Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

9 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

A possibly interesting angle on the whole "who will stay/go" conversation with McGill is that I'd imagine he will be one of our highest earners, given the protracted saga of him resigning in the summer. Can only assume he got a big bump to recommit for this season. Has he been value for that money? No, not at all. But only because of his horrendous luck with injuries. I actually think he's capable at this level, but for me he's very a much if he stays, ok. If he goes, ok.

In the games McGill has played since Christmas I think he's been decent, and if he'd had a full season of fitness like last year I think he'd have really helped this year. But my concern with him is that he seems to be one of those players who just constantly picks up injuries. 2 out of his 3 seasons with us have been constantly stop/start with injuries. Obviously not blaming him for that and anyone can pick up a serious injury, but he seems more like one of those players who is going to miss various chunks of the season with different 4-6 week injuries. Feel for the guy as this would have been a big season for him after last year, but from the club's point of view it has to be a consideration in terms of getting value for money from a player. The fact he played all of last season would be enough for me to give him another shot (assuming he wanted to stay obviously), but I wouldn't be surprised if the club think otherwise.

1 minute ago, cb_diamond said:

I'm sure I don't need to remind you where we've been languishing for the last decade. We're getting nosebleeds just been 4th in El Chamiopnshipio

Well then the SPL will of have had no relevance to you ;) 

3 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

In the games McGill has played since Christmas I think he's been decent, and if he'd had a full season of fitness like last year I think he'd have really helped this year. But my concern with him is that he seems to be one of those players who just constantly picks up injuries. 2 out of his 3 seasons with us have been constantly stop/start with injuries. Obviously not blaming him for that and anyone can pick up a serious injury, but he seems more like one of those players who is going to miss various chunks of the season with different 4-6 week injuries. Feel for the guy as this would have been a big season for him after last year, but from the club's point of view it has to be a consideration in terms of getting value for money from a player. The fact he played all of last season would be enough for me to give him another shot (assuming he wanted to stay obviously), but I wouldn't be surprised if the club think otherwise.

Yeah, agree with all of this. Interestingly though his stock will have fallen a bit from this time last year given his limited game time, so if he does leave it will be interesting to see where he goes.

Eventually relaxed last night at the game when the superb Dycey got that so important goal. Clearly we dominated the game but a fairly rubbish referee almost tilted it for Arbroath in so many ways. 

Credit to the subs who did the final job of finishing the game after the young team had established a hold on it. In some ways I thought Gal and Gabbie were a better front two than our first half set up.

It was also good to see Ballantyne slot in so well in that back three.

Arbroath were fairly duff and the constant drizzle must have been a challenge but it's a great win, especially as we'd lost 6 in a row there recently ( I think!)

Now for the Morton moaners. 

5 hours ago, Diamonds Are Red said:

Great posts above. We might fall down due to lack of squad depth, but great to think we are talking about the promotion play offs rather than the relegation (mathematically still possible but looking unlikely now). 

I am sure Rhys will be pushing and encouraging the players to think on the possibilities of promotion rather than looking over our shoulder at the teams below, and as said if Hamilton and Livingston can do it, and Arbroath and Queen's Park nearly in seasons gone by... 

Still a bit to go, and it will be tough. However if there's any chance we can be in the mix then what an opportunity it is... 

Obviously we probably do lack the squad depth compared to other teams but I was actually thinking last night about how much better our depth is now than it’s been for years. The rotation we’ve had for midweek games recently would have been unthinkable for us in past seasons and Arbroath must have been jealous that we were able to bring guys like Telfer, Frizz, McGill and Gallagher on from the bench.

5 minutes ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Obviously we probably do lack the squad depth compared to other teams but I was actually thinking last night about how much better our depth is now than it’s been for years. The rotation we’ve had for midweek games recently would have been unthinkable for us in past seasons and Arbroath must have been jealous that we were able to bring guys like Telfer, Frizz, McGill and Gallagher on from the bench.

Yes that's a very good point, we would have really struggled before and as you say the midweek games and cup run have highlighted our ability to do just that.

Of course we could argue that having a settled line up (particularly up front) would potentially have seen more goals and more points but it is what it is, Rhys has done very well under the circumstances and for the vast majority of games/the season (yes some poor games and/or performances ) the players have responded and tried hard - very few games have we seen them give up and put the heads down. On the whole a great effort. 

Special mention to the goalkeeper for the penalty save last night. Whilst the Arbroath players arguing beforehand may have gone against McIntosh psychologically, it was still a good save. 

He has been thrown in at the deep end in arguably the most important part of the season, and played in a cup final. He's always going to be compared to Josh, but that save last night will help his confidence so good on him 👍

I'm sure ICT (that point up there could prove crucial) should defeat a really poor Arbroath side and we do have a tough set of final fixtures but we should have enough points accumulated to finish above them.

We would all have been over the moon at the start of the season if offered this

• Top league cup group with 4 wins
  • Secure Championship status
  • Progress to 5th round of cup defeating Premiership opposition in round 4
  • Win SPFL Trust Trophy

so to be in with a good chance of making the Premiership play-offs is really just the icing on the cake, and I doubt any other team in the SPFL has more two-leg play-off experience (ok, normally not in a good way up until recently) than us. I expect the Championship next season to be pretty competitive again so one way to avoid League 1 relegation or play-off next season is to be in the Premiership!

2 hours ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Daft point here… how much better does black shorts look with the home kit!?

Yeah, it looks great.  Red or black shorts for me are both equally good in general, but for some reason for games at night I think the black looks better.

4 hours ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

Daft point here… how much better does black shorts look with the home kit!?

Personally not a big fan of black shorts, socks combo,     not bad for a cameo like last night or of we play Falkirk..

Last seasons umbro kit was registered as black shorts and black socks although for some reason was rarely worn...

Premier play-offs are biased towards the premier league team, as they only have to play one tie, where as 3rd and 4th in the championship play three ties, 2nd in the championship play two ties and the premier team only have to play the eventual winners of the aforementioned ties.

Edited by Rio 2

So what's today's preferred results then, apart from the obvious win for us?

Arbroath to beat Caley.

Dundee Utd to beat QP.

Raith Rovers to beat Ayr.

Thistle to beat Dunfermline. (Whilst there is a financial benefit for finishing 3rd, it looks unlikely, 4th place got to be the target and to bumper crowds in the play offs, at least).

Of course, such is the league that a defeat could see us in 6th and cries to sack the manager 😛

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

cries to sack the manage

It's testament to how well he's done but I cant think of one call on here to sack the manager this season. Thinking about the teams that have replaced their manager this season (Arbroath, Ayr, QP, Inverness) you have to wonder how much difference it's made. Ayr and QP probably marginally better but Arbroath and Inverness probably where they would have been if they hadn't changed manager. 

32 minutes ago, moses1924 said:

It's testament to how well he's done but I cant think of one call on here to sack the manager this season. Thinking about the teams that have replaced their manager this season (Arbroath, Ayr, QP, Inverness) you have to wonder how much difference it's made. Ayr and QP probably marginally better but Arbroath and Inverness probably where they would have been if they hadn't changed manager. 

Aye,think keeping most of the team together has been a big plus .