Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

Thought he was pretty tidy when he came into the team, wouldn't have bothered much if he signed or not but McCabe seemed to rate him higher than Stanway (who doesn't look like he'll be back now) Nice to have a good few options from the bench so far compared to last season.

15 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Meh. McMaster did well towards the end of last season but not sure he’s ready for the step up just yet. I hope we’re still able to bring in a stronger holding midfielder, as I’d rather not rely on McCabe and McMaster there all season. I do think he has potential, so hopefully he can develop further this season. 

I'm not a fan but if we continue our 4-3-3 formation then at the moment we have McCabe, McMaster, Devenny & Aiken vying for the 3 positions. Don't now see us resigning Telfer and Frizzell as that would be an extremely lightweight midfield although Aiken is a relative unknown.

A Scott Martin type is required.

Quite interesting seeing the difference in opinion on here and social media. I think we’re mostly in agreement that he’s a decent squad player with potential but not quite ready to play regularly in the Championship yet, whereas elsewhere people seem to view this as a brilliant signing. Might just be that we’re less hyperbolic either way. 

9 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Quite interesting seeing the difference in opinion on here and social media. I think we’re mostly in agreement that he’s a decent squad player with potential but not quite ready to play regularly in the Championship yet, whereas elsewhere people seem to view this as a brilliant signing. Might just be that we’re less hyperbolic either way. 

Usual wee guys from twitter, be the same guys that thought losing Smith was an absolute disaster. Much better opinion from guys in here rather than social media.

McMaster - I'm among the pleased. Very tidy and efficient in the holding role.

Also pleased with Jannie and Todorov.

Jannie is a great crosser of the ball. Cammie can play left back so adding McDonald could be a good signing; giving us 3 who can play full back.

Others can put me right on this but it appeared to me that in the play-offs we favoured a 4-1-4-1 and that does not play to Gal's strengths which are in the box and, the new role last season, dropping a bit deeper to link play and create space. Gal is not an ideal target man (although his effort are never in doubt). Maybe Todorov will give us more attacking options in the main striker role.

I think it's a solid signing and a good bit of business by the club. Yes it's a level up but he's only 20 played a decent amount of games for us last season and is a tidy player. Needs to bulk up a bit but that's entirely possible. Justin D was seen as a 'meh' signing last season after being at us on loan the season before. But he really stepped up last season and was excellent. No reason why McMaster cannot do the same under Rhys's guidance and leadership. 

Definitely more sensible comments on here than FB but I'd also trust Rhys's opinion over anyone on here too. So if he thinks he's worth retaining, that's good enough for me. 

Not every signing is going to be a marquee signing. Doesn't make it a bad one either. 

Edited by Glenmavis Diamond

Feels like a wee bit of a disappointing signing. He did do well in most games last year but i feel like whenever we were playing bigger stronger teams he got bullied off the ball and looked a bit lost. However, he is only young and still developing. Plus I doubt he'll start. 

I'm sure McCabe said in one of his interviews Dean McMaster reminds him of a 'young me' so I'm not surprised to see him sign up. He's always talked about signing young players and developing them too so if he's a squad player I'd probably rather him than some other league 1/2 jobber to pad out the squad. 

I can see the both sides to signing him, I'm not the most excited about it but at the same time he's still young and can improve. I'd probably put him in the same category as 'McGregor'. 

Still hoping we can get a more physical and experienced holding midfielder signed up but great to get some business done early.

Some signings are hard to judge until you've seen the whole squad. If McMaster is going to start every week then that's a concern, but if he's around the squad and getting the odd game when needed I'm pretty happy with that. I'm almost certain it's the latter category, not least because McCabe will play ahead of him.

We can't afford a squad of 20+ geniune first team starters, so a few cheaper options to fill out the squad who are a known quantity is no bad thing.

Don't really think we are in the position to be signing players to loan out but we most definitely aren't in the position to be taking chances on developing midfielders that evidently struggled at times in the league below. Hopefully the young lad progresses well but I agree with the 'meh' comments.

Happy to have McMaster back as a squad option. Clearly he needs to develop physically and he should not be starting games every week at holding midfield in the Championship. If he is, that would be a real worry. But as a squad player, he’s a known and trusted quantity, suits our style of play and has plenty of development time in him. We’ve saw how players like Devenny and Scott McGill have grown in the last couple of seasons and McMaster too was no different last season. Going from a bit of a drip and a nothing midfielder to, while controlling things might be too strong a term, having a large influence in our best run of the season after becoming a regular in the midfield. 

Plus, we are going to have to have a much bigger squad generally. Last season there was the starting XI and then 2 of McCabe/McMaster/Devenny/Telfer to call on at any one time, plus Deveney or ATS as sub defender and McGregor the only trusted forward option. A squad of 15 essentially which isn’t going to cut it in the Championship. Have no problem with McMaster filling one of those squad roles. 

Edited by airdrieman