Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

16 hours ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Funnily enough I'm also the one complaining about the decision to close an entire section of the stand to accommodate hospitality and shunt people who have been supporting the club, financially and vocally, away from that entire area. I'll make clear I'm not far away from that part of the stadium anyway but for me the matchday experience is about more than watching football, partly due the football being so shite for so long, and is more a social thing. Seeing the people who are in that general area who you've got to know over the years and have plenty of chat with and who will now be scattered around the stand. Again not a huge thing but the whole way that this was done in conjunction with the closure of car parks to supporters leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. Probably because I've seen enough instances over the years of regular support being taken for granted. Again I'm fortunate in that I'm fit, mobile and can drive through from Stirling in plenty of time, find a place to abandon the car and walk to the ground. Not everyone is that fortunate and not everyone of those people will have the blue badges that the club will accommodate. Rounding off the statement with advice to give consideration to using public transport, on a Sunday, was just the icing on that particular cake. 

A venerable stance on B-teams but I think the whole faux outrage over using the middle section for hospitality is a bit daft - but maybe that’s because we managed to get our usual seats. I also assume that it was a police decision to close the car parks after the broadcaster claimed their part for trucks and production vehicles and the polis decided what part of the car park they wanted for their wagons, by the time you include players, officials and disabled spaces there wouldn’t be much space left for anyone else.

As I said previously it’s been a long time since there’s been a match of this magnitude at the Shyberry, possibly since Rangers were in League One with us? But if we continue on an upward trend there’s going to be some bed wetting when this happens six or eight times a season.

ETA: need to remember the amount of income that the club are making from this cup run could be enough to sustain us in the Championship a bit longer or push us on that bit more to bigger things. Worth the pain of 90 minutes in a different seat, I’d think.

Edited by Rhys McCabe Hype Train

Bit of a reality check there. A shame to go out obviously but I thought we played quite well overall, even in the opening 20 minutes, just up against a much better team. You can see why Hearts are by far the third best team (second on form) in the country at the moment, they moved the ball so well and so quickly. We’ve got a lot of technically good young players and I think that was a great lesson for them in what they need to make it at a higher level. 

I thought we struggled out wide, Hearts full backs were always in loads of space, but that’s a natural drawback with playing a diamond. No real complaints from me, just outclassed by a better team and plenty to learn from. The main thing now is we keep our focus for some very important league games over the next few weeks.

33 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Bit of a reality check there. A shame to go out obviously but I thought we played quite well overall, even in the opening 20 minutes, just up against a much better team. You can see why Hearts are by far the third best team (second on form) in the country at the moment, they moved the ball so well and so quickly. We’ve got a lot of technically good young players and I think that was a great lesson for them in what they need to make it at a higher level. 

I thought we struggled out wide, Hearts full backs were always in loads of space, but that’s a natural drawback with playing a diamond. No real complaints from me, just outclassed by a better team and plenty to learn from. The main thing now is we keep our focus for some very important league games over the next few weeks.

Fair comment,we gave it our best shot,all the very best to Hearts next round ,

I thought we played quite well in parts but have the old problem of being really short of quality up front. I'm not expecting a Shankland standard player but you have to have someone who will hold the ball up, win headers and get free-kicks, Todorov did none of that today, I thought he was really poor even considering the standard of opposition. McGregor can run channels and tried hard, as did Todorov, but neither can offer enough in a game like that to pose a real threat. I know Todorov is on a wee goal run just now but it is still my concern for the rest of the reason that we lack ruthlessness up front. I was sat watching the Morton game the other night thinking we'd be a real force if we had a player like Oakley leading the line for us. We're a nice side defence through to midfield but are a bit blunt up front.

On the positives I thought Watson and Hancock were excellent - with the exception of the 2nd goal where Hancock was doing the hokey cokey with the defensive line, he either had to play offside or drop deep but ended up doing neither. More than made up for that though with his cross for the goal and all round performance though. Watson was our best player 2nd half and it'll be interesting see where Ballantyne fits in as neither deserve to be dropped.

I obviously wanted to win but part of me is glad it's out the way and we can start focusing on the league again. Ayr is a huge game on Saturday, a win there and I'd have huge confidence we can start looking up the table, a defeat and things are looking a bit hairy again with the 2 toughest fixtures in the league to come.

We weren’t bad but they were clinical and we weren’t. They were quicker and had more quality up top which us expected, but we still caused some problems and on another day and with a bit of luck the scoreline could’ve been much closer, but no complaints really.

Thought Hancock had an excellent first half and deserved his motm award. McMaster also done well and I really like the look of Lyall, tidy and confident player on the ball that’s not afraid to put a tackle in. I’d expect him to start a lot of games as we see the rest of the season out.

I thought we competed well yesterday. A shame to go 3-0 down so early on, us hitting the bar and them going straight up the park to score their second killed the game, and was a good microcosm of the difference between the teams. We didn’t take the bulk of our chances while they were ruthless. But I thought we held our own at times, against what’s by a mile the 3rd best team in the country, whilst playing our own style. We’ve got to be happy that we can do that against such a good team. Frizz took his goal well and Hancock, other than getting caught in two minds for the 2nd, was excellent. And I thought Lyall showed up well too. We clearly lack quality upfront but McGregor put in a power of hard work and a bit more quality or firepower beside him might have helped make it even more of a contest. 

Hearts are just a few levels above us unfortunately. Shankland and Gordon especially (get them on the plane to the Euros) but Grant, Niewuenhoff and Vargas also really impressed. Assuming we don’t draw the Old Firm next season we won’t play a team as good as that for a while. 

Brilliant to see the stadium so full and it have that big cup game/occasion atmosphere for the first time in a while. Hopefully the club made a decent chunk from the tie and hopefully we’ll get a few more nights like that over the next couple of seasons. 

Well at least we didn't disgrace ourselves, quickly 3 down and I thought we were in big trouble. Had a few chances and Mason to his credit was causing them  problems down the wing the first half. Looked more composed in the 2nd half and despite aiming to limit the damage we were still going forward. 

Ultimately outclassed by one of the top sides in the country but we tried and didn't "park the bus". 

1 hour ago, airdrieman said:

I thought we competed well yesterday. A shame to go 3-0 down so early on, us hitting the bar and them going straight up the park to score their second killed the game, and was a good microcosm of the difference between the teams. We didn’t take the bulk of our chances while they were ruthless. But I thought we held our own at times, against what’s by a mile the 3rd best team in the country, whilst playing our own style. We’ve got to be happy that we can do that against such a good team. Frizz took his goal well and Hancock, other than getting caught in two minds for the 2nd, was excellent. And I thought Lyall showed up well too. We clearly lack quality upfront but McGregor put in a power of hard work and a bit more quality or firepower beside him might have helped make it even more of a contest. 

Hearts are just a few levels above us unfortunately. Shankland and Gordon especially (get them on the plane to the Euros) but Grant, Niewuenhoff and Vargas also really impressed. Assuming we don’t draw the Old Firm next season we won’t play a team as good as that for a while. 

Brilliant to see the stadium so full and it have that big cup game/occasion atmosphere for the first time in a while. Hopefully the club made a decent chunk from the tie and hopefully we’ll get a few more nights like that over the next couple of seasons. 

The quality up front has been a real issue for us this season. Yes we aren't conceding many, but we aren't scoring many - a combination of our players performances, lack of service and up against better defences compared to last season:- 

McGill was struggling before and out with injury, Gallagher again not scoring as before and again out injured, Todorov disappointing before Christmas and not really getting a run of games but to be fair has done well since the turn of the year, McGregor's got pace but could do with a bit more of a consistent support alongside him up front. 

Mason has excelled since the turn of the year, week in week out he is causing defences problems down the wings but we need more of a presence in the box when his ball comes over. 

Great to see the stadium well filled yesterday, plenty of returning and new faces, hopefully the result won't put them off from coming back and they will see the performance was there. 

I really like the way we close down players when we don't have the ball and in the Championship we disrupt and stop the other team playing because they rush things. Yesterday Hearts were not rushed by us and their quality players just passed the ball around our onrushing team and carved their way through us. We just have to accept the gulf in quality on an individual player basis. But as a team I think we can take a lot from some of our passages of quick short passing to move the ball forward and out of defence. The confidence we are now showing and belief the players have in each other has removed the hesitancy and mistakes we were making previously and it is good to watch.

There is no doubt Todarov has given us goals when the chances have come to him but his touch and link up play outside the box does not suit our flowing style.  Gal is way more suited to keeping things flowing but his goals have dried up. Who'd be a manager? 

McGregor has been very effective in his new role and will only get better as his confidence grows and he starts to score goals again and Lyall slotted in seamlessly and I liked the way he was moving the ball forward.

As already said this Ayr game will be massive and I'd like to see the Dunfermline game sorted while they are struggling as that would be a nice 3 points to count on.

18 minutes ago, Diamonds Are Red said:

Well at least we didn't disgrace ourselves, quickly 3 down and I thought we were in big trouble. Had a few chances and Mason to his credit was causing them  problems down the wing the first half. Looked more composed in the 2nd half and despite aiming to limit the damage we were still going forward. 

Ultimately outclassed by one of the top sides in the country but we tried and didn't "park the bus". 

Whilst it's admirable to have a go and given our recent defensive record it was easy for Rhys to continue with the same shape but retrospectively, it didn't work as we were wide open when Hearts came forward and losing 3 goals in 10 mins is pretty poor at any level. File under lessons learned.

Mason did have a good game and looks ready move up a level (don't know his contract situation but doubt he'll be here next season)but  he was badly at fault with the 2nd goal no matter how good a pass it was.

Having said that there was still some good signs but definitely struggling up front, McGregor's pace was worrying the Hearts defence but we do need a plater with a bit more guile up there to compliment what we have.

16 minutes ago, Diamonds on the Windshield said:

As already said this Ayr game will be massive and I'd like to see the Dunfermline game sorted while they are struggling as that would be a nice 3 points to count on.

Yip with regards the Ayr game but whilst Dunfermline are on a bad run, our record is poor against them even though at times we've played well.

8 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Yip with regards the Ayr game but whilst Dunfermline are on a bad run, our record is poor against them even though at times we've played well.

Our record is poor against Ayr and Dunfermline,  just like Raith cannot beat us,  those 2 sides are the same with us,  

Games will be coming thick and fast soon enough,  a few midweek games with DU, Dunfermline, Arbroath and Raith all away from home to come,  we have plenty of work to do, our away record is the the worst in the league...

4 hours ago, FLDiamond said:

Maybe I’m missing it but has last nights attendance been announced? The Hearts supporters had a good showing, great to see the stadium so full 

I usually stumble across it on the BBC match report under line-ups after a few days. 

Edited by She who dares gins