Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

As has been stated before,  Rhys has to sit and pass 2 coaching courses in order to manager in the precious Premier League,  That is the rules set by the SPFL, Rhys is aware of this and must be Comfortable with his current situation...

Teams will not come calling until his situation changes

There are ways round about this though - Hearts with Naismith & McEvoy for example even though they didn't carry the pretence off very well.

21 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

There are ways round about this though - Hearts with Naismith & McEvoy for example even though they didn't carry the pretence off very well.

Wouldn't think that would be a problem for Rhys,

I was up at ground today, in reception  and there was a guy came off the pitch, initials BR on his training top....someone called him Ben, never seen him before, anyone recognise the name...maybe a youngster? 

42 minutes ago, ElDiamondo said:

I was up at ground today, in reception  and there was a guy came off the pitch, initials BR on his training top....someone called him Ben, never seen him before, anyone recognise the name...maybe a youngster? 

Ben Richardson, the physio.  

13 hours ago, Mr November said:

There’s going to be a mix up and this boy returns to fill that role

IMG_0702.thumb.webp.b7d35f65ba523bd69ed2b8870046d8f0.webp

Ben Richards Everton on loan from Thistle,   the glory days with a pre crocked Mark Fitzpatrick in the background

42 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Ben Richards Everton on loan from Thistle,   the glory days with a pre crocked Mark Fitzpatrick in the background

Glory days indeed. I know we’re a bit short there just now but we started that season with David Proctor and Marc Fitzpatrick at centre back before big Ben and Gasparotto came in!

36 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Glory days indeed. I know we’re a bit short there just now but we started that season with David Proctor and Marc Fitzpatrick at centre back before big Ben and Gasparotto came in!

We would’ve won the league that season if we had them from the start. Don’t think we got our first win until the end of September that season! Scott Fraser in the middle of the park too. 

1 hour ago, GoalForAirdrie said:

We would’ve won the league that season if we had them from the start. Don’t think we got our first win until the end of September that season! Scott Fraser in the middle of the park too. 

Usual Gary bollan not signing decent players until halfway through the season. See Craig barr and Ross doc 

Well it all kicks off tomorrow with a visit from Raith Rovers followed by an even tougher game, at Ayr a week tonight.

A successful League cup campaign augurs well with some of our new signings really looking the part but some others yet to fully convince and of course still some uncertainty with McMaster & Hancock with another 4 weeks of the transfer window to go. McStravick & Reid and it sounded like McGregor as well won't be involved due to injury. (I'm aware that sometimes Rhys doesn't give much away in his pre match interviews).

So what's our line up:

Johnson

MacDonald Watson Wilson Hancock

McMaster

Agyemang Frizz Armstrong Aiken

Wilson

I've no doubt Mochrie will become a regular starter but he's looked behind the others at this stage.

27 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Well it all kicks off tomorrow with a visit from Raith Rovers followed by an even tougher game, at Ayr a week tonight.

A successful League cup campaign augurs well with some of our new signings really looking the part but some others yet to fully convince and of course still some uncertainty with McMaster & Hancock with another 4 weeks of the transfer window to go. McStravick & Reid and it sounded like McGregor as well won't be involved due to injury. (I'm aware that sometimes Rhys doesn't give much away in his pre match interviews).

So what's our line up:

Johnson

MacDonald Watson Wilson Hancock

McMaster

Agyemang Frizz Armstrong Aiken

Wilson

I've no doubt Mochrie will become a regular starter but he's looked behind the others at this stage.

I think I’d go with the same starting 11. As you say, Mochrie will eventually make it in there but I think McCabe will go for energy tomorrow, which means Aiken over a not 100% fit Mochrie. I’d possibly have Aiken sitting beside McMaster to protect the defence a bit more, as I assume MacDonald and Hancock will need to provide lots of width with that midfield. 

Big game for MacDonald tomorrow. I suspect Easton will start on the left for Raith. Megwa had him well covered last season but while MacDonald has done well so far and is quite athletic, I doubt he’ll have played against too many players like Easton. 

5 minutes ago, Mr November said:

I think I’d go with the same starting 11. As you say, Mochrie will eventually make it in there but I think McCabe will go for energy tomorrow, which means Aiken over a not 100% fit Mochrie. I’d possibly have Aiken sitting beside McMaster to protect the defence a bit more, as I assume MacDonald and Hancock will need to provide lots of width with that midfield. 

Big game for MacDonald tomorrow. I suspect Easton will start on the left for Raith. Megwa had him well covered last season but while MacDonald has done well so far and is quite athletic, I doubt he’ll have played against too many players like Easton. 

Yeh a real test for MacDonald but his performance at Pittodrie did give grounds for optimism.

It is a little concerning when you look at the bench and how important it is that the Wilsons stay fit even though I still expect another centre back & forward to come in.

22 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Yeh a real test for MacDonald but his performance at Pittodrie did give grounds for optimism.

It is a little concerning when you look at the bench and how important it is that the Wilsons stay fit even though I still expect another centre back & forward to come in.

Agree that MacDonald has done ok so far,  mostly as a attacking wing back,  we have to be honest hopelessly exposed on that area so far, with MacD and Bruce playing there,  not helped of course by McMaster telegraphing his passes and is getting caught on the counter,   to me Rhys has to play this game tighter and see how the game pans out,  I will go for..

Johnston. GK

Watson RB

MacCabe RCB

Wilson LCB

Hancock LB

McMaster.  DM

Agyemang. CM

Armstrong. CM

Frizzell.  AM

Mochrie. 2nd Striker

Wilson CF

That to me is our strongest side and gives us more options defensively and off the bench..

Any more word on the new Centre Half who was supposed to be signing this week..

3 hours ago, Passionate said:

Agree that MacDonald has done ok so far,  mostly as a attacking wing back,  we have to be honest hopelessly exposed on that area so far, with MacD and Bruce playing there,  not helped of course by McMaster telegraphing his passes and is getting caught on the counter,   to me Rhys has to play this game tighter and see how the game pans out,  I will go for..

Johnston. GK

Watson RB

MacCabe RCB

Wilson LCB

Hancock LB

McMaster.  DM

Agyemang. CM

Armstrong. CM

Frizzell.  AM

Mochrie. 2nd Striker

Wilson CF

That to me is our strongest side and gives us more options defensively and off the bench..

Any more word on the new Centre Half who was supposed to be signing this week..

Think I might stay at home if McCabe and Watson are in the same defence ngl

midfield and attack I’d probably agree with though.

Edited by Diamonds02

If McGregor’s fit I’d like to see us start the same team that started against EK. If he’s not or if he’s only fit enough for the bench I think it probably has to be Mochrie or Cooper (assuming Reid isn’t fit either). Not convinced a five-man narrow midfield (a midfield pentagon?) would work very well and Mochrie I think will probably mostly play as an auxiliary forward for us this season anyway. Could possibly be 433 with Mochrie on the left and Frizz on the right and both cutting inside to let the full backs overlap, but I don’t think Frizz has ever started a game for us in a wide position apart from in a midfield diamond when Easton was the 10. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a back 5 although I’d rather just play a 4 and have Hancock less restricted.