Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

3 minutes ago, Passionate said:

Decent game today, we competed well against SPL opponents,  Dundee were decent enough without really threatening,  The pace down the flanks caused us bother especially first half, Rudden was hopeless, seen the lad a few times and never been impressed.

Airdrie had a gameplan and as long as Rhys is on the park he will stick rigidly to it,    was wondering why Devenney was missing again,  first I have heard of his potential move,  Aiken was very good  I thought, gets around the pitch well, reminds me of Stanway except better.   ATS and Fordyce again we're very good, just the one ball over the top caught us out with the predictable Rae foul to follow,  after his save the game really picked up with the ref losing the plot and any control he had..

We are short though, take out 2 or 3 players and we are in big trouble ,  still plenty time though, been saying that for a while though..

Leaders of men are few and far between these days,  Rhys McCabe is a true leader and his players give their all for him,   who is the last player we had to have such an impact on players round about him Paul Lovering....

Great Post this btw

2 hours ago, Glenmavis Diamond said:

Clearly McCabe disagrees with you since he singles him out for praise in his post match interview. He put in a right good shift and, given its his first competitive start for us, I csn only see him getting better and better. 

Ah well, clearly I disagree with McCabe but cheers for pointing that out anyway   

Edited by Diamond1924

I really like Josh and yesterday he made up for his error with a great save, but there's a clear trend developing that balls over the top are causing confusion with the back 4 (really poor from Watson and Fordyce yesterday) and Rae. I could easily name about 4 or 5 occasions where Rae has either been sent-off, given a penalty away, or been extremely lucky to get away with it (twice in the Dunfermline 4-3 game for example) when he comes off his line. I got a bit of stick for saying this after the Falkirk sending off in the play-off (which was also partly Fordyce's fault again) but there's a clear pattern, and that's only in half a season.

It kind of goes without saying that we can't afford to be continually giving penalties away and/or finishing with 10 men, but the bigger issue is we can't afford for Rae to be missing games through suspension without a proper 2nd choice goalie. Like I say I don't entirely blame Rae for this, balls shouldn't be getting in behind that easily. However once in that position Rae needs to be making better decisions, the Dundee player was never scoring yesterday, or at best had an outside chance, but he dives in far too late for no reason. You can see from Ballantyne's reaction that he was furious.

He's a cracking keeper and he helped turned our season around last year, but as a team and individuals they need to be working on this or it's going to be a real problem this season as we come up against quicker and cleverer players. Alternatively signing a competent 2nd choice would help, but doesn't look likely.

8 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Alternatively signing a competent 2nd choice would help, but doesn't look likely.

Heard that we had scouted and sounded out a young lad but for whatever reason decided not to pursue and at this time continue with Hutton as back up. This may be down to a cash saving with utilising emergency loans again as and when required or that they didn't think the boy was quite ready. Maybe with income from potential sale of a player and progressing through the group stages of the cup this will change.

6 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Heard that we had scouted and sounded out a young lad but for whatever reason decided not to pursue and at this time continue with Hutton as back up. This may be down to a cash saving with utilising emergency loans again as and when required or that they didn't think the boy was quite ready. Maybe with income from potential sale of a player and progressing through the group stages of the cup this will change.

It's difficult because you are signing a guy that you hope never actually plays, so how much of your playing budget do you invest in that position? But as we saw last season an injury to Rae and suddenly there are real problems.

We played the emergency loan system beautifully last season but being up a league makes it harder as your pool of players shrinks but also the quality of the loanee needs to be higher. Even in terms of signing a 2nd choice, any good goalies are signed up to be first choice somewhere, who is going to come in and be 2nd choice all season? It's a difficult one.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

1 hour ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

It's difficult because you are signing a guy that you hope never actually plays, so how much of your playing budget do you invest in that position? But as we saw last season an injury to Rae and suddenly there are real problems.

We played the emergency loan system beautifully last season but being up a league makes it harder as your pool of players shrinks but also the quality of the loanee needs to be higher. Even in terms of signing a 2nd choice, any good goalies are signed up to be first choice somewhere, who is going to come in and be 2nd choice all season? It's a difficult one.

What I would say is that if Hutton is going to be between the sticks at East end for the opening league game then he has to play in one of our 2 remaining cup games. In a perfect world a win against ICT then Davie in the sticks against Bonnyrigg.

2 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

What I would say is that if Hutton is going to be between the sticks at East end for the opening league game then he has to play in one of our 2 remaining cup games. In a perfect world a win against ICT then Davie in the sticks against Bonnyrigg.

David de Gea on a short term deal to put himself in the shop window. East End Park full of Saudi scouts on opening day.

17 hours ago, Chapelhall chap said:

And cash payment gate reappears again. My only minor quibble today was about the goal kick shenanigans.

I kept my money for the post match curry.

Bad news I'm afraid! Rhys in his post match interview alluded to the fucking about at the back and it doesn't look like changing.

2 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

Bad news I'm afraid! Rhys in his post match interview alluded to the fucking about at the back and it doesn't look like changing.

It’s the pointless knocking it about across the six yard box which gives me the absolute fear. Fordyce looks like he’s dribbling with a tattie at times. 

ATS if quite calm on the ball and Ballantyne/Watson are decent at a passing out too so it can work. 

It’s much easier when your midfield are all free but Dundee pressed us really well yesterday and so it was as a case of punting after a couple of passes.

9 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

It’s the pointless knocking it about across the six yard box which gives me the absolute fear. Fordyce looks like he’s dribbling with a tattie at times. 

ATS if quite calm on the ball and Ballantyne/Watson are decent at a passing out too so it can work. 

It’s much easier when your midfield are all free but Dundee pressed us really well yesterday and so it was as a case of punting after a couple of passes.

Not quite punting, one time it worked very well after an eternity of knocking it around the back getting deeper and deeper, McGill dropped deep to take a ball from Rae in the middle of our half and we then broke up the pitch very quickly catching them as they had all pushed forward to press. 

2 games and 2 clean sheets so far. Also Rhys has stated that he aims to play the same style of football that worked so well for us last season. That was passing out from the back where possible. Yes some teams will press us and yes that means we will revert to long balls some times. I'm absolutely fine with that. Miles better than constant long hit and hope balls as a permanent style of play. Of course there'll be times we get caught out, pressed hard, misplace a pass. That's football and every team will make some mistakes. But if we can retain our style of play successfully enough, then I am all for it. Miles better to watch and we are a far more exciting team for it. 

Edited by Glenmavis Diamond

38 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Not quite punting, one time it worked very well after an eternity of knocking it around the back getting deeper and deeper, McGill dropped deep to take a ball from Rae in the middle of our half and we then broke up the pitch very quickly catching them as they had all pushed forward to press. 

Not quite punting? Did you miss the other 8 aimless punts which went out the park? Rae kicked it directly into the path of a Dundee player about 3 times yesterday as a result of being forced to clear it due to Dundee’s press.

Naive if you think we can get away with that over the course of a season 

Edited by Diamond1924

37 minutes ago, Diamond1924 said:

Not quite punting? Did you miss the other 8 aimless punts which went out the park? Rae kicked it directly into the path of a Dundee player about 3 times yesterday as a result of being forced to clear it due to Dundee’s press.

Naive if you think we can get away with that over the course of a season 

Yet we did yesterday. 

2 games in, 2 wins, 2 clean sheets and the buzz on here is scintillating. 

Give me FB over-enthusiasm any day. 

Rhys likes to present a front of having his 'philosophy' as he wants to be seen as a modern manager, which is fine. But the reality is last season he clearly realised/accepted that we couldn't just play the same way all the time and we had to mix it up, and we were far better for it. I remember James McPake saying this in an interview too and commenting how we had become a better team from stopping overplaying and knowing when to play and when to mix it up, McCabe said this too. The 2nd leg of the Falkirk play-off was a great example, beforehand he was saying how we would continue to play the same way etc, the reality was we sat back and relied on long balls to counter them and scored from a long throw.

Outwardly I'm sure McCabe will continue to say what he said after the game yesterday, in reality he's not an idiot and knows that's not realistic. He wouldn't have signed someone like Todorov if his plan was to always play out from the back in nice triangles. I think we'll do what we did towards the end of last season which is play out from the back where possible but go longer where necessary.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever