Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

22 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Serious question…. When was the last time we reached the Fifth Round of the Scottish Cup? In recent memory I can remember drawing Celtic & Hearts in the fourth round but never surpassing that?

2008/09 apparently. We beat Cove and Spartans at home before losing to Dunfermline in the last 16, a game I can’t remember at all. This is only the third time we’ve done it since 2002.

13 hours ago, A Diamond For Me said:

Fully deserved that, and all credit to the team for a really solid performance which made Saints look very ordinary.  I know they've struggled for the last couple of seasons, but that's an established Premier team who've been in the top league fifteen years, who've won cups and been in Europe in very recent years. 

Not that its fully relevant, but we're a long, long, way from the club that achieved those things.

Yesterday you saw a side who have a manager with a clear idea of what he wants, an ability to coach it, and a talented squad with full confidence in both the manager and his ideas, against a manager who thinks "playing the odds" (settling for 0-0 and hoping someone magicks a goal up) is a sound strategy, with a squad full of players played to their weaknesses.

We look a different team when Carey is played further forward, but he started as our deepest midfielder yesterday. 

Says a lot about your club and form that they had Levein overthinking it so much.

Hopefully you get a good cup run that helps you financially reach the "next step" and you can keep improving. You've something special on the go here.

The coaching team deserve a lot of credit for making us such a tight unit defensively. We just stop the other team from playing. There is always someone closing down the man with the ball and the sheer determination to play their part is evidence of the team spirit and how they are playing for each other. The way we play out of the corner at throw ins and Telfer's run down the wing yesterday show real football instinct but that has been coached into making a team that plays for each other. Frizz was on his game yesterday and McStravick was at his tricky best but as others have said Telfer is the catalyst that pulls the whole thing together.

The number of positive comments from supporters of teams we have beaten on merit is great but our better players will be on the radar of other managers and our manager will be on short lists for other jobs.

We ARE building something special here and need to hold on to all the cogs that make us tick.

43 minutes ago, Mr November said:

2008/09 apparently. We beat Cove and Spartans at home before losing to Dunfermline in the last 16, a game I can’t remember at all. This is only the third time we’ve done it since 2002.

Can't remember the Dunfermline game either. But I remember the Spartans game, the pitch was completely waterlogged for the whole second half, not sure how the match wasn't abandoned, it was farcical.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

34 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Can't remember the Dunfermline game either. But I remember the Spartans game, the pitch was completely waterlogged for the whole second half, not sure how the match wasn't abandoned, it was farcical.

I seem to remember it was a midweek game after a typical postponement back then,  we lost 2 - 1 to a looping Graham Bayne header late on,   There was a bit of bother after it in the car park across the road, I seem to remember  some Airdrie scarves being burnt by the busload of Dunfermline fans,   didn't go down too well ....

1 hour ago, Mr November said:

Hoping for a decent draw which will allow us to progress further. It's all money in the bank for the club.

Was running late to the game yesterday and decided to pay at the gate, joined the queue and somebody in front shouted,  this is the pie queue pal, halfway to the main gate,  might seem joking now, but I had to have a double take...   Which brings me on nicely to the catering,  why oh why do we only have one stall open for near on 1700 fans,   Back in League 1 when sides brought 50 odd they quite rightly had the pie stall open for them,  why not for our own fans, a one point at half time yesterday one of the queues was doing the eightsom reel..     reading the saints thread they were far from impressed with the catering and service also.

Maybe something for the SLO to bring up..

5 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Probably on higher wages than we’d be willing to pay, but Cammy Kerr is a right back so could be a Megwa replacement and I think we’d all be happy to see a another striker join. I do think they’re probably both out of our reach though.

They both scream Dunfermline given how much McPake loves signing Dundee players. 

I’m not expecting too much more business but another defender (either a right back or centre back) and a forward (ideally someone who can play out wide) would do me.

6 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Probably on higher wages than we’d be willing to pay, but Cammy Kerr is a right back so could be a Megwa replacement and I think we’d all be happy to see an another striker join. I do think they’re probably both out of our reach though.

Cammy Kerr maybe… but Rudden is another Todorov, and he is sound just fine at the moment. Can guess one or both will end up at Dunfermline.

The turnover this season must be huge compared with last season. Our average attendances (including away fans) is 50% higher than last season and you'd hope that will increase more as the season reaches it's climax and teams have things to play for. We were also knocked out in every cup at the first stage last season. Got to last 16 of League Cup this year, at worst semi-final of Challenge Cup and at worst 5th round of Scottish Cup. Not just the prize money but also more games with decent crowds like yesterday. You can add whatever we got for Devenny into that mix too.

The 2 home play-off games must have been a great boost to the club last year as it was a combined 7,000 fans over the 2 games which is all money to the club, that probably made up for all the cup exits. Of course we could still have play-offs this year too. But even if you ignore the cup performances and just look at our gates being 50% higher (with more expensive tickets too) you wonder whether our wage bill has increased by a similar amount. Seems unlikely as we've kept basically the same squad if you switch Smith's wage for Todorov. They will all have got salary and bonus increases obviously but I don't imagine by that extent, certainly not most of them.

The conclusion is stating the obvious but it's so important we stay up this year as from the outside things must be looking much better financially and that may allow us to build more next season. It's good that the extra income isn't from some fluke cup draw at Celtic Park either (although that would be welcome) it's all been driven by performances on the park.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

It was the game talked about a few pages back with regards to Cardle signing a pre contract. He won a penalty near the start, we had to sub our right back after half an hour because he was getting absolutely rinsed. After the game McIntyre told the Airdrie manager "Glad we won't have to play against him next season!" and that was how the Airdrie gaffer found out we'd signed McDougall and Cardle on pre contracts. 

Was a good goal by Bayne to win, the draw for the next round had already been made and it was Aberdeen at home. 

51 minutes ago, Passionate said:

I seem to remember it was a midweek game after a typical postponement back then,  we lost 2 - 1 to a looping Graham Bayne header late on,   There was a bit of bother after it in the car park across the road, I seem to remember  some Airdrie scarves being burnt by the busload of Dunfermline fans,   didn't go down too well ....

😂 Right, so Dunfermline fans have spent hundreds of pounds on Airdrie scarves, to then burn them after the game? Christ. 

I remember the bother, I can't say I remember the scarves burning. 

45 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Probably on higher wages than we’d be willing to pay, but Cammy Kerr is a right back so could be a Megwa replacement and I think we’d all be happy to see a another striker join. I do think they’re probably both out of our reach though.

They don't seem to fit in with our transfer policy although believe or not Zak Rudden is only 23. I always feel that he looks dangerous albeit a bit clumsy at times but worth an enquiry to me.

Cammy Kerr is decent defensively but doesn't look as if he would fit in with our playing out from the back style.

22 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

It was the game talked about a few pages back with regards to Cardle signing a pre contract. He won a penalty near the start, we had to sub our right back after half an hour because he was getting absolutely rinsed. After the game McIntyre told the Airdrie manager "Glad we won't have to play against him next season!" and that was how the Airdrie gaffer found out we'd signed McDougall and Cardle on pre contracts. 

Was a good goal by Bayne to win, the draw for the next round had already been made and it was Aberdeen at home. 

😂 Right, so Dunfermline fans have spent hundreds of pounds on Airdrie scarves, to then burn them after the game? Christ. 

I remember the bother, I can't say I remember the scarves burning. 

Remember back in those days we struggled to get scarves ourselves in the then under stocked club shop,  they must have been acquired by fair means or foul, it was hardly a funeral pyre FFS,  did happen though,  irrelevant now right enough, just things you remember.