US Presidential Election 2024

scottsdad

15 minutes ago, BFTD said:

No it's whatsisname cutting about Palo Alto who showed a pic of his girlfriend which it turned out he'd copied from an advert. I thought @TxRover might be Swampy but he says not.

Edited by welshbairn

14 hours ago, Freedom Farter said:

Netanyahu puppet Harris. Netanyahu's bitch Harris.

Gabbard has a revolting worldview, she is firmly on the wrong side for this upcoming election, but she has not been the second most senior figure in an administration funding, arming and covering for genocide. 

You have no comprehension of US politics farter and what do you think will happen to the Palestinians if Trump is elected? 
Many Jews have already switched their support to Orange Himmler simply based on his staunch support of Israel alone - plus they are massive funders of the Democratic party. It’s a fine line for a Democratic leader to walk and it’s naive to come out with pish like that above. If she gets elected at least she can reign in Netanyahu a bit - with Trump he’ll have carte Blanche to nuke the West Bank….

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

No it's whatsisname cutting about Palo Alto who showed a pic of his girlfriend which it turned out he'd copied from an advert. I thought @TxRover might be Swampy but he says not.

Whoa, I've totally missed all of that!  :lol:

1 hour ago, CTQP1867 said:

You have no comprehension of US politics farter and what do you think will happen to the Palestinians if Trump is elected? 
Many Jews have already switched their support to Orange Himmler simply based on his staunch support of Israel alone - plus they are massive funders of the Democratic party. It’s a fine line for a Democratic leader to walk and it’s naive to come out with pish like that above. If she gets elected at least she can reign in Netanyahu a bit - with Trump he’ll have carte Blanche to nuke the West Bank….

I know this. Gabbard herself is a staunch Netanyahu supporter. I thought I'd made it clear in my original reply that I want Harris to win in November. My point was this (taken from another thread):

12 hours ago, Freedom Farter said:

The two nations that buy the most influence over USA are Saudi and Israel. However, Democratic and Republican parties agree on this being a good thing therefore no complaints are made. The parties differ on Russia - at least in terms of rhetoric, less so in terms of action - therefore Russia wasting money on moronic podcasters, as was revealed last week, becomes big news. Does creating an association between the Republican Party and Russia/Putin actually change any votes? I don't know if there's actually much efficacy in that strategy. What I'm more interested in, though, is the true believers who genuinely think this is a good moral argument. It's a terrible stance. It suggests that victims of Russian crimes are worthy of empathy while victims of Saudi and Israeli crimes are not. The justification being that USA co-authors the Israeli and Saudi crimes but not the Russian crimes. 

Obviously we're not discussing specifically Russian-funded podcasters here but the same sentiment applies. I don't think the Russia/Putin line is a good one for the reasons I give above. Further, I think its an actively harmful narrative because it can stop Americans - those of Democratic Party sympathies - recognising the reality of US foreign policy.

Edit: I don't expect or demand that the Democratic Party and its aligned media stop using this narrative - they're trying to win an election so anything goes. Among us discussing it here, though, we can think beyond the scope of just this election and recognise problems with some narratives. Similarly, Harris' criminal justice record was mentioned in the thread recently. There's a wider US structural problem with things like prison labour in which Harris was a mere cog in the system. That can be discussed tangentially and when doing so that's not anybody arguing for Trump's Republican party to win this election. Anyone who cares about any of these issues also understands the Republican party make things worse on every single metric.

Edited by Freedom Farter

58 minutes ago, Freedom Farter said:

I know this. Gabbard herself is a staunch Netanyahu supporter. I thought I'd made it clear in my original reply that I want Harris to win in November. My point was this (taken from another thread):

Obviously we're not discussing specifically Russian-funded podcasters here but the same sentiment applies. I don't think the Russia/Putin line is a good one for the reasons I give above. Further, I think its an actively harmful narrative because it can stop Americans - those of Democratic Party sympathies - recognising the reality of US foreign policy.

Edit: I don't expect or demand that the Democratic Party and its aligned media stop using this narrative - they're trying to win an election so anything goes. Among us discussing it here, though, we can think beyond the scope of just this election and recognise problems with some narratives. Similarly, Harris' criminal justice record was mentioned in the thread recently. There's a wider US structural problem with things like prison labour in which Harris was a mere cog in the system. That can be discussed tangentially and when doing so that's not anybody arguing for Trump's Republican party to win this election. Anyone who cares about any of these issues also understands the Republican party make things worse on every single metric.

Two huge crocks of shit in other words, but one marginally less smelly than the other.

5 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Two huge crocks of shit in other words, but one marginally less smelly than the other.

Pretty much. If you're someone with a public platform and the reach to influence voters, you obviously don't sell it like that. You energetically praise Harris at all times and you look to maximise voter motivation. On pieandbovril we don't need to worry about that, though. Also, the problem is more about the system than the individuals. For example, Musk is now predicted to become the first ever trillionaire in a few years time. His malign influence on politics is only going to grow. Yet he's a sort of Frankenstein's Monster given how much state subsidy he's been given. The system needs changing.

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I genuinely don’t think it’s quite that simple.  The difference is one would be quite happy to undermine and remove the democratic process, as flayed as it may be, in the United States and the other one does not.  If it weren’t for the fact that the USA is by far the most powerful nation on earth I wouldn’t give a flying f**k if they had to endure four more years of Trump but the consequences of what happens in November goes well beyond the shores of the country involved and will have an impact way beyond 2029.

Trump isn’t George W or his father, he’s not Reagan, he’s not even the Trump of 2016; he and the folk around him are determined to create a whole new political reality that is no different from the far right in France and is emerging in parts of Germany.  The only difference is they could get their hands on all three branches of government with no checks and balances at all.

This could be an inflection point in history and it’s not good guy v bad guy, or even bad guy v bad guy, it’s bad guy v lunatic monster.

Edited by Granny Danger

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Appreciate the vote of confidence.

3 hours ago, BFTD said:

Whoa, I've totally missed all of that!  :lol:

It was amusing, to say the least. No idea whom the Swampy lad was, as it seems to have been well before my time, but that would play into the "is he now..." aspect.

36 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I genuinely don’t think it’s quite that simple.  The difference is one would be quite happy to undermine and remove the democratic process, as flayed as it may be, in the United States and the other one does not.  If it weren’t for the fact that the USA is by far the most powerful nation on earth I wouldn’t give a flying f**k if they had to endure four more years of Trump but the consequences of what happens in November goes well beyond the shores of the country involved and will have an impact way beyond 2029.

Trump isn’t George W or his father, he’s not Reagan, he’s not even the Trump of 2016; he and the folk around him are determined to create a whole new political reality that is no different from the far right in France and is emerging in parts of Germany.  The only difference is they could get their hands on all three branches of government with no checks and balances at all.

This could be an inflection point in history and it’s not good guy v bad guy, or even bad guy v bad guy, it’s bad guy v lunatic monster.

Let's not rehabilitate George Bush. He was very bit as bad as Trump. And the 2000 election was likely actually stolen.

16 minutes ago, Turkmenbashi said:

Let's not rehabilitate George Bush. He was very bit as bad as Trump. And the 2000 election was likely actually stolen.

Dick Cheney made all the decisions and was a f**king psycho. He was chairman and CEO of Halliburton until 2000 and he made sure they got the lion share of contracts in Iraq post invasion. I see he's currently back with them as chairman. And he shot his own lawyer in a "hunting accident".

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, Turkmenbashi said:

I can recall when Reagan was seen as the worst thing ever but later they went for George W Bush.

He was then seen as the worst thing ever until they then went for Trump.

It is one thing to object to whoever is the Republican candidate and another to realise Trump should not be anywhere near a position of power - let alone the most powerful job in the world.

11 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

I can recall when Reagan was seen as the worst thing ever but later they went for George W Bush.

It is one thing to object to whoever is the Republican candidate and another to realise Trump should not be anywhere near a position of power - let alone the most powerful job in the world.

^^^ this.

All Republicans are c***s but none of the past incumbents are comparable to Trump.

3 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

When Reagan got in the first thought was laughter at them picking a cowboy actor, then terror that he was going to start a nuclear war. Dubya just seemed like an idiot, his Dad at least got competent people around him. The frightening thing about Trump is he's totally unpredictable, he seems to think he's in a reality TV show that needs a plot twist every week or people will lose interest. He's also hugely keen to impress his wealthy Mar e Lago customers, so massive tax cuts for multi millionaires and corporations. The only thing going for him is big foreign wars don't interest him unless they're quick and low budget, I think he was dying to have a go at Venezuela but someone told him about all the jungles. 

I have an increasingly bad feeling that however the election pans out the result will bring huge problems.

A second Trump Presidency is an impending disaster, but a Harris victory will not find favour with many racist and potentially very violent Americans who will not easily accept a black woman as President.  

6 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I have an increasingly bad feeling that however the election pans out the result will bring huge problems.

A second Trump Presidency is an impending disaster, but a Harris victory will not find favour with many racist and potentially very violent Americans who will not easily accept a black woman as President.  

I am kind of hoping for just that sort of reaction (I know that’s easy for me to say not staying there) as I think the key institutions will side with the Presidency.

Maybe some sort of face off between militia types and the real US forces will put to bed any notion of a successful insurgency.

If Trump loses the MAGA movement is f**ked.  Trump will spiral downwards at an increasing rate, his idiot sons will realise they have no sustainable support, and the fight for the leadership of the Republican Party will be a total mess with the other 2024 Presidential wanabees (with added JD Vance) battling with each other.  I cannot see any of them being able to unify support.

Many traditional Republicans might use the opportunity to reestablish themselves and Nikki Haley could have been in a good position to lead that cause if she hadn’t capitulated late on to Trumpism.

8 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

Nice one, Sky News on Youtube showing the debate. Starts at 8am my time so time to rattle up some pop tarts with easy squeezy cheese n grits with a big mug of joe. Let battle commence.

I think BBC iPlayer is as well, I am going to watch on that.