Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

1 minute ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

He is definitely worse when McCabe is playing. It's like he goes into his shell more and just gives the ball to McCabe or Fordyce instead of looking to be pro-active with it. Not blaming McCabe for that by the way, that's up to McMaster to have the confidence to dominate a game, but I do think McCabe probably demands the ball more which makes McMaster more passive.

Can’t argue with that. They’ve never fully clicked when played together in midfield have they? I’ve been quite vocal about Raith away being our best performance for ages and that shape suiting the current squad but even that day McMaster was our least impactful midfielder. Funnily enough our other best performance was Thistle at home when we looked fairly decent with him and McCabe together but dominated the game after McCabe went off injured. 

1 minute ago, Mr November said:

Can’t argue with that. They’ve never fully clicked when played together in midfield have they? I’ve been quite vocal about Raith away being our best performance for ages and that shape suiting the current squad but even that day McMaster was our least impactful midfielder. Funnily enough our other best performance was Thistle at home when we looked fairly decent with him and McCabe together but dominated the game after McCabe went off injured. 

I think in a dominant team, like the second half of last season, he is a useful player as he keeps things ticking over, fills in gaps and provides a good base to build attacks from. The problem is this season we clearly aren't dominant so his keeping possession has no real end purpose and it just looks safe and negative. I'd have him in the same bracket as McGregor and McStravick, a decent young player who could contribute over a season, but he shouldn't have to be playing every week. Another year in League 1 would have been ideal for him.

13 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

We've lost 9 league games and 6 have been by 1 goal (plus Tannadice which was a 1 goal game until the 95th minute) which shows we are in games in terms of the scoreline but in reality I never really feel we are in the game because we don't look like scoring. I've never seen a side so incapable of sustaining attacks. I think we probably think we are sustaining pressure because we are keeping the ball, but we're just keeping it in our own half (with the other team quite happy for us to) and never actually building up any pressure or putting 3 or 4 attacks together in a row. You watch teams who go behind in games and usually they have at least a 5 or 10 minute spell where they hem teams in, get corner after corner or attack after attack, we never do that. Obviously the quality of players is part of that but I definitely think it's lack of game management too. To sustain those attacks there are times when it's all about territory and just keeping the ball in the opposing third, even if that means giving the opposition throw-ins near their own corner flag to keep them boxed in. It gets your own fans up and their fans a bit edgy. But we give them such an easy out by passing back to Fordyce and or Rae, putting our foot on the ball, slowing the game down and letting them push up the park. By the time we've passed it around again it's another 5 minutes before we venture up the park. That was a big 3 points for Ayr today and with 20 minutes to go we should have been making them nervous and pinning them in, however the longer the game went on the more likely it was that they scored rather than us.

The main issue for me is still just a total lack of quality in the attacking areas though. Frizz was better today I thought but he still has virtually no end product for all the times he gets the ball in good areas. McStravick has a nice touch but is always on the edges of a game and doesn't offer anywhere near enough in his all round play. Over a season if given service Gal will get goals but he misses a lot of chances so we need to create loads, but we create very little. McGregor, O'Connor and McStravick are all young guys who would be decent squad options in League 1. McGregor was signed for League 1 (and didn't get a game), O'Connor was signed for League 1, and McCabe said when we signed McStravick that he'd tried to get him last season, so he was also signed with League 1 in mind. But we're relying on them being our main creative force alongside Frizzell in the Championship. Todorov seems an increasingly weird signing given McCabe clearly doesn't want to use him, and Gabby's form has fallen off a cliff. If we could get a couple of quality attackers in I think the rest of the team is of a standard that we'd probably stay up, but how we get these players and where they come from is anyone's guess.

Agree with most of this,  just listened to the Post match interviews Gallagher spoke well and you can relate to what he was saying and feeling, McCabe comes on and was his usual wishy washy pish ... 

The whole signing structure and reserve team should be questioned....  There are a lot of moving parts , how much clout does Consilium have ,  Dunlop and Gavin Gall now signed up as well , as the numerous others,  it seems to be a prequisite when players sign for the club now, is Rhys feathering his own nest to the detriment of the team.....

31 minutes ago, Passionate said:

The whole signing structure and reserve team should be questioned....  There are a lot of moving parts , how much clout does Consilium have ,  Dunlop and Gavin Gall now signed up as well , as the numerous others,  it seems to be a prequisite when players sign for the club now, is Rhys feathering his own nest to the detriment of the team.....

Now whilst I'm Rhys's biggest fan this has previously crossed my mind, especially with McNamara's history at Dundee United. I get it a little in that every club at our level is looking to develop young players and sell them on but yip, it could be to the detriment of the team therefore I hope it's not true and his bonus is structured somewhat differently.

44 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

The problem is this season we clearly aren't dominant so his keeping possession has no real end purpose and it just looks safe and negative.

I called it cowardly earlier but your description is definitely more eloquent.😀

51 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Agree with most of this,  just listened to the Post match interviews Gallagher spoke well and you can relate to what he was saying and feeling, McCabe comes on and was his usual wishy washy pish ... 

Thought Gal was hurting,and that's one reason I will always follow airdrie,that's all you can ask is for players to give their all ,

Must admit I did think this malaise would’ve come before it has. All through the summer we did not sign enough (any?!) players of sufficient Championship quality… yet most of the “happy clappers” were declaring that we could crash the promotion play-off places.

Have to wonder why, if he was training with us as claimed, we missed out on Wotherspoon… or why we didn’t try to get a hold of Dan O’Reilly or Lewis Strapp? Surely it can’t just be down to money especially after the extra cash from the League Cup progression. 

See also there are claims that Gabby is off to Raith in January? Can anyone substantiate?

1 minute ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Must admit I did think this malaise would’ve come before it has. All through the summer we did not sign enough (any?!) players of sufficient Championship quality… yet most of the “happy clappers” were declaring that we could crash the promotion play-off places.

Have to wonder why, if he was training with us as claimed, we missed out on Wotherspoon… or why we didn’t try to get a hold of Dan O’Reilly or Lewis Strapp? Surely it can’t just be down to money especially after the extra cash from the League Cup progression. 

See also there are claims that Gabby is off to Raith in January? Can anyone substantiate?

Gabby's goals last season will always make him fondly thought of, but he's contributed nothing this season and is presumably on (by our standards) a big contract after last season, so would be a good move for the club if he was to go and allow us to try and get someone else in.

Absolutely no idea why Raith would sign him though, utterly bizarre if true.

10 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Just looked at the Ayr goal again and whilst I've no idea why Dowds had so much freedom, it looks like a blunder by Josh as well.

It seems daft to let our good work slide,for the sake of changing a style of play that is getting us no place except maybe back in to league1 ,come on manager let go of this high press high reward that is definitely not suited for players we have,

I see on the post match interviews that the manager confirmed that he has a transfer window wish list but I hope we don't piss about to the 30th January and get deals done quickly. A view will need to be taken on the length of time Ballantyne & Aiken will be out but it's over to the chairman to raise/make the necessary funding available.

McMaster is a decent player, he's shown that previously and his best performances have been alongside Aiken at the start of this season or previously with Devenny. For whatever reason he doesn't seem to perform quite as well when McCabe is also playing and that could be down to him deferring to McCabe when in possession or just his role being adjusted on McCabe's instruction. Either way this calling him a waste or a coward or whatever else has been banded around is absolute nonsense. There is always one player who some fans just don't take to and for some on here it's clearly McMaster. I'm more than happy to admit that for me it has been Telfer although equally happy to admit that his more recent performances have shut me up somewhat but I'm not going to start chucking praise about just yet.

I watched the Raith highlights this morning and that goal from Easton for me sums up a major part of what is going wrong for us. Since he left we've asked Frizz to take on that role and while he's not the same player he got away with it a bit more in league 1 however in the Championship more often than not he's trying to do too much and ends up losing possession. I'm not having a go at him as he's clearly working his socks off on the pitch but it's evidently not working in that role and it's time we tried something else. McStravick while we are persisting with him as one of our starting 11 could perhaps be deployed in that role although due to his age and lack of experience I'd much prefer to have seen him have a gradual introduction to the first team but that doesn't seem to be on the cards.

Gallagher is still the most natural finisher at the club and the difference this season, other than the step up, is the lack of Smith and McGill either side of him to create more for him to feed off. McGregor, O'Connor and McStravick haven't quite done that from those positions and while O'Connor doesn't seem likely to be the one to change that there is still time for the other 2 to do something.

Pleased to hear McCabe say that he does have a "wish list" as it were and can only hope that he's backed and that they can bring the necessary changes come January. Would still like one of them to be a centre half.

2 hours ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

McMaster is a decent player, he's shown that previously and his best performances have been alongside Aiken at the start of this season or previously with Devenny. For whatever reason he doesn't seem to perform quite as well when McCabe is also playing and that could be down to him deferring to McCabe when in possession or just his role being adjusted on McCabe's instruction. Either way this calling him a waste or a coward or whatever else has been banded around is absolute nonsense. There is always one player who some fans just don't take to and for some on here it's clearly McMaster. I'm more than happy to admit that for me it has been Telfer although equally happy to admit that his more recent performances have shut me up somewhat but I'm not going to start chucking praise about just yet.

I watched the Raith highlights this morning and that goal from Easton for me sums up a major part of what is going wrong for us. Since he left we've asked Frizz to take on that role and while he's not the same player he got away with it a bit more in league 1 however in the Championship more often than not he's trying to do too much and ends up losing possession. I'm not having a go at him as he's clearly working his socks off on the pitch but it's evidently not working in that role and it's time we tried something else. McStravick while we are persisting with him as one of our starting 11 could perhaps be deployed in that role although due to his age and lack of experience I'd much prefer to have seen him have a gradual introduction to the first team but that doesn't seem to be on the cards.

Gallagher is still the most natural finisher at the club and the difference this season, other than the step up, is the lack of Smith and McGill either side of him to create more for him to feed off. McGregor, O'Connor and McStravick haven't quite done that from those positions and while O'Connor doesn't seem likely to be the one to change that there is still time for the other 2 to do something.

Pleased to hear McCabe say that he does have a "wish list" as it were and can only hope that he's backed and that they can bring the necessary changes come January. Would still like one of them to be a centre half.

We've got to be looking to bring 3 experienced championship level players at a minimum, preferably one for each part of the pitch.

So just to be clear. The new consensus is now:

We did not sign genuine championship quality players, which is hurting us.

The squad being filled with young boys without the requisite quality is problematic.

This tie in with consilium seems to be a big negative.

I'll just leave this here...

Edited by cb_diamond

8 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

The squad being filled with young boys without the requisite quality is problematic.

Totally agree 👍 

Too many were blinded by promotion to notice how weak our team was

13 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

Agree far too much was looked into the early season League Cup tournament which appeared to paper over the cracks..  

All your points are totally relevant and true....

3 hours ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

What a lot of hypocritical pish,   it is ok for you to criticise Telfer and still be far from convinced, but it's not acceptable for anybody else to criticise McMaster. ...

Spare me he is only a young lad that needs supported drivel..

12 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Agree far too much was looked into the early season League Cup tournament which appeared to paper over the cracks..  

All your points are totally relevant and true....

I'll maintain that there are a number of players in the squad who can absolutely cut it, and 2/3 of the Hibs link up have been an improvement. But yeah, agree about our great start. 

Biggest mistake with hindsight was not ponying up for weatherspoon.