Elgin City 23-24

14 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

I see we've recalled Blair McKenzie.

Is he struggling or will this be due to our lack of cover at the back?

He’s barely played recently but he’s definitely got better as the season went on - much more confident than he was at the start.

Our defence is looking good at the moment so there hasn’t really been much of a chance for him to get back into the side

57 minutes ago, DukDukGoose said:

I see we've recalled Blair McKenzie.

Is he struggling or will this be due to our lack of cover at the back?

I never rated him as a left back, which is where he played the majority of his games for us, although I'd agree he got better as time passed. He looked a fair bit more comfortable at centre back, which is unsurprising given his height, so he might have a future with you playing there.

I did hear in our social club back in August that Crystal Palace offered you £200k for him.

19 minutes ago, afca32 said:

I never rated him as a left back, which is where he played the majority of his games for us, although I'd agree he got better as time passed. He looked a fair bit more comfortable at centre back, which is unsurprising given his height, so he might have a future with you playing there.

I did hear in our social club back in August that Crystal Palace offered you £200k for him.

Aye, Crystal Palace were close to getting him.

I know he's well thought of at Pittodrie but I'd imagine Crystal Palace were after him for quotas etc.

Looked a bit lost at left back and maybe took a while to get used to the more agricultural football played in Div 2 . Looked like a typical Academy player schooled in playing out from the back and nothing else. Once he fills out he will have the physique of a centre back and obviously has football ability.

Trouble is Gallagher, Golding, Jones and probably Ewen won’t be back next year, possibly a couple of others so another complete re build required so difficult to be overly optimistic. Also nagging at the back of my mind is how much finance will we have after obviously spending more than we usually do in the last window.

5 minutes ago, 1993 said:

Trouble is Gallagher, Golding, Jones and probably Ewen won’t be back next year, possibly a couple of others so another complete re build required so difficult to be overly optimistic. Also nagging at the back of my mind is how much finance will we have after obviously spending more than we usually do in the last window.

Agreed, although I've no idea what the contract situation is like with the loanees so we might find we're fortunate enough to sign one or two of them permanently depending on their parent clubs' situation. Not sure how convinced I am by the likes of Barron, Dangana who we've clearly spent a bit of money on.

That being said, I have faith in Allan's reach within the game to bring guys in that can put in a shift given who he's brought in so far. 

On 17/02/2024 at 21:17, 1993 said:

The increase in crowds certainly helps to start paying that back and if these guys keep producing this form, it's gonna surely lead to an increase in season ticket sales in a few months too. Isn't Isla Benzie's background in Bank management? You'd like to think that would help keep things under control a bit. 

Increased ticket sales will help but it’s a drop in the ocean. I heard that we need 600 at a home game just to break even. The early Scottish Cup exit cost us a fortune. Others in our division got big Premier League pay days.

I notice Ben Barron has got 8 goals in his 5 games on loan at Nairn so far. Obviously it's a weaker league but still impressive for a guy who only recently turned 19, which I think people sometimes forget because he's got the build of someone much older. If he carries on scoring like that he'll be very confident of coming back and making more of an impact next season.

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, covefan97 said:

How's Dajon Golding getting on with you? 

Overall he has been very good. Added a lot of energy/pace to the team and always looks a threat. I mentioned over on the cove thread that his end product can be pretty poor but the flip side to that is if he had a consistent end product he wouldn't be on loan to us and would surely be a starter for you guys. 

30 minutes ago, Elgin Macca said:

Overall he has been very good. Added a lot of energy/pace to the team and always looks a threat. I mentioned over on the cove thread that his end product can be pretty poor but the flip side to that is if he had a consistent end product he wouldn't be on loan to us and would surely be a starter for you guys. 

I'd have kept him here I rate him but I expect him to leave in the summer and probably join you permanently which would be a good signing. Completely forgot Mark Gallagher is on loan with you too how's he getting on?

Edited by covefan97

2 hours ago, covefan97 said:

I'd have kept him here I rate him but I expect him to leave in the summer and probably join you permanently which would be a good signing. Completely forgot Mark Gallagher is on loan with you too how's he getting on?

He's looked good also. Again, very energetic and comfortable on the ball. I would take them both in the summer no problem!

17 hours ago, covefan97 said:

How's Dajon Golding getting on with you? 

Thought he looked good against us on Saturday, can hold the play up well, has a good touch and a bit of skill about him. Looked to me like he could easily be top end league 2, into league 1 level. 

1 hour ago, 1993 said:

No chance we will be able to hold onto either in the summer. 

Can't see you getting Gallagher think he'll be given more of a chance to impress with us. maybe Dajon but I suspect he'll have better financial opportunities from other Scottish clubs maybe or back down south.