US Presidential Election 2024

scottsdad

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Not sure if Trump loves Vance.  He must realise by now that the guy’s a liability.

He'll be fine with Vance until he shows "disloyalty", or becomes a useful shield to deflect from his own failings.

11 hours ago, Rugster said:

I think I heard on the radio that after she posted on Instagram encouraging people to register to vote something like 35,000 people registered within a day which was the most people in one day for 5 years.

2 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

How did the eating pets thing even start? I'm thinking there are several possibilities:

1. Haitian migrants are actually eating the locals' cats & dogs.
  2. Someone ate a cat or a dog, but it had nothing to do with migrants.
  3. Nobody ate anything and it's all completely made up.

Struggling to see past option 3 here.

There were accusations of ducks being eaten from a local park by immigrants, not proven however (as mentioned), in Springfield. Around the same time in another city in Ohio somebody did eat a neighbours cat (but a non-immigrant drug addict as opposed to a Haitian). And somebody mixed the two stories together.

13 minutes ago, Turkmenbashi said:

There were accusations of ducks being eaten from a local park by immigrants, not proven however (as mentioned), in Springfield. Around the same time in another city in Ohio somebody did eat a neighbours cat (but a non-immigrant drug addict as opposed to a Haitian). And somebody mixed the two stories together.

Exterminating...sorry, expelling all the imergants is the car that the fascist dogs exist to chase, but I'm occasionally curious about who their next demon would be if they successfully rounded up millions into camps for...processing, as Trump supposedly wants to do. Presumably drug addicts would be pretty high on the list, whether or not they munch on cats, as he was delighted with the massacre of dealers, addicts, and anyone accused of it that happened in the Philippines.

Naturally, in this country we'd have to take a long, lingering look at the season ticket roll for Clyde FC.

1 hour ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

I just watched the Jon Stewart segment from the Daily Show after the debate on YouTube.  Please look it out.

I did, it was shit.  Pity too, I remember when he was both funny and cutting edge.

9 hours ago, carpetmonster said:

The Greens certainly don’t seem like any kind of convincing political party. Who do they run? The odd senate candidate, and then Stein pops up every four years. Chicago has at least 3 DSA Aldermen, so if they want to be a party that offers an option left of the Democrats, I don’t get why they don’t run here. They’d likely get a few wards and have a say in the running of the city. They’ve had candidates in other parts of the state, but never ran one in the most progressive part of it. I don’t get it at all. 

Yes I do agree but I cannot bring myself to vote for either of the 2 mainstream parties and the greens are on the ballot here. If I was in a swing state I may have to reconsider although when I lived in NC I did not.

I do think if a decent amount of left leaning folks voted a 3rd party the Dems would have to think about swinging left but I can't see it in my lifetime.

3 minutes ago, BillyAnchor said:

Yes I do agree but I cannot bring myself to vote for either of the 2 mainstream parties and the greens are on the ballot here. If I was in a swing state I may have to reconsider although when I lived in NC I did not.

I do think if a decent amount of left leaning folks voted a 3rd party the Dems would have to think about swinging left but I can't see it in my lifetime.

Fair enough for being bothered to go out and vote then mate; I’d probably sit on my arse at home in the circumstance. 

I had actually forgotten the transgender operations for illegal immigrant prisoners because there was so much other shit going on.

4 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

How did the eating pets thing even start? I'm thinking there are several possibilities:

1. Haitian migrants are actually eating the locals' cats & dogs.
  2. Someone ate a cat or a dog, but it had nothing to do with migrants.
  3. Nobody ate anything and it's all completely made up.

Struggling to see past option 3 here.

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Somebody said a duck had gone missing from a pond, and social media latched on.

2 hours ago, Turkmenbashi said:

It was a couple of geese or ducks that were reported missing (it’s not like the6 might of flow  away, eh?), and indeed it was an older, non-immigrant white lady that cooked and ate a cat. Then a Reich-winger posted a “mashup”.

https://www.reuters.com/fact-check/no-evidence-haitian-immigrants-stealing-eating-pets-ohio-2024-09-10/

The UK has been here before. This article was based on idiots making baseless complaints to the police.

The Sun carried a small clarification on page 10 days later, saying that as nobody had been arrested or charged they couldn't be sure asylum seekers were doing this. The Press Complaints Commission decided that was good enough for them.

image.png.d1ec68ce1cac2aaaf00c8800edfde335.png

29 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

'Swan Bake' is a top tier pun to be fair.

For this, Cateaubriand might be too high brow for your average Midwestern.

Yea, Trump’s goose is cooked on this one.