Germany 2024

invergowrie arab

43 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Edinburgh-Gatwick-Larnaca on the 5th then Larnaca-Venice on the 9th, then fly from Venice to Edinburgh the following day is what we’re doing. We’ve accommodation booked in Larnaca and will travel to Nicosia on match day. 

You finding the flight costs are mental for Cyprus? Hopefully booking up this week flying from London to napa for a few days with jet2, but was surprised that a package deal worked out cheaper than flights alone!

2 minutes ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

You finding the flight costs are mental for Cyprus? Hopefully booking up this week flying from London to napa for a few days with jet2, but was surprised that a package deal worked out cheaper than flights alone!

Aye, didn’t expect it to be so expensive either. We were about £170 odd for the flights on that route which was the cheapest we managed to find that didn’t involve a 6am flight on the Saturday morning. Sure the price over there will more than make up for it though

On 29/06/2023 at 15:15, latapythelegend said:

I have booked a place in Oberhausen for a fortnight for a grand which is pretty central for all the north west cities. Transport will be easy peasy from there. The actual cities themselves are proving to be expensive.

I’ve booked 7 nights in Oberhausen, stayed there when at an exhibition in Essen, decent place, trains to many destinations close enough to Dusseldorf for taxis back if late. £1200 for four twin rooms in NH Oberhausen 

We've booked an apartment in Krefeld for six of us for the duration of the group stage, close enough to Dusseldorf by train to spend most of our time there anyway and was ridiculously cheap compared to being in Dusseldorf itself.

Just booked Düsseldorf for the group stages, not tempting too much fate…., but I’m absolutely stoked!

Grew up when we qualified for every World Cup, 3-0 Morocco game was my 30th, Never thought it’d be my 56th birthday before I could finally get to a tournament *Glasgow 2 years ago really didn’t count

4 minutes ago, Connor7 said:

Hotel booked in Cologne and Bonn. Has anyone been to either of them? Got decent prices on digs at these

Was in Cologne in April and it’s a lovely place - would recommend it to anybody. Kölsch is an excellent beer too. 

8 minutes ago, PSJ.84 said:

Was in Cologne in April and it’s a lovely place - would recommend it to anybody. Kölsch is an excellent beer too. 

Was having a look at the transport. I assume the central station in Cologne will go to most cities? 

13 minutes ago, Connor7 said:

Was having a look at the transport. I assume the central station in Cologne will go to most cities? 

Could be misremembering but I’m fairly sure you could go the majority of places from there, aye

8 minutes ago, Connor7 said:

To most host cities there's a direct fast train from Cologne's central railway station (Hauptbahnhof or "Hbf") or from the secondary Cologne train station (Messe/Deutz, which is a 15 min walk over the bridge, or take the train for 2 minutes), or otherwise in some cases one change in another city.  Or to the closest nearby host cities there's also the slightly slower trains as an option which will still get you there pretty fast.  

It's a nice place.  Definitely a lot of fun to be had.  They're very proud of their Kölsch beer.  Find a nice beer hall.  It will be a fun atmosphere during the tournament.  

25 minutes ago, Connor7 said:

I think Köln is right at the heart of the Rhine-Ruhr network. Trains go to Frankfurt, Dortmund, etc from there.

Plenty of InterCity stuff as well, AFAIK.

1 hour ago, Connor7 said:

Hotel booked in Cologne and Bonn. Has anyone been to either of them? Got decent prices on digs at these

I have some German friends who tell me Bonn is nice/pretty for a short tourist visit and has a great museum but is really boring in terms of bars and nightlife.

I also have a free cancellation place booked in Bonn as it’s got good links to the Rhine/Ruhr host cities (20 minutes train to Cologne) and is also only about 90 minutes from Frankfurt. It also seems to be far cheaper than some of the actual host cities like Dusseldorf.

10 hours ago, Connor7 said:

Live in Cologne and currently my work is based in Bonn. Happy to help with anything.

Got somewhere to crash in Berlin so will be flying oot there and based there for the group stages, fingers crossed one of the games is in Berlin or Leipzig! Probably better aff oot west as there's more of a cluster of potential grounds there, but a free bed is a free bed.

Edited by coineanach

49 minutes ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

Seen Bonn mentioned a few times. Been lucky enough to see Berlin, Frankfurt, Munich and Nuremberg, so going to a new city would be ideal. 

Out of the cities on the Rhineland to visit, would Bonn be high up the list?

Similar to you, I'm keen to stay somewhere new. I've done Duisburg, Dusseldorf, Dortmund and Berlin in the past, so if anyone else has any tips on a good base in NRW it'd be great to hear.

We are currently looking at either Cologne, Bonn or Wuppertal. Cologne is probably the first choice at the minute but is definitely the most expensive so we're also considering cheaper digs in Bonn or Wuppertal and just getting the train into the nearby host cities for games/days out. 

12 minutes ago, dezz said:

Similar to you, I'm keen to stay somewhere new. I've done Duisburg, Dusseldorf, Dortmund and Berlin in the past, so if anyone else has any tips on a good base in NRW it'd be great to hear.

We are currently looking at either Cologne, Bonn or Wuppertal. Cologne is probably the first choice at the minute but is definitely the most expensive so we're also considering cheaper digs in Bonn or Wuppertal and just getting the train into the nearby host cities for games/days out. 

My experience of frankfurt which will fairly or unfairly get stick, was that the red light district and its seedy/rundown vibe seeped out into the whole city, loads of beggars, dealers, users scattered about. So I wouldn't be keen to go there again, unless scotland are playing there.

4 hours ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

My experience of frankfurt which will fairly or unfairly get stick, was that the red light district and its seedy/rundown vibe seeped out into the whole city, loads of beggars, dealers, users scattered about. So I wouldn't be keen to go there again, unless scotland are playing there.

I'm there for 3 nights, sounds delightful.