Elgin City 23-24

21 hours ago, lufc6 said:

Interesting to see Smith saying if Elgin were closer to Dundee he would have stayed on.   I'm pretty sure that Elgin and Dundee were geographically in the same place before he took the job.  Complete nonsense.

To be fair on him, I know of a Glasgow based player that played for you a few season ago, who thought he could make the travelling work and it would be ok. Put plans in place to juggle his work and his football, even trained with a local side one night etc etc. However the harsh reality of doing it was different to what he thought it was going to be and 5 or so months later he was gone as it simply took it's toll on him and all aspects of his life.

It worked for Gavin Price obviously (who still lives around Stirling way I believe) but that doesn't mean it works for everyone. Smith may have just been the same as the player I know. Maybe he thought the travelling wasn't an issue at first and that he could make it work, only to find out he couldn't. I've no idea what he does away from football but maybe the changes he made to his life, again, just didn't work. I suppose we will never know.

2 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

To be fair on him, I know of a Glasgow based player that played for you a few season ago, who thought he could make the travelling work and it would be ok. Put plans in place to juggle his work and his football, even trained with a local side one night etc etc. However the harsh reality of doing it was different to what he thought it was going to be and 5 or so months later he was gone as it simply took it's toll on him and all aspects of his life.

It worked for Gavin Price obviously (who still lives around Stirling way I believe) but that doesn't mean it works for everyone. Smith may have just been the same as the player I know. Maybe he thought the travelling wasn't an issue at first and that he could make it work, only to find out he couldn't. I've no idea what he does away from football but maybe the changes he made to his life, again, just didn't work. I suppose we will never know.

I think Price lives in Aberfeldy does he not? He's certainly got a pub there - I've been in it and didn't realise it was his! It's still a bit of a commute mind you.

4 hours ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I think Price lives in Aberfeldy does he not? He's certainly got a pub there - I've been in it and didn't realise it was his! It's still a bit of a commute mind you.

My mistake, my son told a few years ago that he ran a pub that started helping a foodbank in Aberfoyle, he must have read the article wrong so my mistake.

On 17/11/2023 at 15:58, 1993 said:

Price does live in Aberfeldy. He owns several pubs there and received an MBE for helping set up and run food deliveries for vulnerable people during the pandemic. He does/ did have a caravan at Lossie.

Am I right in thinking Jim Weir Is involved in running a pub himself now or is that just whispers Associating Jim with prices pubs?

Edited by ScottishLoon

6 hours ago, ScottishLoon said:

Am I right in thinking Jim Weir Is involved in running a pub himself now or is that just whispers Associating Jim with prices pubs?

Nah your right their was an article in the Daily Record a few weeks ago with Weir and his missus taking over a pub.

13 hours ago, Super Elgin City said:

Didn't expect much today. So a 1-0 defeat to a penalty is not overly bad.

2 season defining games against Forfar and Clyde coming up at BB. 

If we can somehow get a win on Tuesday and go 5 clear of Clyde that puts them under huge pressure.

I thought Elgin were quite well organised, physical, if Rob Jones' header goes in when it was 0-0 it could have been different, in saying that we hit the woodwork 5 times yesterday.

Clyde look a weaker side than Elgin, good luck for the rest of the season.

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Nairn boss Sid MacKay is the favourite for the job I've heard.

https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/sport/nairn-county-manager-reported-to-be-target-for-elgin-city-333482/

He certainly seems to be the favourite according to the linked article. If Elgin have approached as suggested then that would make him heavy favourite.

Highland League have some talented managers. Our manager Spider, Cowie (Broch), Hale (Huntly), Anderson (Formartine) & Donaldson (Locos) to name a few.

Robert Jones has played well. Offers something different in the air and puts a shift in. No more penalties, please. 

As for Steven Mackay, he's a bit of an arsehole. Didn't like him much as a player and from what I hear he's not exactly a player favourite in the dressing room at Nairn. When shit inevitably hits the fan for us I'm not sure he's the guy to get us out of a hole.