Norway (a) - 17/6/23

PSJ.84

15 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

If it was not for the never give up attitude 

AND 

the Norwegian defenders mistake ( ? ) it would have been a **** evening. ...

I don't know how you can possibly isolate those two factors alone.

One: Norway tried to sit on 1-0.

When they brought Haaland off they changed shape and style, to sit far more defensively and try to see out a 1-0. It was a total 'park the bus' job. Clarke spotted that pretty much instantly and made the changes - and even without his input, it allowed Scotland to have a lot more of the ball and start moving up the park.

Haaland's absense also kicked them in a more direct sense, as he put an incredible amount of pressure on the defense that had us effectively stuck with 4 at the back, even when on the ball, out of fear of what he could do. After he went off, we were able to push both Robbo and Hickey up with far less risk associated.

Two - Clarke's Tactical Genius

Clarke, as I mentioned, spotted what Norway did and knew what to do. McLean seemed the outside choice, considering he's the defensive type of midfielder, and really the goal was just down to everyone, not one particular player - certainly not him, regardless of how amazing the finish was. McLean also allowed us to chance into a slightly more attacking shape, with him adding one more to the midfield at the cost of one defender - something which was impossible with Norway - Haaland's Norway - pinning us to our own third.

The Dykes goal was almost entirely down the error by the defender(s), you can have that one, and I doubt anyone will disagree. The one who was closest to Dykes left it for the guy behind him, who didn't clock on to it at all. The nearer defender also seemed to Cramp as he stretched for the ball, probably helping Dykes out a bit. It was a lucky moment, and without it, it was 1-1 at best.

The "Never say die" attitude did also play a massive part, however the tactics behind it were what gave it the platform to work.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, Rugster said:

It must be brutal being as utterly miserable and negative as you. 

It's ok, this living in the real world, lark.

It must be weird to wilfully suspend critical faculties.

I was delighted last night, I still am.   It was one of those memorable nights when we got a vital victory.  There's nothing quite as thrilling as a very late turnaround that goes in your favour in an important match.

I just don't see why that requires me to become a fool who's in denial.  We obviously are a decent side now, and given the last couple of decades, that's worth celebrating.  However, last night, we weren't great, yet got lucky in a way that seldom happens.

That really is all, People.

53 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Criticising someone for an OTT reaction, while offering a ridiculous OTT viewpoint in the opposite direction. 

I don't though.

We were second best in every respect last night, bar the one which, mercifully, matters.

27 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

I'm not saying we absolutely bossed them or anything like that. I'm mostly comparing the live watch (where I tended to think we were taking a doing) with the replay where it actually seemed much more comfortable.

The two headers were real chances and of course Norway would have won if they'd converted every good chance they created but teams very rarely do that. The fact remains that Angus Gunn did not have one save to make that you wouldn't have expected any Scottish League Two keeper to make.

The timing of the goals obviously makes it feel like an absolute smash and grab but over the balance of play, it was a more even game than I initially felt while i was watching it.

That's fair enough.

4 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I don't though.

We were second best in every respect last night, bar the one which, mercifully, matters.

Turning everything around to suggest things like only conceding one penalty wasn’t the worst possible scenario is the exact definition of that. Alternatively we could have conceded zero penalties. 

Were we second best? Probably, but ultimately both sides created relatively similar amounts of chances. 

The result is obviously the most important thing but It’s a difficult performance to properly assess. It wasn’t a great watch for 85 minutes but the players carried out the tactics well. Steve Clarke certainly thought so. He tried to play for a 0-0 with a plan B of keep it to 0-1 until the last 10 minutes, at which point you push for an equaliser. It worked but it’s a risky tactic. I can understand why he'll try it away to Spain but it seemed overly defensive against an average Norway. I’d have liked to have seen us try to keep the ball better (I know Clarke mentioned the passing accuracy stats were good but it was mainly sideways then backwards before being hoofed up towards Dykes) and offer more of a counter attacking threat. 

1 hour ago, GAD said:

All we did was defend better than them, finish our chances better and got lucky the ref who gave numerous incorrect or harsh decisions against us (whilst completely ignoring several fouls and cards for Norway) didn't shaft us even harder. We should be ashamed.

You see, that's just silly.

A strange thing happens when some posters enter the Tartan Army sections of the board. 

4 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

We had two chances and scored both. They had two chances, plus a generous penalty award and scored one. 

I don’t really see what there is to argue about tbh. 

They had 3 penalty shouts in the game, the weakest of which was given.  The middle one was stonewall as far as I can see.  Porteous was very fortunate not to have already been booked, by the time he was.  Hendrie could easily have been given a straight red earlier on.

We completely rode our luck, then scored twice out of the blue.  It was absolutely fantastic.

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

They had 3 penalty shouts in the game, the weakest of which was given.  The middle one was stonewall as far as I can see.  Porteous was very fortunate not to have already been booked, by the time he was.  Hendrie could easily have been given a straight red earlier on.

We completely rode our luck, then scored twice out of the blue.  It was absolutely fantastic.

I genuinely have no idea what the first “penalty shout” was. Haaland had a hold of Hendry’s shirt for the second. The penalty was an example of us being unlucky. 

You definitely can’t be using examples of bookings our players should have got, given we got numerous ridiculous ones while Norway got away with literally everything. 

At least we agree on the fantastic point!

7 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I genuinely have no idea what the first “penalty shout” was. Haaland had a hold of Hendry’s shirt for the second. The penalty was an example of us being unlucky. 

You definitely can’t be using examples of bookings our players should have got, given we got numerous ridiculous ones while Norway got away with literally everything. 

At least we agree on the fantastic point!

Ok, we were brilliant.

Had we not taken all 3 points, it would clearly have been a travesty.

Some guys genuinely cannot do 'objective'.  It's beyond them.

Just now, Monkey Tennis said:

Ok, we were brilliant.

Had we not taken all 3 points, it would clearly have been a travesty.

Some guys genuinely cannot do 'objective'.  It's beyond them.

Haha, I never once said that. 

My entire point - there’s a middle ground.