Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

Just now, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

I know it’s not “our model” but I was really hoping we’d push the boat out a bit and sign some good Championship names to consolidate ourselves in the league. Next season’s division is so much more open and I reckon a hell of a lot tougher, as others have said I just don’t know how sustainable this “uncut gems” type player trading environ is for the Championship.

Who says we won’t though? It’s the 2nd of June, I would see the priority being getting Telfer, Ballantyne and Frizz signed up again first of all.

13 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

I know it’s not “our model” but I was really hoping we’d push the boat out a bit and sign some good Championship names to consolidate ourselves in the league. Next season’s division is so much more open and I reckon a hell of a lot tougher, as others have said I just don’t know how sustainable this “uncut gems” type player trading environ is for the Championship.

I don’t disagree with you but it is only 2nd June! 

Just now, Kenny_m said:

With Fordyce gone I would think we'll have to push the boat for a centre back or 2, maybe loanees. 

Yeah, this is absolutely the priority. Agree fully.

The bigger signings probably have a few Championship clubs looking at them, so those deals will naturally take a bit longer to get over the line. No point worrying about that at least until we see what happens with the released list.

I suspect we’ll run with a slightly bigger squad this season with Reid in the same development player with some minutes occasionally role that Gavin Gallagher had.

Posted (edited)

Regarding the negative talk from fans of northern clubs regarding the new striker, just cast your minds back to when we signed Gal and Frizz from Dumbarton (Frizz was on loan), the Dumbarton fans were very critical of both, likewise ATS and Telfer from Falkirk, who were criticised by the Falkirk fans. All turned out to contribute well for the team. McCabe and the coaching staff have a very good record of improving players. I think that is what McCabe is hoping for.

Edited by Sage Monkey

5 minutes ago, Sage Monkey said:

Regarding the negative talk from fans of northern clubs regarding the new striker, just cast your minds back to when we signed Gal and Frizz from Dumbarton (Frizz was on loan), the Dumbarton fans were very critical of both, likewise ATS and Telfer from Falkirk, who were criticised by the Falkirk fans. All turned out to contribute well for the team. McCabe and the coaching staff have a very good record of improving players. I think that is what McCabe is hoping for.

Clutching at straws a little bit , the players mentioned came from teams in the same league or one below

The players signed have came from playing in the Lowland League and Highland League that a massive gulf to the Championship, 

14 minutes ago, Glasgow Diamond said:

This idea might be a bit out there!!!! but what about we give the new guys a chance to see what they can do instead of judging them on hearsay ffs 

Totally agree mate, the negativity on this thread is getting worse on a daily basis - McCabe can spot and develop a player, has a very decent track record at it ! Hancock arrived and Arbroath fans did not rate him, look at how that turned out!

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

Clutching at straws a little bit , the players mentioned came from teams in the same league or one below

The players signed have came from playing in the Lowland League and Highland League that a massive gulf to the Championship, 

He’s came from Aberdeen

Shouldn't be a big fuss it's surely evident he won't be a regular starter and most bit likely be starting on the bench for majority of the season unless he shows something when he's given a chance. 

I'm sure it was the same when Dunlop was announced last year, pure panic as if a 17 year old was going to start for us every week.

2 hours ago, Passionate said:

Indeed he did, but was playing with Formartine in the Highland League second half of last season .

Listening to the young striker he seems to have  plenty self confidence and not at Airdrie to sit on bench ,

O

2 hours ago, AJ77 said:

Shouldn't be a big fuss it's surely evident he won't be a regular starter and most bit likely be starting on the bench for majority of the season unless he shows something when he's given a chance. 

I'm sure it was the same when Dunlop was announced last year, pure panic as if a 17 year old was going to start for us every week.

I think it’s the more the frustration of having 3/4 Dunlops on the books rather than just getting someone in who has experience in the league that we are currently in or higher. 

2 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

I think it’s the more the frustration of having 3/4 Dunlops on the books rather than just getting someone in who has experience in the league that we are currently in or higher. 

Easier said than done mate.

1 minute ago, AJ77 said:

Easier said than done mate.

Yep, I agree but these sort of signings just look lazy and cheap to fans. Signings like Todorov, Telfer etc at least appeared to have some sort of basis