Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

Hopefully, unlike Rovers, we can reverse our form against Broon's Bruisers next weekend, they were our bogey team last season and it will be a test of the improvements to the team if we can get a result.  I notice their scummy fans are mouthing off already on their thread.

28 minutes ago, Old Diamond said:

Hopefully, unlike Rovers, we can reverse our form against Broon's Bruisers next weekend, they were our bogey team last season and it will be a test of the improvements to the team if we can get a result.  I notice their scummy fans are mouthing off already on their thread.

Calling us “scummy” for wanting to weed out far right mutants at football is utterly f**king hilarious. 

10 minutes ago, Old Diamond said:

"Far right" Aye right!!!!

You don't think "stop the boats" is far right?  

That's quite alarming.  

28 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

You don't think "stop the boats" is far right?  

That's quite alarming.  

Well it was UK Government policy until recently, and Labour's "Smash the Gangs" amounts to the same thing.  

11 minutes ago, Old Diamond said:

Well it was UK Government policy until recently, and Labour's "Smash the Gangs" amounts to the same thing.  

I like you holding up the UK government as some kind of bastion of normality given you are talking about policy area overseen by far right populists like Braverman and Patel.  

Is your brain made of curry sauce?

15 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

I like you holding up the UK government as some kind of bastion of normality given you are talking about policy area overseen by far right populists like Braverman and Patel.  

Is your brain made of curry sauce?

Wrong site 

38 minutes ago, Old Diamond said:

If you can't see the difference in the policies then politics probably isn't for you.

Any chance we can get back to talking about football on this forum and keep the politics chat for Twitter etc? Also avoid sweeping generalisations about the views of entire fanbases? If we want to see slagging matches about scum / Nazis / spoon burners etc. there’s always the Facebook page too. This chat becomes tiresome very quickly 

13 minutes ago, WL Diamond said:

Any chance we can get back to talking about football on this forum and keep the politics chat for Twitter etc? Also avoid sweeping generalisations about the views of entire fanbases? If we want to see slagging matches about scum / Nazis / spoon burners etc. there’s always the Facebook page too. This chat becomes tiresome very quickly 

If you're fans won't self police that shite, then that's the opinion others will have.

14 minutes ago, WL Diamond said:

Or you could call out the mutants in your support, and stop pandering to it. 

2 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I trust that the majority will do just that. Entirely unacceptable. 

10 hours ago, A Diamond For Me said:

Rae and Megwa were both in hospitality.

I didn't boo Dicey either.  He served Airdrie well and was a really big part of the club's turnaround, and he deserves respect for that.  I didn't applaud him either, because when you come back in in the colours of another team I don't think it's the time for that.  Happy to applaud former players if they're back visiting, or in a friendly, or something like that, but that's just me.  Doesn't bother me one way or the other if others boo or clap.

Likewise here, no booing and no applause.

31 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Some of us do. It's a f**king disgraceful sentiment and has no place in society never mind at football. 

2 minutes ago, A Diamond For Me said:

The flag and the sentiments it represents are disgusting and hateful, and given the current situation in England with riots and violence in multiple cities it's at the point of inflamatory.  There are settled refugees in Airdrie, what must they feel like knowing a banner like that was displayed at our game?  Haven't things been hard enough for them?  Can't people show basic human empathy?  

The club has been doing good work in recent years in tackling racism - it's not an Airdrie problem specificaly, but it's a social problem and Airdrie fans are part of wider society.  Idiot flags like that undermine those efforts, and wider efforts to reach out to the community and rebuild the club.   

I'd give you more than one greenie for this if I could.

So any word on the new centre half that was supposed to be coming in,   McCabe was outstanding yesterday, but wouldn't be as confident going down to Ayr on Friday up against Dowds and Oakley...

Also,  if the chance came to resign Megwa would you take it, or are Macdonald and Watson more than adequate .

3 minutes ago, A Diamond For Me said:

The flag and the sentiments it represents are disgusting and hateful, and given the current situation in England with riots and violence in multiple cities it's at the point of inflamatory.  There are settled refugees in Airdrie, what must they feel like knowing a banner like that was displayed at our game?  Haven't things been hard enough for them?  Can't people show basic human empathy?  

The club has been doing good work in recent years in tackling racism - it's not an Airdrie problem specificaly, but it's a social problem and Airdrie fans are part of wider society.  Idiot flags like that undermine those efforts, and wider efforts to reach out to the community and rebuild the club.   

On top of your very good points, and from a very quick look, you also have a player with Ghanaian parents who shouldn’t be subjected to shit like that either. 

4 minutes ago, Passionate said:

So any word on the new centre half that was supposed to be coming in,   McCabe was outstanding yesterday, but wouldn't be as confident going down to Ayr on Friday up against Dowds and Oakley...

Also,  if the chance came to resign Megwa would you take it, or are Macdonald and Watson more than adequate .

Has Macdonald won you over 😉

Can't have enough good players is my view.

3 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

On top of your very good points, and from a very quick look, you also have a player with Ghanaian parents who shouldn’t be subjected to shit like that either. 

I've no idea if Agyemang's parents came to the UK as refugees or not, but whether or not that applies in his case, we all know how purportedly anti-refugee rhetoric very quickly and inevitably generalises to hostility to people of colour and Muslims, and we've people of colour and Muslims who come to our games every week.  What must they feel when they see that flag? 

A Pakistani friend of mine lived in England at the time of the Brexit vote, and the day after it he was walking down the street minding his own business when someone shouted at him that "we voted to get rid of Muslims".  It would have made no difference to explain that there was no such option on the ballot, or that he is in fact a Christian, as far as this person was concerned that general nationalistic hostility of ethnic/religious groups he didn't like could be generalised ad infinitum.  I don't want that happening at our games and our fans and club should absolutelty be opposing it.

Onto football:

That was a good and deserved win yesterday, and in what's sure to be a tight league any three points is a valuable three points.
The game did show up a couple of weaknesses, though. Wilson often looked quite isolated up front, and needs more support. With McStravick still out for months yet and McGregor injured again the need for an attacking player who can come in and give him that support is pretty clear. We're also only one injury or suspension for Wilson himself away from trouble in that area. We also need another centre half. McCabe did well there yesterday, but also had to come off injured, and we're playing another quite physical side in less than a week. He said at the Club 1924 event that he was looking to bring in another centre half, hopefully that's done sooner rather than later.