Airdrieonians 23/24 Championship Thread♦️

5 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Our first goal yesterday came from passing it out from the back and working it up the pitch, but then their first goal also came from us passing it out and losing it. So I guess the net result is even and therefore I think it's too simplistic to just say that we cost ourselves the game through overplaying because we wouldn't have scored our goal if we hadn't been playing out from the back. In fact the passage of play that led to our goal looks much riskier than the one that we conceded from. If you remove one then you have to remove the other.

Some of the goals we scored last season from doing it were incredible, but we also scored some great goals by playing long diagonals over the top (McGill's in the 4-3 game for example). With the players we have I think generally speaking it's the best way to play for us, but we have to mix it up at times and go longer now and then to put that doubt in the opposition's head and use the space in behind if teams press us high.

McCabe isn't stupid, he talks very well in the 'modern manager' mould about playing the 'right way' etc, but he showed last season that he was willing and able to adapt to a less idealistic style, I'm confident he'll do the same again.

Different upfront with a striker  to challenge a high ball ,all depends on how other team line up I suppose, ,

Feeing a little more accepting of the defeat this morning. We showed in glimpses that we can compete at this level. I thought we were much more physical and willing to put a foot in more than last season which is a good sign. 

Thought Ballantyne was exceptional and didn’t put a foot wrong the entire game. 

Home on Saturday so let’s make it count 

2 hours ago, Diamonds Are Red said:

Or is it a case of we don't want to ask the manager an awkward question?! 🙄

Absolutely true but in fairness it's the club TV and it would be extremely unfair to ask the interviewer as he is a contributor on here. Local journalists however are perfectly entitled to ask that question.

15 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

McCabe saying in his interview that we don't just put the ball in the box against 10 men because the likes of Benedictus love defending against that. I'd disagree, I think what they like even more is shuffling across side to side watching the opposition pass the ball sideways 25 yards out and not having to defend anything.

I'm not advocating lumping it into the box from our own half, or even from 30 yards out, but there's times where we work a good angle and then go back again. We couldn't manage it against 9 men last season so doing the same and expecting better against 10 doesn't make much sense. Obviously they are going to win most of the balls, but you only need to win 1 to score, or pick up scraps and knockdowns. It's a far more percentage play then trying to pass through 10 men within 20 yards of their goal. McGill's equaliser against Hamilton in the play-offs is a great example, Gal chipped a ball in towards their centre backs (who, like Benedictus, had won everything that day), we get a scrappy knockdown and score. If we'd tried to work an opening that day we'd still be in League 1.

It's very much horses for courses, if Todorov was playing then we would definitely have seen more but I didn't note many headers we won when we did. Perhaps we we could have got crosses in earlier but Dunfermline had set their stall out for the last 15 mins and their shape was spot on.

10 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

100% this. Honestly, I'm stunned he's getting any move, he's really not very good. Although I had to laugh at the mad rant in the FB bin fire claiming were getting ¾million for him 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂....

....😂😂😂😂😂😂

I've always thought he was our biggest asset and most likely to progress. He's got a great left peg and once he matures physically into his big frame I'm convinced he will play at a higher level than the Scottish Championship but absolutely the situation is not helping the club.

1 hour ago, Kenny_m said:

It's very much horses for courses, if Todorov was playing then we would definitely have seen more but I didn't note many headers we won when we did. Perhaps we we could have got crosses in earlier but Dunfermline had set their stall out for the last 15 mins and their shape was spot on.

As much as Todorov is a big guy he's not a particularly good target man,  especially if your playing it up for him to win headers rather than into feet or at his chest to bring others into play.  

Edited by parsforlife

11 hours ago, cb_diamond said:

100% this. Honestly, I'm stunned he's getting any move, he's really not very good. Although I had to laugh at the mad rant in the FB bin fire claiming were getting ¾million for him 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂....

....😂😂😂😂😂😂

Of course that figure would be nonsense but EPL clubs could easily spend £150k on a whim initially, then various add-ons, making 1st team debut, 50 appearances and potentially it could add up. Unfortunately a lot of youngsters go to the big clubs and then a few years later they're at Woking!

14 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

As much as Todorov is a big guy he's not a particularly good target man,  especially if your playing it up for him to win headers rather than into feet or at his chest to bring others into play.  

You've seen more of him than me but at 6' 3" he dwarfs our current forwards and his ratio of headed goals last season was pretty high given his limited appearances.

2 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

You've seen more of him than me but at 6' 3" he dwarfs our current forwards and his ratio of headed goals last season was pretty high given his limited appearances.

He can attack the ball in the box well,  that's exactly where you want him.  Had he been available I think you would have been quicker to put in a shit load of crosses once we were down to 10 and hope he got on the end of one. 

But winning a header in the box where you can get a run on the defender and you know exactly what your trying to do is a different skill for than winning headers from largely a standing start, being aware of 2-3 teammates runs happening near you and deciding who to try and play it too or if keeping hold of it yourself is the better choice. 

Really good interview with Watson after the game. Can’t argue with any of what he says. Clearly recognises there’s a need to be adaptable in our play. It’s a cliche but hopefully some lessons learned for the squad and management that will ultimately better us in the long-run. 

19 hours ago, Diamond1924 said:

As much as I wanted O’Connor to work out it just doesn’t look like it will come off for us. 

I wouldn’t write either him or McGregor off. But they’re young and very inconsistent, both from game-to-game and within games, which by its nature means we can’t rely on them every week. They have their moments but need a lot of coaching and development time. In an ideal world, for me, they’d both be impact players. I think we need another forward/wide player anyway but if Todorov and Gabby are going to be out for a sustained period then we need one in ASAP as I don’t think it’s sustainable having them both start every week at the moment. 

2 hours ago, Kenny_m said:

I've always thought he was our biggest asset and most likely to progress. He's got a great left peg and once he matures physically into his big frame I'm convinced he will play at a higher level than the Scottish Championship but absolutely the situation is not helping the club.

When I posted about him coming on as sub and thought he was one of the reasons we won the day ,it was pointed out to me as usual on here that he was pretty bad in most games he played up to then ,I still think he changed the game along with other subs but think he would struggle in this league now,got to say though if he is worth all that money get him off the bench and on train to London ,

26 minutes ago, Kenny_m said:

Well it seems that there is no chance of Todorov or McGill being ready for next week or indeed the next few weeks according to this report.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/airdrie-boss-offers-nikolay-todorov-30635079?utm_source=linkCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

Not good news, need another forward/striker in asap can’t afford to have a slow start to that season.

Dont fancy watching that front 3 for another few weeks.

3 hours ago, AJ77 said:

Not good news, need another forward/striker in asap can’t afford to have a slow start to that season.

Dont fancy watching that front 3 for another few weeks.

Agreed.  Was thinking how much we missed Todorov yesterday.  We need a big striker in to give us more options up front imo.  If Rhys had somebody lined up, now is the time to make the move.  Jags will be heavy favorites as it stands 

6 hours ago, airdrieman said:

I wouldn’t write either him or McGregor off. But they’re young and very inconsistent, both from game-to-game and within games, which by its nature means we can’t rely on them every week. They have their moments but need a lot of coaching and development time. In an ideal world, for me, they’d both be impact players. I think we need another forward/wide player anyway but if Todorov and Gabby are going to be out for a sustained period then we need one in ASAP as I don’t think it’s sustainable having them both start every week at the moment. 

Definitely agree they shouldn't be written off, they are young guys and you have to accept when you get young loanees in particular that they will take time to develop. However by the same token this isn't development football so we need options there to allow them time out the team when needed or make an impact off the bench.

I do think we have the answer to a question that was discussed over the summer though, which is what level are the Hibs boys at. There was chat how 'Hibs mates I work with' etc think they should be playing in Hibs 1st team, and that they are 'here to play' - as in ready to come straight into the team and strengthen it. It's pretty clear they aren't at that level yet where they can strengthen us (over Callum Smith for example). That's not a criticism at all, I think Aiken looks a really talented player and O'Connor will definitely offer us something over the season, but they'll need time and we can't be relying on them every week.

I'm not bothered about centre midfield because I think we have plenty options there, but in the attacking wide areas I think we'll need more. Even if McGill is fit we have a weaker front 3 this season, and with McGill being injured it's far weaker.

Hello, 

planning down for the cup game against yourselves in a couple of weeks, was just wondering where to park for the game and if there is any decent pubs close by that will be showing other matches and serve food? 

thanks