Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

On 02/07/2023 at 15:35, Passionate said:

Listening to the interview,   and I am a massive fan of Rhys,  but you are never too convinced on his transfer policy, all very vague..   This is his third window since being the manager and is recruitment any slicker.

I will repost this, a week or so on, we all of the same belief everything is rosy on the garden like last week..

Fordyce being interviewed this week and regurgitating the same  ,  unconvincing to say the least...

Like has been stated previously, we have some very good players in that squad (other teams are the same). Recruited Todorov has decent pedigree , and O Connor who looks to have been signed to replace Smith, after that Aiken ( not seen him, highly rated etc etc)has replaced fellow Loanee Stanway...  After that the lad Dunlop has been signed primarily for the under .s when their season starts I thought, you never know though...  

Do we agree like Fordyce that an additional 2 defenders is what we need to complete the squad,   IMO bare minimum yes, although another keeper as back up would make sense...

We can be naive and happy clap all we like, but  this is shaping up to be a long hard season, where 8th position will be like us winning the mini survival league  ...  

Defence is definitely an area that we are light in numbers so I'm glad that Fordyce is saying that they are looking to bring defenders in.

It looks like the management team are taking their time to make sure that they get the right players in rather than just sign anyone that's available.

I think we'll be fine with what we have playing against Dumbarton in the league Cup on Saturday, I'd be concerned if it was approaching the first league game and we hadn't brought any defenders in. 

Don't get me wrong, I would love the pen to come out as much as anyone and to announce a defender, the close season can be boring/frustrating with a lack of news, but I wouldn't say we are at 'panic stations' just yet, we are in a much better place than last season if you compare the squads.

3 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Still 6 weeks of the transfer window to go, and yes I'm aware free agents can sign after this but ideally we don't want to wait that long as a bad start could kill us. 

The fact that we likely will have started the season without a defence that's had games together is a scary prospect.

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

I will repost this, a week or so on, we all of the same belief everything is rosy on the garden like last week..

Fordyce being interviewed this week and regurgitating the same  ,  unconvincing to say the least...

Like has been stated previously, we have some very good players in that squad (other teams are the same). Recruited Todorov has decent pedigree , and O Connor who looks to have been signed to replace Smith, after that Aiken ( not seen him, highly rated etc etc)has replaced fellow Loanee Stanway...  After that the lad Dunlop has been signed primarily for the under .s when their season starts I thought, you never know though...  

Do we agree like Fordyce that an additional 2 defenders is what we need to complete the squad,   IMO bare minimum yes, although another keeper as back up would make sense...

We can be naive and happy clap all we like, but  this is shaping up to be a long hard season, where 8th position will be like us winning the mini survival league  ...  

I concur that we need 2 defenders and a back up keeper, but 2 defenders who walk into the starting 11 and would add a ball winning midfielder as my minimum. (I don't see where Fordyce said that 2 defenders was all that was needed to complete the squad)

I do believe that some fans are naive if they think it's transfer policy rather than money is the reason we haven't got signings over the line. Lot of clubs at our level  looking for defenders therefore its the old supply and demand issue and as I said previously (which admittedly didn't get much support) we may have to push the boat out to get what we need to survive in the championship. After taking so long to get here it would be gutting to go straight back down.

With so many young players in our squad who do we think are the 1 or 2 who are able to make the breakthrough and start regularly.

McGregor

O'Connor

Aiken

Dunlop

Kavanagh

Fellowes

It's O'Connor for me and although I've seen virtually nothing of Fellowes he may have a chance given our lack of options at the back. Looks to have a fair size about him too.

34 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

I concur that we need 2 defenders and a back up keeper, but 2 defenders who walk into the starting 11 and would add a ball winning midfielder as my minimum. (I don't see where Fordyce said that 2 defenders was all that was needed to complete the squad)

I do believe that some fans are naive if they think it's transfer policy rather than money is the reason we haven't got signings over the line. Lot of clubs at our level  looking for defenders therefore its the old supply and demand issue and as I said previously (which admittedly didn't get much support) we may have to push the boat out to get what we need to survive in the championship. After taking so long to get here it would be gutting to go straight back down.

Exactly. I'm not sure what people are suggesting. We are at the bottom of the pecking order in this league so we need to either live within our means and wait until every other club has turned down a player for us to sign them, or break the bank (in relative terms) to attract them here. It seems like we are doing the former (with a couple of exceptions), and without knowing the financial situation of the club it's hard to sit here and say we should just push the boat out. We have already have done so to keep Frizzell, McGill and (probably) to sign Todorov, there's only so many times you can push the boat out before you get into financial difficulties.

It's been said a thousand times by fans on here, and now explicitly by Fordyce in the press, that we need more defensive players. I'm not really sure what fans like Passionate are suggesting we do other than chuck lots more money that we probably can't afford. Or sign guys who you know aren't good enough but still command a decent wage, meaning that if a better player does become available you then can't afford them.

49 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

With so many young players in our squad who do we think are the 1 or 2 who are able to make the breakthrough and start regularly.

McGregor

O'Connor

Aiken

Dunlop

Kavanagh

Fellowes

It's O'Connor for me and although I've seen virtually nothing of Fellowes he may have a chance given our lack of options at the back. Looks to have a fair size about him too.

O’Connor and Aiken both are here to start imo 

4 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Exactly. I'm not sure what people are suggesting. We are at the bottom of the pecking order in this league so we need to either live within our means and wait until every other club has turned down a player for us to sign them, or break the bank (in relative terms) to attract them here. It seems like we are doing the former (with a couple of exceptions), and without knowing the financial situation of the club it's hard to sit here and say we should just push the boat out. We have already have done so to keep Frizzell, McGill and (probably) to sign Todorov, there's only so many times you can push the boat out before you get into financial difficulties.

It's been said a thousand times by fans on here, and now explicitly by Fordyce in the press, that we need more defensive players. I'm not really sure what fans like Passionate are suggesting we do other than chuck lots more money that we probably can't afford. Or sign guys who you know aren't good enough but still command a decent wage, meaning that if a better player does become available you then can't afford them.

There was an article a few years ago I remember on club finances in Scotland where it was revealed that it was really only the part time clubs in Scotland that were living within their means. Of course there's always exceptions but it tells it's own story.

11 minutes ago, Diamonds_Are_Forever said:

O’Connor and Aiken both are here to start imo 

I don't doubt it but Aiken faces a lot of competition for a central midfield role. If he can start regularly then that will indeed be a bonus.

With Smith gone there's more chance of O'connor starting as I don't see many games where we will pair Gal & Todorov together up front.

Edited by Kenny_m

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Agee with this.

I also just don't get the weird vibe people put out suggesting the club are doing nothing. Do folk honestly think the club just want to go back down and aren't trying to get players in? I mentioned this last year and someone came back with a snarky "i dont pretend to know what the club thinks"  that's just the most bizarre mindset if you think the club is deliberately not signing players or not trying to bring in "quality". 

And now you've got someone saying Fordyce is unconvincing in saying they are looking for quality. Madness. 

The club will be trying in a very sparse market to bring in players that fit the system and can either add to the squad or be developed. We all want the same thing , the club want the same thing , Mccabe wants the same thing , we all want the club to succeed. Its not as simple as just bringing in players, wish it was. There's a pecking order and we are pretty far down it. 

4 hours ago, Passionate said:

The actual league season is still about month away. Plus we can still song players beyond that, as will other clubs. 

Nobody is being naive. If anything, it's naive to be panicking and all doom and gloom with so much time left. Even Dycey says defence is a priority but that we want the right calibre of player who will fit into the style of play and the character of the squad. That's not easy to achieve but the club are trying their best for sure. They've worked hard to get promoted. They're not going to sleep walk into relegation again. Keep the faith. 

A signing or two in the new few weeks and the mood can totally change. Lets just not throw the toys out the pram just yet. 

FWIW, we'd all take 8th place right now. Anything more is a bonus of course. But remaining in the Championship is key and I have no doubts the club will do everything in their power to make that a reality. 

32 minutes ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

The actual league season is still about month away. Plus we can still song players beyond that, as will other clubs. 

Nobody is being naive. If anything, it's naive to be panicking and all doom and gloom with so much time left. Even Dycey says defence is a priority but that we want the right calibre of player who will fit into the style of play and the character of the squad. That's not easy to achieve but the club are trying their best for sure. They've worked hard to get promoted. They're not going to sleep walk into relegation again. Keep the faith. 

A signing or two in the new few weeks and the mood can totally change. Lets just not throw the toys out the pram just yet. 

FWIW, we'd all take 8th place right now. Anything more is a bonus of course. But remaining in the Championship is key and I have no doubts the club will do everything in their power to make that a reality. 

I think we are all saying the same thing here,  but to be fair we are going into the viaplay cup group stages starting on Saturday with the club management basically saying we are short of bodies,  The Viaplay cup for many is a preseason kickabout ( not saying the club are treating it this way). Sandwiched in between summer holidays and getting back to the football after the summer break.

A few clubs in League 1 and championship made decent money last season out of this tournament if they can get through to the knockout stages,  looking at our group it looks difficult to progress,  but you don't know how other teams fair also..... Cup prize money is extra money, and we have had slim pickings over the past few years...  

For me we should be going into every competitive game  and tournament giving ourselves as much of a chance of progression as possible,   I don't see this as being negative, just a general aspiration of a paying supporter..

Maybe I am being naive in my assessment of the situation,    

7 hours ago, Passionate said:

A few clubs in League 1 and championship made decent money last season out of this tournament if they can get through to the knockout stages,  looking at our group it looks difficult to progress,  but you don't know how other teams fair also..... Cup prize money is extra money, and we have had slim pickings over the past few years... 

I agree with this totally as our cup results have been abysmal in recent times but this years fixtures do look quite favourable.

11 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

I'm not really sure what fans like Passionate are suggesting we do other than chuck lots more money that we probably can't afford. Or sign guys who you know aren't good enough but still command a decent wage, meaning that if a better player does become available you then can't afford them.

Exactly why its so difficult and as you say there is no point in signing shite because they're cheap so we need to look at ways of getting better players to the club and I note that the club did post yesterday about attracting new sponsors. I'm not a fan of our youth set up as it will be costly and funds would be better used for the first team, hope I'm proved wrong though.

Just to be clear, I'm not for minute suggesting we go all "Falkirk" with the budget but we may have to take an initial hit as part of a plan in order to progress and consolidate as a championship club.

Edited by Kenny_m

28 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Exactly why its so difficult and as you say there is no point in signing shite because they're cheap so we need to look at ways of getting better players to the club and I note that the club did post yesterday about attracting new sponsors. I'm not a fan of our youth set up as it will be costly and funds would be better used for the first team, hope I'm proved wrong though.

Just to be clear, I'm not for minute suggesting we go all "Falkirk" with the budget but we may have to take an initial hit as part of a plan in order to progress and consolidate as a championship the club.

Fair assessment but it generally seems like we’ve just been signing cheap youngsters in Dixon, O’Connor and Aitken. I have no doubt that at least one of those will come good but they're not the kind of signings that fill the support with confidence or demonstrate ambition.

There’s also the aspect of season tickets which at this stage in the close season rely heavily on quality signings and the looming potential of another great season. 

I get that we want to consolidate as a championship club first of all but we then need the players to help us do that and so far I am unconvinced that we have them. 

I suppose there's a couple of things at play here. 

It's absolutely true that we have to get our signings bang on and everyone I'm sure would agree that if that takes slightly longer than we'd like then it's ok.

However, there doesn't seem much forward momentum. Yes, we've skooshed our pre season games so far, but they've been against dreadful opposition. In terms of strips we're dead last again. In terms of getting season tickets on sale, we were at the coo's arse, again. Every other clubs fans seem to know exactly how many season tickets they've sold. We, as always, have no clue. 

We all trust Rhys' judgement here, but a bad start could do us in and last season we never got properly motoring until nearer Xmas, with a thin, thin squad. 

I'm not a naysayer, nor a happy clapper, but people dismissing others concerns are maybe being a bit short sighted.

1 hour ago, cb_diamond said:

I suppose there's a couple of things at play here. 

It's absolutely true that we have to get our signings bang on and everyone I'm sure would agree that if that takes slightly longer than we'd like then it's ok.

However, there doesn't seem much forward momentum. Yes, we've skooshed our pre season games so far, but they've been against dreadful opposition. In terms of strips we're dead last again. In terms of getting season tickets on sale, we were at the coo's arse, again. Every other clubs fans seem to know exactly how many season tickets they've sold. We, as always, have no clue. 

We all trust Rhys' judgement here, but a bad start could do us in and last season we never got properly motoring until nearer Xmas, with a thin, thin squad. 

I'm not a naysayer, nor a happy clapper, but people dismissing others concerns are maybe being a bit short sighted.

The club shop responded to one of the twitter guys to say that some home tops will be in store before game on Saturday.

Just now, Kenny_m said:

The club shop responded to one of the twitter guys to say that some home tops will be in store before game on Saturday.

The home top that hasn't officially been launched? The one we don't have a firm date for? The one we haven't seen?

Cmon Kenny that's tinpot in the extremes from the club and you know it. If they're selling it at the end of this week why does it take a Twitter response to someone to find that out. That's awful.

6 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

The home top that hasn't officially been launched? The one we don't have a firm date for? The one we haven't seen?

Cmon Kenny that's tinpot in the extremes from the club and you know it. If they're selling it at the end of this week why does it take a Twitter response to someone to find that out. That's awful.

They’re probably planning on the kit launch on Friday anyways. They usually do a teaser the night before, so I’d imagine we’ll see something on Thursday night.

8 minutes ago, cb_diamond said:

I'm only pointing out what I read, I don't disagree with you.