US Presidential Election 2024

scottsdad

"Make me President because I'm tall. Just ignore my titanic waistline, stubby wee fingers, and button mushroom cock".

"Please put your trousers back on, Mr President"

3 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I don't really understand the American constitution so can somebody tell me whether there is any way that the Supreme Court can give the election to Trump?

yep, all it takes is a state (or states) that would give Trump the numbers to win to dispute a close count and  take the case all the way. 

It happened in 2000 with Florida. Imagine a world where Dubbya was never president  

https://constitutioncenter.org/amp/blog/on-this-day-bush-v-gore-anniversary

Edited by bigmarv

3 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I don't really understand the American constitution so can somebody tell me whether there is any way that the Supreme Court can give the election to Trump?

Perhaps. There’s a lot of nuance in the possible answers, because they can’t directly give it to him, but they can tilt things his way and make decisions that could range from a little aid to outright putting him in office (i.e. the 2000 scenario).

On the simplest level, the Court can only act upon complaints brought to its level…however, the Court may also accept complaints that have not fully percolated through the lower levels, although this is rare and even the current Court has hesitated to do this in most, but not all, cases. Generally, the Court needs four votes to consider a case, and the outright pro-Trump faction can be counted as two vote plus an occasional one more.

So the Court realistically needs a Case to act upon to hand anything to Trump, and that’s unlikely as the Republicans seem focused on challenging results to throw the decision to the State Legislatures they control (i.e. as in Georgia). If the ballot totals are not certified by the deadlines (two on Nov 12 and Nov 22 in Georgia), it is an open question how the States electors would be picked…most likely by the State Legislature, where Republicans currently hold a 33-23 Senate advantage and a 102-78 House advantage.

If that happens, an appeal to the Supreme Court could occur, much like 2000, and their ruling could thus impact or decide the election (Michigan, Arizona and Nevada are also ripe for this strategy…although the Legislative balances vary). On the whole, I wouldn’t worry too much about the Supreme Court, I’d worry much more about local and State level shenanigans.

I wonder what would happen if corruption in the court system in the USA, up to and including SCOTUS, conspired to hand the Presidency to Trump.  Unlike in 2020 where claims of a ‘stolen’ election were pretty much dismissed (despite what opinion polls say I question how many Republicans genuinely believe it) an election openly rigged is bound to create chaos within the country and beyond.

I guess we might find out soon enough!

The major problem is that there are a growing number of ordinary people in America who would be willing to accept a dictatorship so long as it was their guy in charge. That's why the Republicans are so bold about this now, and it has little to do with Trump; most of the big names in that party hate him. He's a useful shield; if it all falls apart, he'll be the one who gets the blame for the work they've all put in.

Most Republican voters aren't quite willing to openly say it's what they want, but they'll accept the flimsiest of pretences, devoid of any evidence, if it will bring about a single party state.

5 minutes ago, BFTD said:

The major problem is that there are a growing number of ordinary people in America who would be willing to accept a dictatorship so long as it was their guy in charge. That's why the Republicans are so bold about this now, and it has little to do with Trump; most of the big names in that party hate him. He's a useful shield; if it all falls apart, he'll be the one who gets the blame for the work they've all put in.

Most Republican voters aren't quite willing to openly say it's what they want, but they'll accept the flimsiest of pretences, devoid of any evidence, if it will bring about a single party state.

Substitute “fearful Whites” for “Republicans” and you’ve hit the nail on the head. The, relative, good news is the percentage of people feeling this way is declining as they die off.

Consider the (relatively) smooth move to the more multicultural Britain you have now…can contrast to what is happening in the U.S. right now. Yes, Britain had issues and bumps and is not fully integrated, but you’re a damn sight further along than we are right now. Contrast what happened in the UK to what is happening in France and Poland as well, and you see similar issues as the U.S. is having.

Farage (auto-correct suggested garbage) and his lackeys are trying to dog whistle up more outrage and anger, but overall in the UK most everyone has various neighbours and friends and know it’s all just a racist trope. It’s just the disillusioned, and especially the poorly educated, with few opportunities that swallow the hook.

Take that as you will, but the Republican Party in the U.S. has a much larger pool to fish in.

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

Substitute “fearful Whites” for “Republicans” and you’ve hit the nail on the head. The, relative, good news is the percentage of people feeling this way is declining as they die off.

Consider the (relatively) smooth move to the more multicultural Britain you have now…can contrast to what is happening in the U.S. right now. Yes, Britain had issues and bumps and is not fully integrated, but you’re a damn sight further along than we are right now. Contrast what happened in the UK to what is happening in France and Poland as well, and you see similar issues as the U.S. is having.

Farage (auto-correct suggested garbage) and his lackeys are trying to dog whistle up more outrage and anger, but overall in the UK most everyone has various neighbours and friends and know it’s all just a racist trope. It’s just the disillusioned, and especially the poorly educated, with few opportunities that swallow the hook.

Take that as you will, but the Republican Party in the U.S. has a much larger pool to fish in.

We will never have a ‘fully integrated society’ unfortunately because certain sections do not want to integrate.

I was a youngster during the summer of love and the ideas that emanated from that were encapsulated a couple of years later in the lyrics of the Blue Mink song Melting Pot.*.  Sadly the idea of integration breaks down when there are insufficient shared values, rather we have self imposed social ghettoisation.

* ironically some of the wording would be frowned upon today despite the sentiment.

1 hour ago, ScotiaNostra said:

No matter how much I read Kamala is clear favourite and going to win, I just have the fear that Trump could start to claw back votes in those crucial states and the Dems could still f**k it all up.

She's going to win the popular vote, probably by a bigger margin than Clinton or Biden.

The only thing that matters is the Electoral College, and that's by no means certain.

It's like when you were a kid and beat your mate at arm wrestling, only for them to say, "doesn't count 'cause I wasn't ready".

49 minutes ago, BFTD said:

She's going to win the popular vote, probably by a bigger margin than Clinton or Biden.

The only thing that matters is the Electoral College, and that's by no means certain.

It's like when you were a kid and beat your mate at arm wrestling, only for them to say, "doesn't count 'cause I wasn't ready".

😃

45 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

The Electoral College is a nonsense tbh. How can someone get less votes than their opponent and still win?

Anyone know, how has it gone in the past ? When Obama, Clinton, Bush, Reagan  etc won Were they winning both the popular vote and electoral College?

I dont remember hearing much about Electoral College back then

7 minutes ago, ScotiaNostra said:

Anyone know, how has it gone in the past ? When Obama, Clinton, Bush, Reagan  etc won Were they winning both the popular vote and electoral College?

Bush Jr lost the popular vote to Al Gore in 2000 but won it in 2004 against John Kerry.

Clinton, Obama and Reagan won the popular vote in their elections.

Bush Sr won the 1988 popular vote when he was elected.

Edited by Richey Edwards

8 minutes ago, ScotiaNostra said:

Winning Presidents have failed to be the popular choice a few times in the past, but it's only started to become an issue again in this century.

Bush Jr's the only Republican to have won the popular vote since his dad in 1988, and even then it was when he was running for his second term on the back of the 9/11 madness.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_presidential_elections_by_popular_vote_margin

3 hours ago, TxRover said:

America is a very untypical nation.  It has only two direct neighbours, has never been invaded, and underpinned by the Monroe Doctrine it has acted with impunity across the globe.  As such it's people do not react well to change.

3 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

America is a very untypical nation.  It has only two direct neighbours, has never been invaded, and underpinned by the Monroe Doctrine it has acted with impunity across the globe.  As such it's people do not react well to change.

These guys would disagree with you.

native-american-cultures-gettyimages-80242318.thumb.jpg.a0aabc95352906b09984daf4838f9725.jpg