US Presidential Election 2024

scottsdad

From the Independent - I know it's from a relative's book, but maybe another glimpse into what escapes from the mind of Donald Trump and apparently found its way out of his mouth - during COVID.  During a private meeting at the outset of the Covid-19 pandemic, then-president Donald Trump reportedly mused aloud about whether people with disabilities would be better off dead instead of causing more expenses for their caregivers.

"Following the White House meeting, Fred Trump III said he was ushered back into the Oval Office with his uncle and Azar at Donald Trump’s request.

His uncle greeted him: “Hey, pal — how’s everything going?”

Fred Trump III told him things were “good” and thanked him for meeting.

At that point, he writes that his uncle started to speak again.

“Those people ...” he said, trailing off. “The shape they’re in, all the expenses, maybe those kinds of people should just die,” he suggested, according to the book.

Fred Trump III added that at the time, he “truly did not know what to say.” "

At least bleach wasn't mentioned.

From - https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-nephew-disability-memoir-b2585139.html

44 minutes ago, TxRover said:

As has been said before, WAY too early to worry about polls.

Yeah, given both sides are clownshoe outfits it's going to swing back and forth until the election.

Just now, Cheese said:

Yeah, given both sides are clownshoe outfits it's going to swing back and forth until the election.

Plus many voters with the attention span of gnats…and another group who get their news via rumour and innuendo…plus a shiteload of morons.

18 minutes ago, MazzyStar said:

It’s made up numbers on a screen anyway. 

You're laughing ?

There's some fucking nerd in a suit on Wall Street crying right now and you're laughing ?

4 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

Cooper - know literally f**k all about him: must be decent if he can take NC as a Dem.  Similar to Beshear tho, won’t bring the state with him. 

He might bring the state with him - it was Trump's most marginal state in 2020, only 1.35% in it. North Carolina's demographics have been changing rapidly as lots of northerners have been moving there. It's much more likely to turn Democrat in this election than Georgia was in the last election.

Kelly - plays well countrywide because astronaut, also uniquely placed to talk political violence if they decide hammering Trump on J6 is the way forward; problems as above

Kelly helps hugely in Arizona, which was ultra-marginal and looks to be getting away, and presumably Nevada too. But they don't carry the electoral college votes of the Midwest states.

Mark Kelly is the bookie's favourite, maybe partly because it will make Vance's bragging about doing a stint in the Marines look lame, he was an office boy in the public affairs dept, whereas as Kelly flew combat missions in the first Iraq War. They say vice presidents rarely make a positive difference, adding their state to the ballot isn't a given, picking a bad one can be disastrous though, like Dan Quayle or Sarah Palin.

13 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Mark Kelly is the bookie's favourite, maybe partly because it will make Vance's bragging about doing a stint in the Marines look lame, he was an office boy in the public affairs dept, whereas as Kelly flew combat missions in the first Iraq War. They say vice presidents rarely make a positive difference, adding their state to the ballot isn't a given, picking a bad one can be disastrous though, like Dan Quayle or Sarah Palin.

The myth of the VP's home state advantage comes from JFK winning Texas with LJB.  

Research shows there even if presidential candidates perform marginally better in their running mate’s home state, their overall national popularity seems largely unaffected.

The biggest reason for a particular VP pick is that they weren't a vocal critic in the primaries/caucuses - their words can't be turned back on the Presidential candidate - this is possibly why Vance has been chosen.

On the movie tip, anytime I see Vance now, my brain just goes instantly to the scene in Withnail And I where Paul McGann sees the 'I f**k arses' graffiti in the pub toilet, except now all I can hear his internal monologue saying is 'I f**k couches. Who fucks couches? Maybe he fucks couches.'