Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

6 minutes ago, Diamonds02 said:

We did still lose with him on the park last season though tbf

Aye ,but thought he was fitting in better towards end of season,don't think he would have made any difference last night,just grabbing at straws,

1 hour ago, Jack Reed said:

Todorov would not have been so easy to ease of the ball ,

That’s my thinking. An out ball and more chance of it sticking.  Just came straight back at us last night. Can’t understand those that thought we wouldn’t miss him. His value wasn’t in his goals return (obviously Wilson is a better all round player and finisher).

and yeah we did lose with him last season so it’s not to say he’d have made a difference last night. But we will miss him at points this season no question. 

10 hours ago, Sage Monkey said:

I agree with those that are concerned with both Mochrie and McGrattan, but do remember when Telfer joined, he also looked well off the pace, and Rhys simply dropped him until he improved, at which point he returned, and made a terrific contribution, hopoefully at least one of Mochrie and McGrattan can do the same.

One other concern I have is Agyemangs tendency to make desperate lunge tackles, and get himself booked, if he does not moderate those lunges he will be sent off before long, and we all know what our record is like when we go down to 10 men. I should stress that apart from his wild tackles, I think Agyemang has been one of our best players so far.

I would obviously need to see it again, but at the time it looked like Agyemang was very lucky to avoid a red card for his challenge right at the end of the game. 

22 hours ago, Passionate said:

We ridiculed Mick Kennedy of EK for having the audacity to come to Airdrie and play his idealistic football philosophy and got handed his arse big time,   a few short weeks later our fearless Manager who apparently doesn't fancy going up against Oakley gets handed his arse on national TV playing exactly the same way....

For us to continually play suicidal balls around our own box against a marauding Ayr midfield was unforgivable,  the performance of many was cowardly. Namely Aiken and McMaster,  2 centre mids that watched that game totally pass them by,,    Mochrie was poor,  McGrattan didn't get the ball but at least he played his position and Ben up top who was as poor as the rest also....

Don't know why a lot are comparing this defeat to Arbroath, this was 10 times worse than that,    has Rhys taken us as far as he can.....

Rhys got it wrong on Friday night, but let's not lose perspective. We all have a bad day at the office occasionally, and for him this was that bad day. Rhys has spent a lot of time building his team and unless a decent offer comes in from a team with significantly different prospects (higher league), then for now I can see him trying to prove that he can build a team and guide them to promotion.  

On 09/08/2024 at 22:56, Mr November said:

Agree with this. It’s not difficult to know how Ayr are going to play. They pretty much bypass the midfield completely

A bit unkind tbh. We can go long or play from the back. The third goal is exactly how we want to play. Four pases and 15 seconds from our keeper to the back of the net. We did the same to Hamilton last week.

47 minutes ago, edinburghhonestman said:

A bit unkind tbh. We can go long or play from the back. The third goal is exactly how we want to play. Four pases and 15 seconds from our keeper to the back of the net. We did the same to Hamilton last week.

Yeah I didn’t mean it in a hoofball way. Obviously a long ball is an option with the presence Ayr have up front, more that rather than spend time holding onto the ball in midfield or in the middle of the pitch, instead there’s a clear plan to move the ball quickly and directly with purpose through the pitch, with the front five always looking to get forward. I was really impressed by it.

17 minutes ago, Mr November said:

Yeah I didn’t mean it in a hoofball way. Obviously a long ball is an option with the presence Ayr have up front, more that rather than spend time holding onto the ball in midfield or in the middle of the pitch, instead there’s a clear plan to move the ball quickly and directly with purpose through the pitch, with the front five always looking to get forward. I was really impressed by it.

It's a good while since we have been outplayed as much as Friday ,Ayr looked good in all positions,no sure about the keeper hard to judge as he had nothing to do ,good job it wasn't Raith or no sure what the punishment would be for manager if they get sacked for a 1-0,

Wouldn't actually be surprised if we signed Megwa and not a centre back. MacDonald playing in there in the second half on Friday night makes it look like he's seen as a genuine centre back option. A shift to a back 5 would mean we have Megwa and MacDonald as wing-back options on the right and Hancock and Bruce as the options on the left. The back 3 would be any three of Wilson, McCabe, Watson, Hancock, MacDonald. Still hope there is a centre back coming in as I'm not totally convinced by that, but it's at the very least equal to the defensive cover we had last season. Would have Megwa back in a heartbeat, obviously.

14 hours ago, ShineOnYouCrazyDiamonds said:

Wouldn't actually be surprised if we signed Megwa and not a centre back. MacDonald playing in there in the second half on Friday night makes it look like he's seen as a genuine centre back option. A shift to a back 5 would mean we have Megwa and MacDonald as wing-back options on the right and Hancock and Bruce as the options on the left. The back 3 would be any three of Wilson, McCabe, Watson, Hancock, MacDonald. Still hope there is a centre back coming in as I'm not totally convinced by that, but it's at the very least equal to the defensive cover we had last season. Would have Megwa back in a heartbeat, obviously.

Is Megwa the reason Rhys is hanging off,  High Risk,   a centre back was imminent 2 weeks ago,   something is holding this up...although I am far from convinced that bringing in a good CH will make a great deal of difference in our current team setup,   looking back on other games this season,  ok we rode EK in a similar fashion to how Ayr rode us, fair enough,    I spotted warning signs in the QOS game, hopelessly exposed at the back with only 2 centre halfs, with on that day Bruce and Hancock playing so high, that they were unable t ok get back when we gave it away in midfield, which we have to be fair all season, McMaster especially culpable,    we all like the HIGH RISK, HIGH REWARD catchphrase,  but surely Rhys has to go back to a more traditional defensive setup,   if current setup is fine tuned we might get away with it, but full backs , bombing on, no midfield cover and slack passing and lack of dig, leads to the disaster like Fridays 5 nil hiding which lets be honest could and should have been a lot more....

Surely Friday showed that MacDonald is out his depth, either RB ( he was never there) or CB ( hopelessly exposed by his fullback, bit of karma there) I expect he was a good junior or lowland league player,  but his game shows he just chases the ball, he needs to develop a team ethic and self discipline, I think a league or 2 to high for the lad...

Plenty putting the scapegoat jacket on Mochrie and McGrattan,  alright Mochrie dallied at the first, where were the rest though of the team ,  McGrattan got an unlucky booking when Watson dropped him in it, and was binned,  but he played his position unlike the rest of the midfield who were bullied by not experienced pros , no 2 x 22 year old energetic midfielders on Ruus and Henderson 

On 10/08/2024 at 20:55, No_Problemo said:

I would obviously need to see it again, but at the time it looked like Agyemang was very lucky to avoid a red card for his challenge right at the end of the game. 

I saw it perfectly well on tv at the time. Looked a definite red card for me and my first reaction was that he was very lucky not to see the red card come out as the referee ran up. I wonder if the game was closer at the time if there might not have been a different reaction.

2 hours ago, Passionate said:

Is Megwa the reason Rhys is hanging off,  High Risk,   a centre back was imminent 2 weeks ago,   something is holding this up...although I am far from convinced that bringing in a good CH will make a great deal of difference in our current team setup,   looking back on other games this season,  ok we rode EK in a similar fashion to how Ayr rode us, fair enough,    I spotted warning signs in the QOS game, hopelessly exposed at the back with only 2 centre halfs, with on that day Bruce and Hancock playing so high, that they were unable t ok get back when we gave it away in midfield, which we have to be fair all season, McMaster especially culpable,    we all like the HIGH RISK, HIGH REWARD catchphrase,  but surely Rhys has to go back to a more traditional defensive setup,   if current setup is fine tuned we might get away with it, but full backs , bombing on, no midfield cover and slack passing and lack of dig, leads to the disaster like Fridays 5 nil hiding which lets be honest could and should have been a lot more....

Surely Friday showed that MacDonald is out his depth, either RB ( he was never there) or CB ( hopelessly exposed by his fullback, bit of karma there) I expect he was a good junior or lowland league player,  but his game shows he just chases the ball, he needs to develop a team ethic and self discipline, I think a league or 2 to high for the lad...

Plenty putting the scapegoat jacket on Mochrie and McGrattan,  alright Mochrie dallied at the first, where were the rest though of the team ,  McGrattan got an unlucky booking when Watson dropped him in it, and was binned,  but he played his position unlike the rest of the midfield who were bullied by not experienced pros , no 2 x 22 year old energetic midfielders on Ruus and Henderson 

McDonald was poor on Friday, no question. I’m not sure I’ll write him off just yet. He’s only 20 and made a huge leap in terms of quality of opposition. He’s had a few games where he’s done reasonably well so hopefully he’ll find his feet. I get he might fall short though. 

I’d say the same about not writing McGratton and Mochrie off, although for them I’m struggling to think of any positive output so far. And that’s not just a reflection on Friday (where the manager got it wrong in terms of team selection and tactics, and where everyone bar the goalie struggled). 

2 hours ago, Airdrie76 said:

McDonald was poor on Friday, no question. I’m not sure I’ll write him off just yet. He’s only 20 and made a huge leap in terms of quality of opposition. He’s had a few games where he’s done reasonably well so hopefully he’ll find his feet. I get he might fall short though. 

I’d say the same about not writing McGratton and Mochrie off, although for them I’m struggling to think of any positive output so far. And that’s not just a reflection on Friday (where the manager got it wrong in terms of team selection and tactics, and where everyone bar the goalie struggled). 

Yeh, MacDonald has more room for improvement given his inexperience at this level and it's far too early to write him off considering his performances against Raith & Aberdeen.

McGrattan less so, as he he has loads of experience to date at this level, decent footballer but seems to lack a bit of pace and aggression. 

Mochrie was our marquee signing, well to me anyway, and whilst he's been pish to date I still believe he'll turn it around.

We're all guilty writing players off too early and its not that long ago that Josh Edwards was receiving the "he'll never make it" comments at 18 years old. Man of the match on his Charlton debut at the weekend!

Edited by Kenny_m