Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

On 03/01/2024 at 11:55, AndyDD said:

Spoke with Cammy for the Club 1924 Prize Draw, and he mentioned on camera that he's getting an operation on Monday. 

Just seen it, says he'll be out for  4-6 weeks.

6 hours ago, Passionate said:

Firstly the performance from Airdrie against ICT was excellent, and as big Duncy said a good technical side..

Recruitment and resigning,,  firstly recruitment if Megba goes to the Hibs camp, we always have a chance of getting him back late in the window, but we have big games coming up this month can we wait for Hibs to decide,  or do we act now,  probably yes we need to source additional players to supplement and improve our weak spots,  we won't push the boat out, i am confident of that,  i expect other teams below us to "go for it" signings wise..

Resignings...   I thought it was interesting that Raith gave Murray a contract extension,  Raith know that Murray will be on the radar for another raid on the Premier League,  they will get well compensated if and when that happens...  Rhys McCabe is not at Murray's level of experience that won't stop Raith taking him off us for example if they want him,  for minimal compo,  The club has to be more forward thinking with all signing deals,  one year offers just let teams like Raith take players off us, Easton and Smith the latest, Paul Bonar if you want to go back a few years..

Under JB he got stung giving Kenny Black a multi year contract,  and then decided to slash his budget dramatically and couldn't afford to pay him off..   IMO the club now have to be proactive and keep their prize assets for as long as possible and if they do go on to bigger clubs which is fine we get decent compensation for them..

I think ideally that's what most fans would want, but the issue is that the players you want to sign on multi-year deals often don't want to sign-up for 2 or 3 years. We were favourites to get relegated at the start of the season and it's still possible we could be, if you are a player in your early to mid twenties who thinks they should be Championship level, maybe even Premiership in the future, it's a big risk to tie yourself to a club that could be back in League 1 next year. A good potential example (and quite a funny one) is Paton at Queens Park who signed a 3 year deal in the summer, if they don't turn things around he'll be back in League 1 for another 2 years potentially at the point where he would have been thinking about moving upwards.

In terms of the manager it's maybe not as big an issue because it's such a precarious job that you'd be stupid to turn down a longer contract, although I'm sure there would be some kind of agreement about moving on if the right club came in.

The only 2 ways we could encourage guys to stay would be offering huge wages, which even then might not work for someone very career driven, and obviously we can't afford that. The other is to be succesful this year so players don't have any fears about signing a 2 year contract. I think it was Kenny_m who mentioned that short term signings are important to ensure success and therefore convince guys to stay for the longer term, which I think is spot on. If we could really push on in the next few weeks we'd be an exciting club to sign up for next season, if we're battling out down the bottom players who have options will be off.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

7 hours ago, Passionate said:

Paul Bonar if you want to go back a few years

Getting 100K for Paul Bonar who only played a handful of games for us was robbery. He looked a great prospect at the time especially with his goal at Pittodrie but his career sadly nose dived thereafter.

2 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Getting 100K for Paul Bonar who only played a handful of games for us was robbery. He looked a great prospect at the time especially with his goal at Pittodrie but his career sadly nose dived thereafter.

2 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

I threw that name in,  I am sure Raith signed Paul Harvey and Davie Kirkwood off us as well,  good players,  agree about Bonar he came through the ranks, but after his move he faded badly ended up playing for the Rovers and Rob Roy in the juniors..

1 hour ago, ++Ammo - Airdrie++ said:

Did someone say Paul Harvey and Raith in the same sentence 😍😍😍

What a day.

What a day indeed, can still hear the commentator on the highlights when the Raith guy got sent off "to complete their day of misery"!

11 hours ago, moses1924 said:

What a day indeed, can still hear the commentator on the highlights when the Raith guy got sent off "to complete their day of misery"!

I always felt the final kick in the teeth for them that day was getting fined for selling wee plastic bottles of juice at the stadium snack bar instead of cartons. 

Happy times.

16 hours ago, Passionate said:

I threw that name in,  I am sure Raith signed Paul Harvey and Davie Kirkwood off us as well,  good players,  agree about Bonar he came through the ranks, but after his move he faded badly ended up playing for the Rovers and Rob Roy in the juniors..

Davie Kirkwood, a vastly under rated player who is rarely mentioned by Airdrie fans. What a sweet striker of a ball.

35 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Davie Kirkwood, a vastly under rated player who is rarely mentioned by Airdrie fans. What a sweet striker of a ball.

Had a couple of seasons at Raith to and was class. Seemed to rarely move far from the centre circle but could spare passes to perfection. Met him once in Aviemore on a weekend break and a nice guy to.

4 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Not for one minute was Kirkwood  underestimated  by Airdrie fans certainly not by me anyway ,

9 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

It’s the penalties I always remember. First saw him hit one in the penalty shoot out cup win over Celtic at Broomfield in 91 and they were his from then on. Hammered into the bottom corner every time. 

Megwa might well be off to Dubai, I hope not of course. But even if he is I certainly wouldn't be taking what some 'halfwit pretends to be ITK type' on Twitter says to be gospel. Rhys McCabe told you personally did he aye? Load of bollocks. Even if he is, they're away on the 9th and back on the 16th so if he were to go and then return to us he'd potentially only miss 1 league game. Obviously, if they keep him, with Ballantyne out for another 4-6 weeks that's potentially a bigger issue but I think Watson would be 'fine' as a stand-in until Ballantyne gets back. 

10 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Megwa might well be off to Dubai, I hope not of course. But even if he is I certainly wouldn't be taking what some 'halfwit pretends to be ITK type' on Twitter says to be gospel. Rhys McCabe told you personally did he aye? Load of bollocks. Even if he is, they're away on the 9th and back on the 16th so if he were to go and then return to us he'd potentially only miss 1 league game. Obviously, if they keep him, with Ballantyne out for another 4-6 weeks that's potentially a bigger issue but I think Watson would be 'fine' as a stand-in until Ballantyne gets back. 

Let's not let the Megwa situation blinker us,  even with Megwa in the side we still need a minimum of 2 January signings. In order for us to stay in this league,  as last night showed anybody can beat anybody in this league and will be tight right to the last game IMO..

51 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Let's not let the Megwa situation blinker us,  even with Megwa in the side we still need a minimum of 2 January signings. In order for us to stay in this league,  as last night showed anybody can beat anybody in this league and will be tight right to the last game IMO..

Absolutely this, I think the last 2 wins (as good and as welcome as they are) have got the juices flowing again and some folks eyes have come off the road. We can compete in this league as it is but it’s no use just competing because it’s that tight it may well come down to the bounce of the ball. In our next 3 league games we should be targeting minimum 5 point's, along with a couple of really solid signings that’ll stand us in good stead to maintain our championship status for next season. 

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

I agree, although listening to McCabe's interview I doubt that will happen. Basically says we are mainly trying for younger players which have been scouted and have sell-on value, and that the more established players are too expensive. So we'll maybe get a couple of loans or another McStravick type signing. Doesn't come as any surprise to be honest as that has been our policy until now under McCabe. I've no issue with that long term strategy but we really need a couple of ready made first team players.