Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

Just read you were missing a lot of boys. Played well for ten mins after half time and should have scored. Play some very nice stuff, even if it looks like playing for the sake of it sometimes IMO. All the best for the season ahead though.

Another scudding,  to be honest the pre match feels around the stadium and watching the team warm up, could kind of knew it wasn't going to go well,  was it lack of belief from us and more importantly players...

Confidence is shot,  Rhys changed the team around needlessly,  Wright, Gallagher, even Rhys himself lacked his usual swagger,  we had McMaster, Terrell and Gallagher all playing the same game (poorly) leaving Frizzell and especially Wilson exposed,     McDonald let his team down again was schooled by Murray,  but runs around like a headless chicken penalty given last week and saw red tgis week,   we need Megwa or similar..  our nest player is Hancock by a country mile at  LWB not a CB,  did ATS not fancy this to today or was he injured..

Main questions I have is the squad. Is it 23 players now,  that is a lot, and we are still short at RB and especially upfront,  is that poor squad recruitment......that falls on the manager squarely not the board....

Has Rhys had his head turned by Raith were Raith even interested we may never know..

What I do know is football is unforgiving at all levels,   no doubt all the usual pish about getting the lads out on the training pitch, learn from the mistakes etc,   will be rolled out on the socials.....

Next week is massive a must not lose IMO , it's only QP you may say,   I can assure you they will fight for every ball. Will we.....

Just now, RAITHROVERS84 said:

2nd season syndrome incoming

I think there is a lot to be said for this, still very early days and no reason to panic but I would be happy with 8th (same last season), need to keep Hancock and hopefully one more loan player in for the defense, with McGregor and McStravivk to come back I think we can make do with wat we have upfront. 

Not going to read too much into that. We played a good Premiership side with only one defender playing the whole game in their proper position, in Bruce. And played the 2nd-half with McGrattan at RB and one of either MacDonald or GavGal beside him. Went about as well as you’d expect it to with that back line. Actually thought we started both halves well, but the 2 soft goals in the first-half and then not scoring when we enjoyed a bit of pressure early in the second killed us. Wright made some excellent saves so won’t criticise him too much. But what the f**k is he doing at the first? Use your hands! 

Armstrong gave us a bit of positive impetus when he came on. I really liked Aiken last season but he hasn’t been at it for me so far. Lovely goal from Frizzell after a nice bit of persistence. 

The injuries did escalate things quite desperately today. And made it all the more of a pity that Graham’s international clearance(?) didn’t come through on time. That being said, we should have signed another centre-half long before now. If Aidan Wilson is going to be out for 4-8 weeks that could be a massive problem. Also still think we need another forward to play alongside Wilson and act as a proper focal point upfront. 

5 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Not going to read too much into that. We played a good Premiership side with only one defender playing the whole game in their proper position, in Bruce. And played the 2nd-half with McGrattan at RB and one of either MacDonald or GavGal beside him. Went about as well as you’d expect it to with that back line. Actually thought we started both halves well, but the 2 soft goals in the first-half and then not scoring when we enjoyed a bit of pressure early in the second killed us. Wright made some excellent saves so won’t criticise him too much. But what the f**k is he doing at the first? Use your hands! 

Armstrong gave us a bit of positive impetus when he came on. I really liked Aiken last season but he hasn’t been at it for me so far. Lovely goal from Frizzell after a nice bit of persistence. 

The injuries did escalate things quite desperately today. And made it all the more of a pity that Graham’s international clearance(?) didn’t come through on time. That being said, we should have signed another centre-half long before now. If Aidan Wilson is going to be out for 4-8 weeks that could be a massive problem. Also still think we need another forward to play alongside Wilson and act as a proper focal point upfront. 

Is Your Aidan Wilson prognosis a guess or is he out 4 to 8 weeks,  not heard anything myself..

4 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Is Your Aidan Wilson prognosis a guess or is he out 4 to 8 weeks,  not heard anything myself..

That’s what folk on my WhatsApp/Twitter circles have said but I couldn’t tell you whether that is really the case or not. 

When are Falkirk going to learn their place eh? What a self entitled lot having the audacity to beat Hearts! This is in the same week as the Falkirk CEO suggests that we should be a top 10 team in Scotland! How about the crowd wanking, just ridiculous isn’t it?

How unlucky losing 6 goals today lads! 

On Aiken, I think he and the rest of the midfield probably suffered from a lack of balance in there in the first-half. I assume it was to mitigate the lack of centre-halves but I don’t think we need all of McMaster, Aiken, Agyemang and GavGal in the one starting midfield. Looked much more balanced and cohesive once Armstrong came on. 

21 minutes ago, Balde Bairn said:

When are Falkirk going to learn their place eh? What a self entitled lot having the audacity to beat Hearts! This is in the same week as the Falkirk CEO suggests that we should be a top 10 team in Scotland! How about the crowd wanking, just ridiculous isn’t it?

How unlucky losing 6 goals today lads! 

Last time I saw you post you lot were 0-5 down to us at half time so keep quiet wee man

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

Another scudding,  to be honest the pre match feels around the stadium and watching the team warm up, could kind of knew it wasn't going to go well,  was it lack of belief from us and more importantly players...

Confidence is shot,  Rhys changed the team around needlessly,  Wright, Gallagher, even Rhys himself lacked his usual swagger,  we had McMaster, Terrell and Gallagher all playing the same game (poorly) leaving Frizzell and especially Wilson exposed,     McDonald let his team down again was schooled by Murray,  but runs around like a headless chicken penalty given last week and saw red tgis week,   we need Megwa or similar..  our nest player is Hancock by a country mile at  LWB not a CB,  did ATS not fancy this to today or was he injured..

Main questions I have is the squad. Is it 23 players now,  that is a lot, and we are still short at RB and especially upfront,  is that poor squad recruitment......that falls on the manager squarely not the board....

Has Rhys had his head turned by Raith were Raith even interested we may never know..

What I do know is football is unforgiving at all levels,   no doubt all the usual pish about getting the lads out on the training pitch, learn from the mistakes etc,   will be rolled out on the socials.....

Next week is massive a must not lose IMO , it's only QP you may say,   I can assure you they will fight for every ball. Will we.....

If you take that number and assume that we have 23 first team quality players then it is. But that's a long way from being the case. Not sure if Hutton is included in your list but he'll never play, after today it's clear ATS won't either. You've then got Reid, Cooper, Rowley and Dunlop who won't ever start. Then Gallagher and Bruce a level up from that who could play the odd game but I wouldn't want starting regularly.

Looking at the squad list I'd say we have 18 players who would expect to start if fit, 16 outfielders. Of them, there's McCabe who seems incapable of playing 90 minutes, even more than 45 seems a struggle. McStravick who is out with an ACL. And McGregor who seems to be injured regularly.

Even with Graham signing we are still a couple of players short in my opinion, filling out the squad with young guys and a couple of coaches has given the impression we have more depth than we actually do. On top of that, it's not just the number but the variety of player that I think is an issue. We seem to have filled out the squad with numerous midfielders while having no wide players other than McGregor (who would probably play up front anyway), no strikers (good enough for this level) apart from Wilson and as of yesterday 2 centre backs.

Didn't expect anything from today so not too bothered and it hasn't changed my opinion on what our issues might be. I think our home form will see us okay in the league. But away from home I don't see how that squad is going to get results. Any kind of high press and aerial bombardment will see us ship goals and we don't have any pace in the team to counter teams when we are trying to soak up pressure. Hopefully the last couple of results will ensure that the club do everything they can to get another couple of players in.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

McCabe needs to step up now. He got away with it last year but this transfer window has been uninspiring to say the least. 11 goals in 2 games is absolutely embarrassing and it’s relegation form. Injuries aren’t an excuse either as our replacements need to be AS GOOD as our starters but once again they’re not as good. 

We’ve become a team where if one or two of our starting 11 are out injured we collapse like a warm Easter egg. I’ll not be back until we get some DECENT and EXPERIENCED boys in. 

Yes, our young players may be assets in the future but we’re not in the future. Get players that can do the job NOW.

MCCCABE OUT  

It sounds strange after 5-0 and 6-1 defeats but I’m a bit more concerned by things going forward than I am at the back. It was very much a makeshift defence today but it’s rare you’ll have three centre backs all unavailable and even then, so many of the goals today came from set-pieces rather than poor defending from open play. If Wilson is out for a bit then that’s a concern but I don’t see us bringing in another centre back now, so just have to deal with it. Another right back would be good though as competition/cover for MacDonald.

I’ve said it for a while but it’s bad how reliant on Lewis McGregor we are, someone who wasn’t even a starter for a lot of games last season. We have a lot of decent midfielders but if McGregor is out there’s no one with a turn of pace and we end up taking far too many touches and ultimately losing the ball. That leaves Ben Wilson pretty isolated too and it’s clear that his hold up play isn’t great (if it was he wouldn’t be here). We don’t really have any alternatives to Wilson either (I don’t think Reid is up to it at all) which isn’t ideal.

On that, I really liked Aiken last season but he’s been so disappointing so far this season. I feel like his main strengths last season were energy and winning the ball back, indeed it took us changing system to figure out a way to play well without him after his injury. We seem to be playing him as the most advanced midfielder this season which possibly doesn’t suit him as much but even then his performances have been so poor.

At least we’ve got a 1-1 draw against Queen’s Park to look forward to next week to bring back some normality.

14 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

McCabe needs to step up now. He got away with it last year but this transfer window has been uninspiring to say the least. 11 goals in 2 games is absolutely embarrassing and it’s relegation form. Injuries aren’t an excuse either as our replacements need to be AS GOOD as our starters but once again they’re not as good. 

We’ve become a team where if one or two of our starting 11 are out injured we collapse like a warm Easter egg. I’ll not be back until we get some DECENT and EXPERIENCED boys in. 

Yes, our young players may be assets in the future but we’re not in the future. Get players that can do the job NOW.

MCCCABE OUT  

It’s frustrating, especially if you made the journey, but lets keep the head. Last week was bad but we never really had a chance going in to today with a number of injuries and against a much stronger top 6 team. Let’s see how things work out over the next few weeks in the league before we start to panic.

Before the Ayr game we were going to win the league!

19 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

MCCCABE OUT  

Are you fecking serious ?? If so, you really are an asshole ! We will be fine this season and for various reasons, McCabe has not been able to field has best 11. A lot of unessnessary knicker wetting on here!

3 minutes ago, DiamomdsD said:

It’s frustrating, especially if you made the journey, but lets keep the head. Last week was bad but we never really had a chance going in to today with a number of injuries and against a much stronger top 6 team. Let’s see how things work out over the next few weeks in the league before we start to panic.

Before the Ayr game we were going to win the league!

I suppose but it’s pretty apparent that we’re stinking the place out at the moment.

I’m all for supporting the team but 11 goals in two games is totally unacceptable at any level. He’s far too arrogant to change his style and just sit in when he needs to. I’d rather of lost 2-0 today by sitting in than losing 6-1 implementing McCabes ‘style of play’ which at times is atrocious and forced. 

He’s got a week to get it sorted and prove himself otherwise he’s a total fluke and then questions need to be asked…

Just now, Diamond1924 said:

I suppose but it’s pretty apparent that we’re stinking the place out at the moment.

I’m all for supporting the team but 11 goals in two games is totally unacceptable at any level. He’s far too arrogant to change his style and just sit in when he needs to. I’d rather of lost 2-0 today by sitting in than losing 6-1 implementing McCabes ‘style of play’ which at times is atrocious and forced. 

He’s got a week to get it sorted and prove himself otherwise he’s a total fluke and then questions need to be asked…

Oh really ?? Best Manager for years and you think he is a busted flush, as I said, you Sir, are an asshole !

1 minute ago, airdrieoldboy said:

Are you fecking serious ?? If so, you really are an asshole ! We will be fine this season and for various reasons, McCabe has not been able to field has best 11. A lot of unessnessary knicker wetting on here!

The reason we couldn’t field our best 11  is because we don’t  have a best 11 and that’s down to McCabe. 

4 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

The reason we couldn’t field our best 11  is because we don’t  have a best 11 and that’s down to McCabe. 

Yes, so McCabe injured Aiden Wilson and Lewis McGregor for example , what a load of crap and please reflect on the dark days in League 1 when we struggled to beat Pub teams!