Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

7 minutes ago, Diamonds02 said:

Are we really going with the logic of he joined us so he must shite?

Of course players that are let go from premiership youth academies never do well later in their career do they?

at what point in the post did I say he must be shite? fwiw my logic is..... the term highly rated is banded about far too often and very rarely materialises IMO. That's a get out for clubs to soften the blow of signing an untried youngster and makes for a more interesting headline.  I've got far more time for a story that states the youngster has been signed for the reserves etc. I have absolutely no idea if he's shite or not.

1 hour ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

Was captain at St mirren 18s aswell was highly rated 

Highly rated by who? It’s one of the worst terms in football, means absolutely nothing. Thomas Robert was highly rated….

I'm not too concerned with the latest signing, McCabe has said in recent interviews that he likes to develop young players so it's no surprise that we've signed players at 17/18 year old. I'm sure it's likely he'll slot into the reserves.

I'd be concerned if we were planning to play a midfield 3 of McMaster, Aiken and Elliot Dunlop against the likes of Dundee United etc but that would be highly unlikely.

However I do think within the next few weeks our priority should be signing a left back, centre back and a holding midfielder that are all Championship quality.

The goalkeeping situation isn't too concerning we have plenty of time to get a youngster in as well as another wide forward ideally.

One of my mates showed me the screenshot of some of the tweets on the Airdrie account today and all I can saw is 'ffs'. I'm glad I don't have twitter or I'd be permantley raging at the tweets 😂.

Also good luck to Euan Deveney hope he does well at Alloa and he's a decent signing for league 1 level.

Edited by David Fernández
Spelling error

What I highly rate is Dunlop’s profile and cover photos on Twitter being him getting in amongst the celebrations at Falkirk and Hamilton in the play-offs. Wasn’t even signed let alone barely played like the likes of Joe Dixon and Big Byrd. You have to respect it! 

57 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

What I highly rate is Dunlop’s profile and cover photos on Twitter being him getting in amongst the celebrations at Falkirk and Hamilton in the play-offs. Wasn’t even signed let alone barely played like the likes of Joe Dixon and Big Byrd. You have to respect it! 

Dixon, Byrd and Bright were in the middle of all the celebrations and I was absolutely all for it

I've had a couple of hours to process this signing and actually it's even more frustrating than it was when I first saw it. Let's be real here. It's highly likely we're going to be bottom half/fighting for survival this season. We're generally going to need a higher calibre of player than we had last year and even our best from last season are going to need to be matched/bettered for us to stand any chance. 

Rhys has openly said there have been other players signed and that they are quality additions. If that is the case why, oh why would that come out followed by this announcement. This wee laddie will be nowhere near the first team. No matter what way it is dressed up, he is not a "quality addition" for championship level. Where's the intent in this signing? What's the point? Squad padding? In that case we don't need it announced like this and we certainly don't need it trumpeted with the pen and big build up.

Seems to get good reviews in match reports at youth level and generally seems to be used as a winger of some sort. However It's getting quite concerning that other than Todorov, all the new guys combined have about 4 first team appearances between them as far as I can tell - not exactly the proven skills or experience levels you would want to bank on for championship survival.

2 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Shall we just rename ourselves 'Consilium FC'?

I'm a moany get tonight I know, but...

This is also a problem. It's fine when signing Todorov or retaining Frizell, but in general consiliums roster is to put it bluntly, a bit shite. I sincerely hope we will be branching out further than them.

56 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

I've had a couple of hours to process this signing and actually it's even more frustrating than it was when I first saw it. Let's be real here. It's highly likely we're going to be bottom half/fighting for survival this season. We're generally going to need a higher calibre of player than we had last year and even our best from last season are going to need to be matched/bettered for us to stand any chance. 

Rhys has openly said there have been other players signed and that they are quality additions. If that is the case why, oh why would that come out followed by this announcement. This wee laddie will be nowhere near the first team. No matter what way it is dressed up, he is not a "quality addition" for championship level. Where's the intent in this signing? What's the point? Squad padding? In that case we don't need it announced like this and we certainly don't need it trumpeted with the pen and big build up.

If it was near the end of the window i would understand but at this stage, this response is baffling.

13 minutes ago, Diamonds02 said:

Yours i meant sorry.

Window's just open, plenty of time for some strong additions.

Agreed, however, as I said considering there's literally a story in the press today about "quality new signings" which is then followed up directly by this nonsense, it doesn't exactly set a good tone. This is clearly a signing made to keep Jackie Mac happy and frankly, a waste of a wage that we can't afford to waste!

Edited by cb_diamond

Yeah, I’m not really getting the concern or frustration around the signing of the lad Dunlop. As I’ve said before, as long as signings like this don’t have a detrimental impact on who else we add to the squad, I have zero issue with it. 

Rhys has said in numerous interviews that he wants players he can develop and help move on, which if he can do successfully, has benefits for us, of course.

The timing, given the article in Lanarkshire Sport today, is unfortunate but the club are unlikely to have much control of that. Besides, just because that comes out and then we sign a 17-year-old kid, doesn’t mean the quality isn’t still to come.

We need to remember we’ve re-signed everyone we wanted from last season (bar Smithy who is, in my view, replaceable), added quality in Todorov, and have a squad of 16 before pre-season games have started. All we need are another 4 or 5 players and we’ll be in the best shape ahead of a season that I can remember.

If, in 3 or 4 weeks, we look back on this and this signing has seriously affected adding other quality Championship players, I’ll happily eat my words but will be stunned if that’s the case.

And all of this, shrouding the fact Gabby is back! 🥰

12 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

Agreed, however, as I said considering there's literally a story in the press today about "quality new signings" which is then followed up directly by this nonsense, it doesn't exactly set a good tone. This is clearly a signing made to keep Jackie Mac happy and frankly, a waste of a wage that we can't afford to waste!

Did someone not mention we have a reserve team this year? If so we would need to man up a little on the numbers not that I would necessarily agree with given we have the youth team as well.

It has been mooted before that the club are attempting to develop younger players and move them on for dosh so I can only imagine the signing of Dunlop is with this in mind and that the "quality" signings are still to come.

Edited by Kenny_m

42 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Did someone not mention we have a reserve team this year? If so we would need to man up a little on the numbers not that I would necessarily agree with given we have the youth team as well.

It has been mooted before that the club are attempting to develop younger players and move them on for dosh so I can only imagine the signing of Dunlop is with this in mind and that the "quality" signings are still to come.

That's all fine and well as long as it doesn't take from the first team budget and we are going to give contracts that suggest we will be able to get a fee other than the shambolic development fees. We have to remember we are a newly promoted team that should be focusing on survival, once that's achieved consilidation and building should be next. These type of signings and the chat that comes with them scream of running before we can walk.