League Cup Group E - Dundee, ICT, Airdrie, Dumbarton and Bonnyrigg

8 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Maybe from the 3/4 minutes Welsh was down? And all the subs and your keeper taking 30 seconds minimum for every goal kick after your second goal? Not complaining as Ridgers is a master of it but not hard to see where all the stoppage time came from. A few of your players seemed to tactically go down too…

You were well worth the win though and I felt our players totally underestimated Dumbarton and we paid the price. All the best for the rest of the season! 

(Anyone watching the stream get a good look at the disallowed goal? From where I was sat looked nothing wrong with it but might’ve missed something) 

I thought at the time Broun got away with it as he misjudged the ball, I'd need to see it back again properly but seeing this picture below hasn't really convinced me that Broun was fouled.

Screenshot_20230719-074433_Chrome.jpg

31 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I thought at the time Broun got away with it as he misjudged the ball, I'd need to see it back again properly but seeing this picture below hasn't really convinced me that Broun was fouled.

Screenshot_20230719-074433_Chrome.jpg

That looks like a foul to me to be honest, albeit I'll have to watch it back. Basically if Broun is touching the ball then there's a 99 percent chance it's a foul, you can't make contact with the keeper or the ball if it's being handled in any way really.

A goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball with the hand(s) when: the ball is between the hands or between the hand and any surface

I've just watched Billy Dodds' post-match back, and it's really good stuff. Saying that they played well, the only issue was that they didn't defend properly and weren't good enough in the final third. That doesn't sound like a good performance to me, m9. I also would suggest he's kidding himself by saying that our goals came from near enough the only time we went forward.

6 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

That looks like a foul to me to be honest, albeit I'll have to watch it back. Basically if Broun is touching the ball then there's a 99 percent chance it's a foul, you can't make contact with the keeper or the ball if it's being handled in any way really.

I've just watched Billy Dodds' post-match back, and it's really good stuff. Saying that they played well, the only issue was that they didn't defend properly and weren't good enough in the final third. That doesn't sound like a good performance to me, m9. I also would suggest he's kidding himself by saying that our goals came from near enough the only time we went forward.

It's the rules I have a problem with then. If that's a foul then the keepers are too protected. He doesn't appear to be stopping Broun making an attempt for the ball, he's challenging fairly and Broun drops the ball for me. 

44 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Were the midges getting to him or something?
Gutted not to make it, a combination of pixellot, sunset, iPad made a shite viewing experience of what looked like a cracking cup tie. I see somebody mentioned you could switch to YouTube, wish I’d done that so I could have cast it to the tv (d’oh). I did try the YouTube link beforehand but it looked like something dodgy at the time.

Nice to have respectful unbiased commentary 👏 whoever the guys were, well done and bonus points for topping up our squad with new signings Draper, Walsh and somebody called Richards or Ridgerds 😉

No game for us on Saturday so it’s a shame your game isn’t at NDP as I could stroll along there after a couple of pints.

Edited by The Mantis

I'd say Billy Mckay was the only one who got pass marks last night, mad to think that we were fannying him about with a contract.

On another note I am still trying to find the right word/s to describe the shade of grey of the meat filling inside the bridie I bought at the ground.  If it's in the Dulux colour chart it'll be named something like "roadkill offal"!

2 hours ago, KingBeastie said:

I'd say Billy Mckay was the only one who got pass marks last night, mad to think that we were fannying him about with a contract.

On another note I am still trying to find the right word/s to describe the shade of grey of the meat filling inside the bridie I bought at the ground.  If it's in the Dulux colour chart it'll be named something like "roadkill offal"!

It's an elephant pie.

I try to view these group stage games as an extended pre-season so while the defeat is annoying I'm not too bothered. We seemed to create our fair share of chances and on another day could have score a few so going forward isn't a worry.

Davidson with some horrific defending for the second goal but I am putting that down to settling into the team, that is being very generous in fairness.

That first goal though... what was Duffy thinking. We have to sign and good solid centre back to replace Deas. Duffy was fine as a right back to play 15 or so games a season in rotation with Carson but still had a fair few ropey moments. His Cup Final display was tremendous and I find it extremely concerning that we are going to give him a go as a starting centre back off of that performance, which would be an massive mistake. I was all for giving him a shot as a starting right back if Carson was going to replace Allardice in midfield but we will have major problems this season if we have not brought in a direct replacement for our best centre back.

I am aware that there is still plenty time left in the transfer window, we only really need 2 or maybe 3 more in (at least one winger would be nice) and Dodds has said he wants to bring in a defender so I might be getting all worked up for nothing but right now it's not looking great.

3 hours ago, KingBeastie said:

Mackay had a shot late on that flew over but he made a strong protest to the ref that it had been deflected (it hadn't).  I commented to my mates that he looked to be the only Caley player who seemed genuinely fired up, as there was a general air of torpor about his team-mates all evening.

2 hours ago, EpicMike said:

Will there be a pay at the gate for Airdrie vs Dundee? Worried that tickets might not arrive in time if I order online.

The website says no cash gate on Saturday but I think they occasionally change their mind and have one. The online tickets just get sent to your email though, not posted, so that’s the safe bet.

6 minutes ago, Mr November said:

The website says no cash gate on Saturday but I think they occasionally change their mind and have one. The online tickets just get sent to your email though, not posted, so that’s the safe bet.

Bought the tickets online and got an E-ticket.

Unfortunately, I bought one too many so have a spare Adult ticket I need to try and flog now.