Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

5 minutes ago, CJB said:

Absolute garbage.   Injuries are not an excuse today given the level most of this team have played at before.    Wilson, Mochie, McGrattan, Armstrong, Aiken and a few others beside are just not good enough.  Pay them off now. 

A poor defence of a cup that, shocking performance,but expected ,we have been poor of late but that was dire,

5 minutes ago, CJB said:

Absolute garbage.   Injuries are not an excuse today given the level most of this team have played at before.    Wilson, Mochie, McGrattan, Armstrong, Aiken and a few others beside are just not good enough.  Pay them off now. 

A poor defence of a cup that, shocking performance,but expected ,we have been poor of late but that was dire,

Whilst the result is extremely disappointing putting it mildly and we still should have had enough to win, the bigger issue is the injury situation. We simply don't have enough in reserve to compete in the championship and as @AJ77 said, we desperately need to be searching, today, for out of contract players albeit its a tiny market.

Even if the board find the funds to bring in a few more players I'm not sure I would trust McCabe to spend it wisely.    With perhaps the exception of Dylan McDonald his signings this year have been abysmal.   Too many loan players, some of whom are possibly very expensive,  wasting a loan position on a back up goalkeeper,  too many players all from the same mould so that he just does not have the ability to change it up.  How do you fit Mochrie, Frizzell, Gallagher, Aiken, McStravick when fit and McGrattan into the team?    Absolute lack of on the park leadership.   Always knew Fordyce would be a sore loss but it seems apparent now that he was the really drive behind last seasons success.  Personally if we could make it work I would happily let McCabe go and try to bring back Fordyce as player-manager in Jan.  Too many bad choices....don't know what the cause of the fall out was with Fordyce but as manager McCabe should have found a way to make it work and patch up that relationship so he kept his key player.   Forget Cammy Bruce - rubbish.  The money would have been better spent just upping the deal offered to Ballantyne.    Not much we could do about losing Rae, Telfer and McGill - all had better choices or wanted to return home and thats fair enough but Todorov was an abysmal decision.  He wasn't a great player, but he was difficult to play against,  gave us some needle and nastiness that we sorely lack and he was under contract so surely a no-brainer to keep.  At time I hoped he had an ace up his sleeve - turns out he didn't.

I want to be positive - I enjoyed last season so much. It was like having the Airdrie of old back and I knew this season would likely be a backward step but not this far backwards.  Looking at the fixture list its hard to see where the next win comes from - just hope to god our luck turns.

We’ve been fairly fortunate with injuries even going back to Ian Murray’s time, it feels like that luck is catching up with us at the worst possible time. A better team would be able to cope with it a bit better but with the unbalanced squad we have it’s a real issue. 

I see someone on facebook mentioned Hancock is out for six weeks and Reid out for seven. Hard to see where the next win comes from really.

Penny for McCabe and the boards thoughts on their recruitment right now. f**ked it comes to mind. 

The goalies - Johnson can’t use his feet and Wright is 25 and never been a goalie for anybody. 

Fullback - MacDonald looks good. Bruce would get muscled off the ball in S2 football. 

Centre-half - Aidan Wilson looked good but has barely played. Graham and Badley-Morgan are two dumplin’s who can’t pass a football despite that being our entire mantra. Presumably a fair chunk of the budget was spent on bringing them up from down south since, for some reason, we thought we could get through another season with only one centre-half. 

Midfield - Mochrie and McGrattan flatter to deceive to put it mildly. Armstrong would be better off playing walking football he’s that far off the pace. I liked Aiken last season but he’s not been at it since his injury. Agyemang maybe has something about him but he’s very raw and perhaps isn’t ready to play Championship football every week. 

Forwards - Ben Wilson is paid a fortune to do f**k all every week. McGregor is an average winger yet somehow we’re relying on him to stay fit and score goals for us. Cammy Cooper might as well be one of us for how much he plays and Reid was shite in League 2 last season yet he’s somehow our best forward after finishing 4th in the Championship! 

So out of all the signings, MacDonald and Aidan Wilson are probably the only two capable of starting every week in the Championship? That’s pathetic considering we signed about 14 players. Not good enough. 

11 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Penny for McCabe and the boards thoughts on their recruitment right now. f**ked it comes to mind. 

The goalies - Johnson can’t use his feet and Wright is 25 and never been a goalie for anybody. 

Fullback - MacDonald looks good. Bruce would get muscled off the ball in S2 football. 

Centre-half - Aidan Wilson looked good but has barely played. Graham and Badley-Morgan are two dumplin’s who can’t pass a football despite that being our entire mantra. Presumably a fair chunk of the budget was spent on bringing them up from down south since, for some reason, we thought we could get through another season with only one centre-half. 

Midfield - Mochrie and McGrattan flatter to deceive to put it mildly. Armstrong would be better off playing walking football he’s that far off the pace. I liked Aiken last season but he’s not been at it since his injury. Agyemang maybe has something about him but he’s very raw and perhaps isn’t ready to play Championship football every week. 

Forwards - Ben Wilson is paid a fortune to do f**k all every week. McGregor is an average winger yet somehow we’re relying on him to stay fit and score goals for us. Cammy Cooper might as well be one of us for how much he plays and Reid was shite in League 2 last season yet he’s somehow our best forward after finishing 4th in the Championship! 

So out of all the signings, MacDonald and Aidan Wilson are probably the only two capable of starting every week in the Championship? That’s pathetic considering we signed about 14 players. Not good enough. 

Aye agree,that's the mess we are in started with manager and Fordyce fall out,then we just kept falling ,

5 minutes ago, Diamonds on the Windshield said:

I wondered how long it would be before the "Dycey was the brains behind last season" line appeared. 

The updates made it sound like Wilson had enough chances today to score another hat trick but his lack of confidence obviously has not helped.

I think it is proving to be that,defence has been a bombscare  against any higher opposition , certainly poor recruitment is a lot to blame,

41 minutes ago, AJ77 said:

Worrying times, not going to get any easier with Graham and Bruce going off towards the end, McCabe going to get more time due to his previous seasons which people are going to have to accept. Really need the board to bail us out and try and get a couple of free agents in asap

I didn't see Graham going off. Are you confusing him with the other centre half, who went off in 56 minutes, or did I miss something?

One goal line scramble was our only threat in first half and EKwere much better than us for almost all of the game as our unbalanced squad lacked any semblance of playing football.

They began to tire and the game could have been won, possibly undeserved, after the equaliser if Wilson takes that clear chance. 

Mochrie summer up the day with losing the ball many times and that passing the ball back penalty!

It was worrying days several weeks ago and it continues. 

Firhill for thrills next week. 

7 minutes ago, Mingus2000 said:

I didn't see Graham going off. Are you confusing him with the other centre half, who went off in 56 minutes, or did I miss something?

He didn't go off, but pulled up with what seemed to be a groin strain,  Sinky came on for Bruce for the last minute if that..

29 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Interesting point.

I would concur that MacDonald has been decent and A. Wilson was looking the part prior to injury but have they strengthened the starting 11?

MacDonald has replaced Ballantyne/Megwa, so that's a definte no for me and Wilson replaced Fordyce which is still an unknown given wilson's lack of games.

22 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Interesting point.

I would concur that MacDonald has been decent and A. Wilson was looking the part prior to injury but have they strengthened the starting 11?

MacDonald has replaced Ballantyne/Megwa, so that's a definte no for me and Wilson replaced Fordyce which is still an unknown given wilson's lack of games.

Agreed. Wonder how much money was actually saved letting Ballantyne go and signing Bruce? Can’t have been enough to be worth it considering we presumably paid something of a fee for him. 

Firstly EK were excellent throughout,  played decent football and at times looked 3 leagues higher than us,  pretty galling after ripping them 8 nil going on 12 back on the good old days,       So no sour grapes,   should have won comfortably in the 90 minutes to be fair...

Right,  don't know how many people I spoke to today with them uttering the phrase " something's not right".  Is it injuries,   not watering the park causing our bad passing ( I think we can cross that off after today),  to me this has a cove feel about it (Rolexgate if you remember) after that things came to a head, and club slowly began to turn round....

We have so much going for us,  look at last season , infrastructure is there 609k combined prize money a club on the up, a major cash injection from Bartlett and others in the summer leading to well overdue stadium facilities upgrades,  We enjoyed the plaudits from many,  great football, very good team etc ,  

Really since the League started we had e been a shambles, a fighting win against a Raith side that was about to internally combust,  after that Ayr debacle we haven't recovered at all,  no decent football,  a slow decline in realisation our squad is knowhere near good enough for this level and now been knocked out of our cup with a whimper....

Something has to change,    to me it's time for Rhys McCabe to man up or f**k off....