice there, as well as extra cover for CB.

Hoping the Lee Hodson stuff isn’t true though - as someone else has said, whilst he’d likely be a good addition, we need some naturally left-sided players in defence now.

Gabby and Frizz next please! 🤞🏻

53 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Number 23 is coming up today on the 30 days of player profiles. There's a certain striker from Yorkshire that wears the number 23, hopefully up next 🤞 

I'd be happy to sign Hodson. If I'm not mistaken he can, or at least has, played across the entire backline, and he has a lot of experience. Ballantyne and Hodson as our full-backs, whichever side you played them on, would be an upgrade on our full-backs last season. 

That being said, I'm not convinced the Falkirk page that Tweeted this rumour has any sort of reliability whatsoever so not sure I would lend this any credence! 

Edited by airdrieman

20 hours ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

I "think" it might be a league game tbh but im sure @Skyline Drifter could confirm.

I'm only going on the assumption that his card were in that competition. I'm only guessing though tbf.

1st league game. Its a competition specific ban.

17 hours ago, Passionate said:

There are so many permutations people like for the strip,   we cried out for the black shorts\ socks combo this season and wore it once against qos,    I believe one of the reasons is the referee s kit cannot clash,  at our level they are either all black or yellow green shirt with black shorts \ socks,  therefore we clash most of the time with our official registered kit.... So we play with red shorts\ socks instead.....

Another ruleis you cannot have an identical design for a change kit albeit in a different colour,  which rules out the traditional in some eyes of the black top\ red diamond....

Refs have 3 or 4 different kits and nobody cares about a shorts clash, esp with refs. Teams play against one another in same colour shorts regularly. They care mainly about socks and sleeves. 

There's no rule preventing duplicate design of kit on a change kit either. Rule just says it has to be distinct. Its perfectly allowable for instance to have a predominantly blue kit as 1st choice and a predominantly yellow one in the same design as 2nd kit. Would only cause an issue if another team's 1st choice was blue and yellow stripes (which as far as I know nobody has). 

There would be nothing to stop you having your classic white shirt with red v design as a 2nd kit too with for instance black shirt and red v. Your problem would be you couldnt wear either against a St Mirren or Dunfermline with b&w stripes so you need a 3rd kit. If you can find a 2nd kit combo of colours thats not going to clash with anyone else then you could have the same design. Your biggest issue is the white as lots of clubs have a 1st choice of another clour with white. A club like ourselves could just about get away with 1st choice blue 2nd choice yellow or red in same design. Nobody wears blue and yellow 1st choice and only ICT I think blue and red. White 1st choice makes it difficult though. Almost every reverse colour clashes with someone. Might get away with brown or tangerine or something like that but not many options.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

1st league game. Its a competition specific ban.

Refs have 3 or 4 different kits and nobody cares about a shorts clash, esp with refs. Teams play against one another in same colour shorts regularly. They care mainly about socks and sleeves. 

There's no rule preventing duplicate design of kit on a change kit either. Rule just says it has to be distinct. Its perfectly allowable for instance to have a predominantly blue kit as 1st choice and a predominantly yellow one in the same design as 2nd kit. Would only cause an issue if another team's 1st choice was blue and yellow stripes (which as far as I know nobody has). 

There would be nothing to stop you having your classic white shirt with red v design as a 2nd kit too with for instance black shirt and red v. Your problem would be you couldnt wear either against a St Mirren or Dunfermline with b&w stripes so you need a 3rd kit. If you can find a 2nd kit combo of colours thats not going to clash with anyone else then you could have the same design. Your biggest issue is the white as lots of clubs have a 1st choice of another clour with white. A club like ourselves could just about get away with 1st choice blue 2nd choice yellow or red in same design. Nobody wears blue and yellow 1st choice and only ICT I think blue and red. White 1st choice makes it difficult though. Almost every reverse colour clashes with someone. Might get away with brown or tangerine or something like that but not many options.

interesting all seems bit weird, that was definitely the reason given by the club regarding the shorts\ socks , as why would you launch a kit play once and then go back back to a different shorts\ combo for the rest of the season

Interesting wrinkle to today’s news. Watson would probably have been somebody I’d have wanted to improve on if we do stay up. But I suppose you look at the squad continuity Arbroath have had and can’t argue it hasn’t worked for them. One of our more experienced players now too and always comes across as a good pro and leader so fair enough from that perspective also. 

IMG_9487.png

20 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Interesting wrinkle to today’s news. Watson would probably have been somebody I’d have wanted to improve on if we do stay up. But I suppose you look at the squad continuity Arbroath have had and can’t argue it hasn’t worked for them. One of our more experienced players now too and always comes across as a good pro and leader so fair enough from that perspective also. 

IMG_9487.png

The main thing for me is that if we have offered Watson more than one year then I guess we might have done the same for Frizzell, Gallagher, McGill etc? Obviously we need to see how these players adapt to the step up but I think it’s a gamble worth taking.