Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

2 hours ago, Mingus2000 said:

I noticed Consilium added Owen Wardell to their books yesterday. 19 year old left sided midfielder, on loan at Broxburn from Bonnyrigg Rose. Highly rated! Fits the model! Should do a turn for us in League 1 next year.

Great positivity mate, just what we need this week !

On 15/10/2024 at 19:02, Jack Reed said:

Players to old for us to take chance,

Don't really know what tha means,  when players as we know can break down with injuries at any age,  look at our current situation..  He should have been ofnjnterest whe. He left QP earlier in season, especially with his skillset of a ballplaying centre half,  something which we cannot say about Big Sam or LBM,

Listening to and reading online  interviews of Gallagher,  Watson, Frizzell, McCabe,  Graham , Wright they all talk about confidence is low etc, it seems the more we talk about tge confidence issue the worse it gets,  this is what a lack of experience in players and staff shows up,  I don't have the answer , but it seems now to be a mindset...   Not looking good,  personally I would be ditching the philosophy which we won't, and somehow get back to scrapping for each other and getting back to basics,  we are backed in a corner...

29 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Don't really know what tha means,  when players as we know can break down with injuries at any age,  look at our current situation..  He should have been ofnjnterest whe. He left QP earlier in season, especially with his skillset of a ballplaying centre half,  something which we cannot say about Big Sam or LBM,

Listening to and reading online  interviews of Gallagher,  Watson, Frizzell, McCabe,  Graham , Wright they all talk about confidence is low etc, it seems the more we talk about tge confidence issue the worse it gets,  this is what a lack of experience in players and staff shows up,  I don't have the answer , but it seems now to be a mindset...   Not looking good,  personally I would be ditching the philosophy which we won't, and somehow get back to scrapping for each other and getting back to basics,  we are backed in a corner...

Yeh, we do, we have no choice. As Roy Keane would say, "back to basics and win your battles".

For me that's the big thing, We have no confidence and no fight at the moment. We showed a bit at Livingston and the difference was staggering, but I think that last minute sucker punch in that game has killed any momentum that might have given us added to the loss of Hancock as well who is one of our players who does get stuck in and spurs his colleagues to do the same. 

We do need to go back to basics and just become hard to beat, Compact and not do anything that invites pressure, At least up until we have a healthier squad or the misery will be piled on.  

I also think we as fans need to really find our voices on Saturday and I know our mood and confidence is down as well but that bit of support might just get the lads who do start heads up and we might get that bit more out them. 

Edited by Rocky Rooster AFC
spelling error

10 minutes ago, edinburghhonestman said:

What do Airdrie fans think of McCabe at the moment? Six months ago he was the next big thing.  Is he too stubborn to change things? Have you brought in too many players who lack experience?

At least you won't need to worry about Anton Dowds next week.

Not many teams can successfully play out from the back ,it really does take a lot of quality and in afraid we don't come near it at moment,you did mention stubborn and may well be,on the other hand we don't want a manager that doesn't believe in his method ,Just got to hope the injuries ease a bit then take it from there,

13 minutes ago, edinburghhonestman said:

What do Airdrie fans think of McCabe at the moment? Six months ago he was the next big thing.  Is he too stubborn to change things? Have you brought in too many players who lack experience?

I think a lot of the inexperience around the couching staff was offset by a fairly experienced squad that had a core that had been together for 2/3 seasons , since we gutted that I think there's more of a reliance on Rhys to come up with a way out of this. Still think he's a good coach , but we are suffering from an inexperienced team that's full of injuries and coaching staff that hasn't had to face 1 win in 8 league games before, and then find a way to turn that around. We absolutely do not have the players currently who are capable at playing out from the back. Nor do we have the ability to find a long pass...or an out ball to hoof it to. It's all very messy 

31 minutes ago, Rossm25 said:

I think a lot of the inexperience around the couching staff was offset by a fairly experienced squad that had a core that had been together for 2/3 seasons , since we gutted that I think there's more of a reliance on Rhys to come up with a way out of this. Still think he's a good coach , but we are suffering from an inexperienced team that's full of injuries and coaching staff that hasn't had to face 1 win in 8 league games before, and then find a way to turn that around. We absolutely do not have the players currently who are capable at playing out from the back. Nor do we have the ability to find a long pass...or an out ball to hoof it to. It's all very messy 

I think this is it exactly. A squad of players who mostly aren't too bad individually but lack experience, aren't good enough to confidently build from the back, don't have the physicality to hold the ball in the opposition half and lack a bit of pace in some areas too. How do you solve that?

We had a similarly bad run last season but that was with a decent start behind us. McCabe figured out how to fix that, by playing two big forwards and going a bit more direct. That's just not an option now with the squad we've built.

54 minutes ago, edinburghhonestman said:

Even if we go down this season I'd still back McCabe to get us back up. We've struggled this season due to losing a number of key experienced players who were the spine of a very successful team, guys such as Fordyce, Telfer, Ballantyne, McGill, Todorov and Rae. 

Recruitment hasn't been particularly great as we've replaced the spine of our team with a lot of promising young players with potential but not necessarily good enough/ready for Championship football. A massive overhaul of players (15 new signings) combined with an injury crisis (10 players out now I believe) hasn't given the team enough time to gel/settle as the manager has to keep chopping and changing the lineups/formations etc.  

We had an excellent first season in the Championship punching above our weight and if McCabe can keep us up this season, I'd probably say that would be an even bigger achievement than finishing 4th last year. 

Although I'm delighted not to be seeing Anton Dowds in the next few weeks, you could play Somerset Boab up front and still get all 3 points. 

1 hour ago, edinburghhonestman said:

Is it stubborn ir arrogant,   it is very much McCabes way or the highway,   to be fair we gad a great league cup section, beat Raith deservedly in opening day,   then we swaggered into Somerset Park  with us probably getting caught in the hype of we could win this,  it seems crazy now....   90 minutes later we were lucky to get out of Ayr with only a 5 goal scudding cos that could easily have been double figures,  we haven't recovered.from that night,   You could say it was the night Rhys McCabe was found out...

Since then we are getting deeper into the.mire of numerous injuries and confidence issues,  cup humiliation from lowland league team,  and an attitude of it will be fine when ? Returns or ? Happens,  don't what they they will be...

We have all watched poor teams and teams with relegation written all over it,   unfortunately we tick a lot of negative boxes this season...   

4 minutes ago, David Fernández said:

Even if we go down this season I'd still back McCabe to get us back up. We've struggled this season due to losing a number of key experienced players who were the spine of a very successful team, guys such as Fordyce, Telfer, Ballantyne, McGill, Todorov and Rae. 

Recruitment hasn't been particularly great as we've replaced the spine of our team with a lot of promising young players with potential but not necessarily good enough/ready for Championship football. A massive overhaul of players (15 new signings) combined with an injury crisis (10 players out now I believe) hasn't given the team enough time to gel/settle as the manager has to keep chopping and changing the lineups/formations etc.  

We had an excellent first season in the Championship punching above our weight and if McCabe can keep us up this season, I'd probably say that would be an even bigger achievement than finishing 4th last year. 

Although I'm delighted not to be seeing Anton Dowds in the next few weeks, you could play Somerset Boab up front and still get all 3 points. 

That's very risky business plan an policy,  do you think McCabe will hang about and will the club want him too,  hope not...

PH is a ruthless successful businessman in the financial world,   if we go down it will blow a holes in our finances of around 300k between prize money,   increased or decreased gates and pricing .. NO business or company in this day and age ,can sit and watch  this happen

Surely the club have a doomsday scenario to try and avert this....

4 minutes ago, Passionate said:

That's very risky business plan an policy,  do you think McCabe will hang about and will the club want him too,  hope not...

PH is a ruthless successful businessman in the financial world,   if we go down it will blow a holes in our finances of around 300k between prize money,   increased or decreased gates and pricing .. NO business or company in this day and age ,can sit and watch  this happen

Surely the club have a doomsday scenario to try and avert this....

I'm not sure if McCabe would hang about if we did go down, not something that I can answer, but he's the best manager we've had in 20 years, he got us up to the championship and if he did want to stay, personally I'd back him even if we did go down, I'd be more worried about another massive squad overhaul again in League 1.

The board have backed McCabe before during poor runs of form and Murray to an extent during the Covid season.

If McCabe did leave Airdrie, who would you realistically want to come in?