US Presidential Election 2024

scottsdad

1 hour ago, bigmarv said:

According to the President at the time, its was down to him (the President) to save the day by sending in the National Guard. 

And there you have it, Trump being the pompous twat by declaring he has the riots under control not the Governor, and he will lie stating that Walz dithered for 3 days and that he Trump took the reins, it's ideal Trump spin.

I saw an interesting clip from MSNBC saying that while Walz may have been picked to try and get rural voters in Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania etc to vote Democrat, when you drill down into the numbers from his successful gubernatorial race and that he actually lost many rural districts and was carried by the Twin Cities and suburbs. So if they're planning on using him as a sort of "aw shucks" rural everyman to get some of those swing states to go blue it might not be as straightforward as that. I guess that Shapiro, Whitmer and Kelly can still be very decent surrogates and hopefully they can get the vote out.

Just now, Salvo Montalbano said:

I saw an interesting clip from MSNBC saying that while Walz may have been picked to try and get rural voters in Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania etc to vote Democrat, when you drill down into the numbers from his successful gubernatorial race and that he actually lost many rural districts and was carried by the Twin Cities and suburbs. So if they're planning on using him as a sort of "aw shucks" rural everyman to get some of those swing states to go blue it might not be as straightforward as that. I guess that Shapiro, Whitmer and Kelly can still be very decent surrogates and hopefully they can get the vote out.

Added to the fact that VP picks don't influence voters like that. In any presidential election ever. The VP pick should only be analysed in terms of what it tells you about a presidential candidates judgement.

2 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

You've failed to address a pivotal moment in American civil history when Walz failed to act for three days on the civil disobedience, riots arson and looting, the cost to Minneapolis alone was $350 Million dollars.

Watch Trump and Vance exploit the George Floyd riots which fired up Global protesting'.

On that massive point Walz is a weakness.

I'm no Trump supporter but Harris has provided him and Vance with a sitting target.

I'm sure this line of attack will go down well with everyone who has zero intention of voting Democrat anyway.

Outside of that, I doubt it will make much difference. 

I'm not sure how much impact the choice of running mate will actually have in this election, but the Republicans are probably weaker in this regard given how much of a weirdo Vance is.

2 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

Walz held his hands up at the time and admitted both the city and state responses were inadequate - and by ‘inadequate’ he meant ‘not quelled quickly enough’ which would be taking the center to center-right position. There’s also the issue of who was President at the time, so any attempts at making political capital from it may take more skill than the Trump campaign has at hand. 

Here's the rub with Walz, his 24 year military service was initially in the Nebraska National Guard and then the Minnesota National Guard, the same National Guard that Trump says he mobilised.

You can see the spin coming.

3 minutes ago, Cheese said:

I'm sure this line of attack will go down well with everyone who has zero intention of voting Democrat anyway.

Outside of that, I doubt it will make much difference. 

I'm not sure how much impact the choice of running mate will actually have in this election, but the Republicans are probably weaker in this regard given how much of a weirdo Vance is.

You're right about Vance, Hillbilly Elegy the 2020 hit movie is all about his childhood in backwoods Kentucky. 

I'm not saying Vance is any better than Walz but for me Walz is a poor choice, Harris could have done better.

9 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Here's the rub with Walz, his 24 year military service was initially in the Nebraska National Guard and then the Minnesota National Guard, the same National Guard that Trump says he mobilised.

You can see the spin coming.

Whereas Trump’s national service is stellar.

4 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

You're right about Vance, Hillbilly Elegy the 2020 hit movie is all about his childhood in backwoods Kentucky. 

I'm not saying Vance is any better than Walz but for me Walz is a poor choice, Harris could have done better.

Vance was born and raised in Ohio. If you’re going with who’s more relatable out of a dude who did 24 years National Guard, was a high school teacher and a high school football coach vs a guy who went to Yale and then became best buds with venture capital billionaires, it’s likely Timmy. It’s worth noting Vance polls worse in his home state than he does anywhere else; it seems the more folks see him, the less they like him. 

I remember trying to read "Hillbilly Elegy" when it first came out and was all the rage of the liberal elites. It was utter turgid pish and I managed about a chapter and a half before chucking it.

As so-called literature, it's on a level with "Shuggy Bain" - more insipid boring pish that the liberal elites wet their knickers over.

As for Minnesota, a lot of the arsonists during the rioting there turned out to be right wing agitators, mounting false flag attacks on the protestors. 

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/oct/23/texas-boogaloo-boi-minneapolis-police-building-george-floyd

https://abcnews.go.com/US/man-helped-ignite-george-floyd-riots-identified-white/story?id=72051536

I doubt Trump will want to say much about calling out the national guard given he refused pleas to do while rioters were threatening to hang his VP.

Edited by welshbairn

38 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I doubt Trump will want to say much about calling out the national guard given he refused pleas to do while rioters were threatening to hang his VP.

But that was totes Nimarata’s fault  :) 

1 hour ago, Freedom Farter said:

That reads like he's shiting himself. He used to taunt his opposition before whereas now he cries foul about them.

He’s like Black Lace going through all the old hits in 1990s Butlins :) 

After an interview with streamer Adin Ross (who presented him with a cyber truck wrapped with an image of the assassination attempt), Trump will now be doing a twitter spaces interview with Elon Musk soon. It was always going to be hard to react to the Democrats changing horse mid race but pivoting to the 2022 election strategy of speaking mainly to a couple of million oddballs on twitter, who predominantly live outside of the US, and the audience of the stupidest gaming streamer, is not gonna do the job. 

The economy could tank I suppose, the situation in swing states might be enough, but this being the position before campaigning even really starts... I'd say he's probably done. And maga without Trump in '28 will likely fall off a cliff, as he is the least weird part of the movement 

10 minutes ago, GHF-23 said:

After an interview with streamer Adin Ross (who presented him with a cyber truck wrapped with an image of the assassination attempt), Trump will now be doing a twitter spaces interview with Elon Musk soon. It was always going to be hard to react to the Democrats changing horse mid race but pivoting to the 2022 election strategy of speaking mainly to a couple of million oddballs on twitter, who predominantly live outside of the US, and the audience of the stupidest gaming streamer, is not gonna do the job. 

The economy could tank I suppose, the situation in swing states might be enough, but this being the position before campaigning even really starts... I'd say he's probably done. And maga without Trump in '28 will likely fall off a cliff, as he is the least weird part of the movement 

Trump was obviously unique in 2016 having that nationwide name recognition, outsider anti political establishment feel and a level of charisma. Both DeSantis and now Vance have been identified as the potential heir apparent and both have absolutely melted after coming into the wider public view, as they're  unpleasant goons who only appeal to a minority of terminally online oddballs.

The worry has always been that a smarter, more aware, less openly polarising version of Trump appears, although you would expect the men in grey suits faction of the Republicans to mount a counter coup to regain control of the party again.

26 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Trump was obviously unique in 2016 having that nationwide name recognition, outsider anti political establishment feel and a level of charisma. Both DeSantis and now Vance have been identified as the potential heir apparent and both have absolutely melted after coming into the wider public view, as they're  unpleasant goons who only appeal to a minority of terminally online oddballs.

The worry has always been that a smarter, more aware, less openly polarising version of Trump appears, although you would expect the men in grey suits faction of the Republicans to mount a counter coup to regain control of the party again.

Or meatballs in DeSantis case.