Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

Permaloser @Rennieball on here just red dotting everything including his own fans. 

Looking forward to watching him shrieking and dotting all over every match thread again next year. One of the worst posters in the history of the site.

Congrats to Airdrie. Decent match to watch. McCabe must be on the shortlist for a few sides when they need a new manager. 

definite penalty too.

Could have done without the union jacks in the crowd.

Currently sitting 4th in the league, last 16 of the Scottish Cup, only team to win all their group stage games in the League Cup and now Challenge Cup winners. Still a long way to go in the league but what a season it’s been so far!

I’ll no doubt post more about the game itself tomorrow but today feels different to the play-off final win. That was a release of 10 years of frustration at being stuck in League One purgatory, a rare moment of pure joy after years of the club going nowhere. Today, and this season as a whole really, feels like a club really heading in the right direction under McCabe and Fordyce. I’ve said it before but I don’t think there’s been a more fun club to support in the country over the last few years.

1 minute ago, A Diamond For Me said:

I've said it before, but I don't think I've ever seen an Airdrie team so comfortable defending a one goal lead.  The control this side can exert on a game is incredible, absolutely rock solid. 

Spot on. I wasn’t nervous when we went 2-1 up as I just knew we’d see it out. TNS had loads of the ball of course but even then, we held our shape incredibly well and limited them to a few crosses which Fordyce will take all day. Being able to do that in any game, but particularly big games, is a great habit.

Congrats Airdrie.

Good game to watch. More evidence of why you’re having such a good season, can play nice football and also to long to the utter nuisance and thorn in our side - Todorov. Really don’t understand why the Pars let him go, especially as he was only 26 at the time. 

What a season this has been so far!! Throughly enjoyable day out in Falkirk again (don't think I've ever been to a game and seen Airdrie lose at that stadium before). 

I was impressed by TNS, they looked a really good team, passed it on the deck and had a few really good players. I don't think we were at our best, especially in the second half, but we dug out the win and felt we deserved it in the end.

Was good chatting to @airdriemanbriefly in 'The Wheatsheaf', cracking wee pub and the owner chatted away to us the whole time too. 

Hope everyone had a great day out and enjoyed the celebrations!!! 🏆♦️

Really enjoyed that, thought we played well especially with players out and injuries during the game. McStravicks goal was really well taken and the defending in the last 20 minutes excelent. Young keeper did his job. As others have said this is the best couple of years we've had in the last 20+, would love to get McCabe signed up for another year but the better he does the quicker he'll be away so enjoying it while we can. Hope the injuries to McCabe and cStravick aren't anything serious. ANother great day out all in all. 

Let’s be honest, Airdrie playing a team in navy blue at the Falkirk stadium - there was only going to be one winner. 
My only negative from today is the thought that we’re really not going to have McCabe much longer. Let’s enjoy him while we can. Who knows promotion might means he stays for a bit longer!

8 minutes ago, Airdrie76 said:

we’re really not going to have McCabe much longer

If he signed a new deal and left at Christmas I'd take that, it would mean we would get some compensation for him leaving and hopefully he would leave a team wel set up to compete for the rest of next season.

3 hours ago, Airdrie76 said:

Let’s be honest, Airdrie playing a team in navy blue at the Falkirk stadium - there was only going to be one winner. 
My only negative from today is the thought that we’re really not going to have McCabe much longer. Let’s enjoy him while we can. Who knows promotion might means he stays for a bit longer!

If you could take one big negative from the cup win its the obvious attention it’s drawing to Rhys.  How many boards are already getting ready to chop their manager in May and have Rhys on the shortlist? One more step to go for him and that’s getting the team to the playoffs.  Even if we don’t progress much, that’s a big achievement with one of the smallest budgets in the Championship.  The cup runs are nice but the final league position/playoff results will determine a lot.  Like someone said, unless we manage to get that step up to the Premiership it’s likely Rhys and Dycey will go.  I’d be really pleased for them if they got a great move and then it’s down to our Board to get the right men in.  I know it’s not a done deal, but they are earning a big reputation right now and a few clubs are taking notice

So happy we won the cup, proud of the whole team!  Let’s finish the season strong and at least get a shot at earning a place in the top flight ♦️ 

The one benefit you might have in keeping McCabe is if he fancies another year playing. Because no one in the top flight is going to let him be player manager.

Good to see a very decent young coach come through will be interesting to see how him and Fordyce do in the long term.

10 hours ago, moses1924 said:

Really enjoyed that, thought we played well especially with players out and injuries during the game. McStravicks goal was really well taken and the defending in the last 20 minutes excelent. Young keeper did his job. As others have said this is the best couple of years we've had in the last 20+, would love to get McCabe signed up for another year but the better he does the quicker he'll be away so enjoying it while we can. Hope the injuries to McCabe and cStravick aren't anything serious. ANother great day out all in all. 

Good post,we will only get better,that was certainly a great win ,if I had to pick any one out McStravick had some first half and that goal ,got to be said all the team played their part,well done to all, ♦️♦️♦️

Congratulations on a hard fought and ultimately deserved win. A really entertaing game, I dont think the second half got close to the tempo and quality from both teams in the first half and as time passed you always thought a setpiece or penalty would end up deciding it, stonewaller given by the ref, not sure why the defender needed to do it given O'Connor was running away from goal.

Congratulations on keeping the trophy in Scotland too, the spin some detractors might have put on it if it had gone to Wales could have been a huge annoyance.

McCabe has that team massively overachieving for the sum of its parts and he must be a huge target to a top flight team for his next move.

And if you could all keep buying the team celebrations drinks between now and Friday night, that'd be great as well. Cheers.

14 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Congratulations on a hard fought and ultimately deserved win. A really entertaing game, I dont think the second half got close to the tempo and quality from both teams in the first half and as time passed you always thought a setpiece or penalty would end up deciding it, stonewaller given by the ref, not sure why the defender needed to do it given O'Connor was running away from goal.

Congratulations on keeping the trophy in Scotland too, the spin some detractors might have put on it if it had gone to Wales could have been a huge annoyance.

McCabe has that team massively overachieving for the sum of its parts and he must be a huge target to a top flight team for his next move.

And if you could all keep buying the team celebrations drinks between now and Friday night, that'd be great as well. Cheers.

First half as you say very entertaining, TNS seemed to catch us for pace early on,  no idea how Watson's challenge that led to a goal was not a free kick and a booking, our right side with Ballantyne literally just back from injury and young Gallagher who was playing out of position due to injuries etc,   You could tell TNS were a front foot team,  they had no centre halfs or organisation,  Todorov had them all roads first half with McStravick in behind,  first time we have really played that way,   Second half was %football and over the 90minutes I thought we shaded it,

McCabe looks the next big thing or the next Ian Murray who was fast tracked after success at Dumbarton,  Rhys has to be careful IMO,   a bigger budgeted side in the championship is probably his natural progression,    

Look at Goodwin at Dundee United a limited experienced manager who has put together a bigger bunch of mercenaries since the Expendables,   Could Rhys sort that mess out with the attitudes and egos on show there,  personally I don't think so...

He is on an upward trajectory, he will move soon enough I think Airdrie might or I hope have him again next season..

12 hours ago, A Diamond For Me said:

I've said it before, but I don't think I've ever seen an Airdrie team so comfortable defending a one goal lead.  The control this side can exert on a game is incredible, absolutely rock solid. 

Didn’t make the last 20 minutes any more enjoyable, mind you.

Haven’t been posting much the last few weeks as I don’t want to say anything that will jinx the good run. Must say, I had a really uneasy feeling in the lead up to the game particularly with the numbers behind TNS - totally worsened after twelve minutes.

Needn’t have worried though. Thought McStravick and Toddy were working really well together but all it lacked was a final touch from either. So glad that Liam provided that bit of Magic, and what a ball from Frizzell.

I thought TNS’ midfield maybe ran over the top of our lightweights in the middle as the game wore on. Frizz & Telfer’s kept fighting though and I actually thought McMaster was really good too. He was able to get a foot on the ball and just calm it down a bit, a really mature performance from him in the second half. As I say the last 20 minutes felt like the Alamo at times, but apart from Declan McManus ruffling the side netting I can’t remember them really threatening.

Anyway, certainly a good day out, supplemented by the new founding of the Al-Hilal Airdrie Supporters Club. What a mental storyline to add to this season.