US Presidential Election 2024

scottsdad

6 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

There’s probably a small demographic of skinwalkers who’ve tried to blend into human society that empathize with him, but I can’t imagine there’s enough of them in one place to make much of an impact. 

He's presumably trying to appeal to the Kid Rock demographic - people who cosplay as rednecks while secretly coming from privileged backgrounds.

You'd think these creeps would give actual rednecks the boak.

4 minutes ago, BFTD said:

He's presumably trying to appeal to the Kid Rock demographic - people who cosplay as rednecks while secretly coming from privileged backgrounds.

You'd think these creeps would give actual rednecks the boak.

Greeny for narrowing down the Kid Rock demographic to something other than ‘complete fannies’. 

50 minutes ago, CTQP1867 said:

I'm sorry but I don't remember the Putin puppet Gabbard "seeing off" KH at all?

From what I recall KH was the only one with the baws on that stage to launch an attack on Joe Biden - and that's the kind of pit bull I want to bring to a fight with the Orange Shrek.

Just watched it again - you've got to be on drugs to come away with that conclusion. Putin's bitch actually attacked KH from the Left on law and order for being tough on criminals and locking too many people up, whereas the Chameleon Gimp has now moved further right than Goebbels on law and order. I don't think Shrek will be attacking KH for her strong stance on law and order ffs!

11 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

Yeah, I don’t remember that either - TBF I don’t remember much of that town hall/debate, but when it broke that Tulsi is apparently helping Trump with his debate prep there were loads of folks giving it ‘oh dear - here’s Kamala putting her right in her box at the Dem town hall’ and linking to a video. Surely if Gabbard had bodied her they’d have just ignored that particular story? 

Not sure if we're talking about more than one debate here., but the one most widely shared was when Gabbard quite rightly called out Harris for keeping inmates in prison beyond their sentences for cheap labour, and blocking evidence which would have released an innocent man from death row. If that's being 'tough on crime' then society is f**ked.

5 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

Not sure if we're talking about more than one debate here., but the one most widely shared was when Gabbard quite rightly called out Harris for keeping inmates in prison beyond their sentences for cheap labour, and blocking evidence which would have released an innocent man from death row. If that's being 'tough on crime' then society is f**ked.

This is the video that was getting chucked about in response

And this is a fairly detailed account of her time as a prosecutor - https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna163518

Not a dig mate, but I’m not sure I’d say Tulsi Gabbard ‘rightly’ called her out before I’d done a deep dive on what she was coming out with, because there’s estate agents I’d trust more than Tulsi Gabbard. 

9 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

This is the video that was getting chucked about in response

And this is a fairly detailed account of her time as a prosecutor - https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna163518

Not a dig mate, but I’m not sure I’d say Tulsi Gabbard ‘rightly’ called her out before I’d done a deep dive on what she was coming out with, because there’s estate agents I’d trust more than Tulsi Gabbard. 

I'm pretty sure those specific accusations were never really countered at the time and were 'fact-checked' to death.

Gabbard leaves open goals for her opponents by being happy to speak to the undesirables. 'Cosying up to the enemy' is political suicide. Quite the turnaround for a former golden girl of the party.

19 minutes ago, Zetterlund said:

I'm pretty sure those specific accusations were never really countered at the time and were 'fact-checked' to death.

Gabbard leaves open goals for her opponents by being happy to speak to the undesirables. 'Cosying up to the enemy' is political suicide. Quite the turnaround for a former golden girl of the party.

The only folks I've ever seen - whether in the media, on social media, or in conversation - who've ever been high on Tulsi have been all been Trump fans. To a man. And sometimes it was literally with that - 'oh, she's quite happy to be bi-partisan'. That was from a guy who swore blind to me Trump was all about legal immigration when I was busy telling him that, no, if you were on a working visa, Trump had just (this must have been almost exactly six years ago) made the green card application process about a year longer (and $1500 more expensive, in our case), which really isn't a whole barrel of laughs when you're in a country where you've got very few employment rights and the visa ties you to one company. So forgive me when I say all my experience with folks who back Gabbard has been with wrong uns and, rightly or wrongly, I dismissed her at that stage. I see very little point in being bi-partisan with the GOP in its current form and I don't know that Harris' idea of appointing a Republican to cabinet is a good one - perhaps a red Governor of a blue state like Charlie Baker -but I think you'd be picking from a very very few candidates. Why the f**k you'd want to play nicey nicey with a party whose leader keeps rambling on about how he's going to put you all in jail, I've no idea. 

ETA - although the landscape may change should Harris win the election and be in said position - you might get a couple of Congressmen saying "i always hated that c**t anyway' or Miss Lindsey finally coming out of the closet and not having to worry about Trump telling folks he's gay anymore etc. 

Edited by carpetmonster

17 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

The only folks I've ever seen - whether in the media, on social media, or in conversation - who've ever been high on Tulsi have been all been Trump fans. To a man. And sometimes it was literally with that - 'oh, she's quite happy to be bi-partisan'. That was from a guy who swore blind to me Trump was all about legal immigration when I was busy telling him that, no, if you were on a working visa, Trump had just (this must have been almost exactly six years ago) made the green card application process about a year longer (and $1500 more expensive, in our case), which really isn't a whole barrel of laughs when you're in a country where you've got very few employment rights and the visa ties you to one company. So forgive me when I say all my experience with folks who back Gabbard has been with wrong uns and, rightly or wrongly, I dismissed her at that stage. I see very little point in being bi-partisan with the GOP in its current form and I don't know that Harris' idea of appointing a Republican to cabinet is a good one - perhaps a red Governor of a blue state like Charlie Baker -but I think you'd be picking from a very very few candidates.  

ETA - although the landscape may change should Harris win the election - you might get a couple Congressmen saying "i always hated that c**t anyway' or Miss Lindsey finally coming out of the closet and not having to worry about Trump telling folks he's gay anymore etc. 

My sister moved to NYC a couple of weeks before Trump won in 2016,  and to say she was horrified would be an understatement. She had a nightmare with the green card process although I'm not sure how much of that was because of the orange one or just the existing system.

Just now, Zetterlund said:

My sister moved to NYC a couple of weeks before Trump won in 2016,  and to say she was horrified would be an understatement. She had a nightmare with the green card process although I'm not sure how much of that was because of the orange one or just the existing system.

Used to be that if you were on a marriage based visa that you could apply for your GC after 3 years, and they’d interview you to make sure it wasn’t a sham marriage etc. 

On a working visa you did 5 years but then your GC was basically just signed off - especially in our case as we moved over as a transfer with a big blue chip who get issued a certain number of visas per year - they’re referred to as ‘blanket visas’. Trump changed the rules so that on a working visa you had to be interviewed also, and put no more resource into USCIS, creating a 12 month backlog almost overnight - it was likely longer by the end of his tenure. Which was why you’d roll your eyes quite hard when he’d wonder why America couldn’t attract ‘the best and brightest’ - 6 years is a fairly long time to go with no job security in a foreign country when you can be hoofed out just because your boss fired you because it’s Tuesday. 

2 hours ago, CTQP1867 said:

I'm sorry but I don't remember the Putin puppet Gabbard "seeing off" KH at all?

From what I recall KH was the only one with the baws on that stage to launch an attack on Joe Biden - and that's the kind of pit bull I want to bring to a fight with the Orange Shrek.

Just watched it again - you've got to be on drugs to come away with that conclusion. Putin's bitch actually attacked KH from the Left on law and order for being tough on criminals and locking too many people up, whereas the Chameleon Gimp has now moved further right than Goebbels on law and order. I don't think Shrek will be attacking KH for her strong stance on law and order ffs!

Netanyahu puppet Harris. Netanyahu's bitch Harris.

Gabbard has a revolting worldview, she is firmly on the wrong side for this upcoming election, but she has not been the second most senior figure in an administration funding, arming and covering for genocide. 

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Remember, you're not a racist unless you lynch someone while specifically stating, "I am doing this because I hate people of this person's race".

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

This seems to have stemmed from a post on Jack Posobiec’s account and now they’re all running with it. While there is a woman accused of eating a cat in Ohio, she’s not Haitian. These are the most gleefully stupid c***s on this planet, and the sooner the planet is rid of them, the better. 

7 hours ago, Sir Tarmo said:

Trump is pretty hard to debate in that you can’t throw any facts or figures at him as he isn’t arsed and it doesn’t affect his debate style. If you instead get into an insult war with him, you’ll always come out losing more, as it’s expected of Trump and doesn’t seem to affect his support. Harris’ record as a prosecutor could be used against her but I highly doubt Trump will go down any structured route in this debate. In terms of mics being muted, it will obviously affect Trump’s interrupting tactics, but it will also affect Harris as her debate style has previously involved letting other interrupt before politely shutting them down by pointing out that they have interrupted. It will also allow Trump to look slightly less rude and embarrassing and will limit oppoertunities to create ‘viral’ clips of Harris owning Trump etc. I suspect polling will remain tight until the final election but I think there is more on this debate for Harris. 

Harris will be thoroughly drilled on responding to Trump's Gish Gallop (https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2024-09-05/gish-gallop-and-the-harris-trump-debate) approach. You simply pick ONE thing he threw out there, disprove it clearly and succinctly and ignore the rest. It makes all his arguments seem as weak as the disproven one.

6 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Read somewhere that by spending money in Florida and Texas the Dems are forcing Trump’s lot to focus there too rather than just the swing states, just in case.  The idea is to make the Republicans spread their resources wider too.

Not sure if it’s the best strategy but it’s a deliberate one.  They maybe trying to influence the down ballot battles too, particularly as abortion might play a pivotal role.

It's a couple of things. 1) Spending money in places that the Republican's HAVE to counter in because they are getting money at about three times the rate of the R's. 2) It's strengthening their down ballot results one way or the other, with money spent to shore up Ted Cruz not being spent on a couple of close House races in perhaps North Carolina. 3) It's seeding dissent within the Republican Party because of all the money being poured into Trump's campaign (and pockets).

The State level abortion propositions are similar, in that they are designed to increase turnout on the Democratic side, and while the rabidly Anti R's would vote anyway, the mild nature of the propositions makes some of the moderate R's perhaps decide to sit this out as they actually agree with it and dislike Trump too. 

3 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

Used to be that if you were on a marriage based visa that you could apply for your GC after 3 years, and they’d interview you to make sure it wasn’t a sham marriage etc. 

On a working visa you did 5 years but then your GC was basically just signed off - especially in our case as we moved over as a transfer with a big blue chip who get issued a certain number of visas per year - they’re referred to as ‘blanket visas’. Trump changed the rules so that on a working visa you had to be interviewed also, and put no more resource into USCIS, creating a 12 month backlog almost overnight - it was likely longer by the end of his tenure. Which was why you’d roll your eyes quite hard when he’d wonder why America couldn’t attract ‘the best and brightest’ - 6 years is a fairly long time to go with no job security in a foreign country when you can be hoofed out just because your boss fired you because it’s Tuesday. 

The amount of ex pats I know that have no idea how Trump  nobbled the visa system is nuts.

Show me a major tech or financial or whatever CEO that agreed with that policy, there are none. 

There are also a dose of Brits who seem to think that US isolationism is somehow good for the UK. Somehow it doesn’t apply to them. 

15 minutes ago, bigmarv said:

The amount of ex pats I know that have no idea how Trump  nobbled the visa system is nuts.

Show me a major tech or financial or whatever CEO that agreed with that policy, there are none. 

There are also a dose of Brits who seem to think that US isolationism is somehow good for the UK. Somehow it doesn’t apply to them. 

If one was being cynical, Elmo is always surrounded with a load of Indian guys whenever he’s pictured at Twitter HQ. If they’re all on H1-B’s and stuck there then that means he’ll get an extra however many months out of them before they’ve got the freedom to tell him to shove his shitty broken website and piss off elsewhere. 

ETA - that’s actually a terrible example on my part because of the system of issuing green cards by country (long preceded Trump) - if you’re Norwegian and there’s very few of you in the States, chances are it’s just gonna be whatever the backlog is til you get yours. If you’re Indian or Filipino, good luck . 

“Emily Neumann, a managing partner at Reddy Neumann Brown PC, noted a recent application for a client who has needed to renew his H-1B five times  waiting for his green card priority date. “He’s been with the company for 16 years. Still no green card solely because he was born in India.” An H-1B denial, layoff or economic downturn could force him to leave the country.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stuartanderson/2024/04/14/more-than-1-million-indians-waiting-for-high-skilled-immigrant-visas/#

Edited by carpetmonster